Topic Author

The impending death of the 3.5mm audio port gains a new ally

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:24 pm

First Apple. Now Intel.

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: The impending death of the 3.5mm audio port gains a new ally

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:41 pm

I don't understand this new-fangled fad with removing ports/jacks on devices.  Why does 3.5mm audio need to go?  Throwing out the analog jack and forcing everything to use USB just means more expensive audio devices that now have to include their own DAC.  All this is going to result in is a bunch of overpriced headphones and earbuds that have terrible DAC's in them.  Yes, you can argue that it could go the other way and allow us to have headphones and earbuds with better DAC's in them, and while I'm sure many will be made, it's mostly going to result in the former happening.

Not only that, but in some ways more importantly, I'd quite like to charge my phone AND use the audio jack at the same time.  I can't do that if it's only got a single USB port.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:46 pm

Acidicheartburn wrote:
I can't do that if it's only got a single USB port.

- Wireless charging
- Bluetooth headset

Krogoth
Gerbil Elder

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:50 pm

3.5mm audio port is not dying anytime soon. It will remain on A/V equipment for the foreseeable future. It may disappear on ultra-thin smartphones though.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

End User
Topic Author

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:52 pm

Krogoth wrote:
disappear on ultra-thin smartphones though.

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:54 pm

@ End User:

Neither of those apply to me.  For one, my car doesn't have an Aux jack, USB input, or Bluetooth.  It does have a tape deck, which means I use a cassette adapter, necessitating a 3.5mm jack.  Furthermore, if there was only a single USB port on my phone forcing me to use an external DAC, I would then lose the ability to charge my phone in the car while I use it for music.

Secondly, I already have a good set of analog headphones that allow me the option of using an external headphone amp, both of which I would be unable to use via Bluetooth.  Ditching the 3.5mm jack is asking millions of people to go out and buy a whole new set of headphones or earbuds, something which is totally unnecessary.

Thirdly, Bluetooth doesn't allow you to use external USB DAC's.
Last edited by Acidicheartburn on Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krogoth
Gerbil Elder

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:55 pm

End User wrote:
Krogoth wrote:

Ultra-thin smartphones are an inconsequential niche as far having a 3.5mm port is concerned.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:58 pm

Krogoth wrote:
Ultra-thin smartphones are an inconsequential niche as far having a 3.5mm port is concerned.

Not to worry. There will be plenty of dedicated audio devices that keep the 3.5mm for decades yet.

Phones phone. Music widgets music. No need to conflate the two.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

End User
Topic Author

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:00 pm

Krogoth wrote:
End User wrote:
Krogoth wrote:

Such as the iPhone 7?

End User
Topic Author

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:03 pm

Acidicheartburn wrote:
@ End User:

Neither of those apply to me.  For one, my car doesn't have an Aux jack, USB input, or Bluetooth.  It does have a tape deck, which means I use a cassette adapter, necessitating a 3.5mm jack.  Furthermore, if there was only a single USB port on my phone forcing me to use an external DAC, I would then lose the ability to charge my phone in the car while I use it for music.

It's time to get a new car. One that will allow you to enjoy a 3.5mm free existence.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:08 pm

Bah. Come back to me when consumer-priced phones or music widgets carry 1 TiB of storage so I can bring all the lossless music I'd ever want. Even if I could homebrew such a device, the only way it would talk to the car is a 3.5mm AUX jack.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:14 pm

I for one fail to see what kind of problem(s) ditching the 3.5" jack is suppose to solve. What is wrong with the 3.5" audio port anyway?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:15 pm

End User wrote:
It's time to get a new car. One that will allow you to enjoy a 3.5mm free existence.

If my current Subie's head unit would grok any form of lossless compression AND not mandate FAT32 I'd be OK with that. Even though the bloody thing will play an inserted CD in full lossless glory, it will not play .WAV files (a/k/a the exact same files as on the music CD) through the USB port.

Yes, I could do many things of which you speak. I want full lossless 16/44.1 at a bare minimum. That is the the hill on which I'm willing to die. I don't want to listen to lossy music.

End User
Topic Author

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:18 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Bah. Come back to me when consumer-priced phones or music widgets carry 1 TiB of storage so I can bring all the lossless music I'd ever want. Even if I could homebrew such a device, the only way it would talk to the car is a 3.5mm AUX jack.

I'm no audiophile but I have a dedicated audio storage device in my car that is connected via a digital cable to my car audio system. It even connects to my home Wi-Fi when I park it in my garage. I can manage the playlists remotely. No 3.5mm required.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:21 pm

whm1974 wrote:
I for one fail to see what kind of problem(s) ditching the 3.5" jack is suppose to solve. What is wrong with the 3.5" audio port anyway?

My perfect dream would be a Subie head unit that groks WAV or FLAC files from a USB-attached portable SSD formatted as NTFS parked in the console bucket so I could control it from the myriad buttons on the steering wheel. The down-step is a device that can hold 512 GiB or so that can play through an AUX cable.

The only thing wrong with the 3.5mm is that is no reasonably economical way to purchase a device with the storage capacity I require.

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:23 pm

End User wrote:

Why would anyone buy a new car for the sake of a new head unit? It's a good two orders of magnitude less costly to just change what needs to be changed, if it's a problem at all. On a related note, I think anyone who's buying a car on the basis of the stock head unit is doing it wrong. :-? Edit: aside from maybe new cars with everything so integrated that you can't change it, but that's garbage design anyway.

whm1974 wrote:

Me too. Phones are plenty thin enough as is, and analog audio output is a lot more dependable than any digital means.

End User
Topic Author

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:26 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
End User wrote:

If my current Subie's head unit would grok any form of lossless compression AND not mandate FAT32 I'd be OK with that. Even though the bloody thing will play an inserted CD in full lossless glory, it will not play .WAV files (a/k/a the exact same files as on the music CD) through the USB port.

Yes, I could do many things of which you speak. I want full lossless 16/44.1 at a bare minimum. That is the the hill on which I'm willing to die. I don't want to listen to lossy music.

I take it you have installed a killer speaker system in your Subaru. One that magically cancels out the warble from your flat 4/6 to delivery the exquisite tones only lossless can provide?

End User
Topic Author

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:32 pm

synthtel2 wrote:
End User wrote:

Why would anyone buy a new car for the sake of a new head unit? It's a good two orders of magnitude less costly to just change what needs to be changed, if it's a problem at all.

Your reply was two orders of magnitude more than I was hoping for. I salute you. :D

Krogoth
Gerbil Elder

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:42 pm

whm1974 wrote:

Smartphone users with an ultra-thin fetish hate it because it was one of the things that prevented further miniaturization.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:43 pm

End User wrote:
I take it you have installed a killer speaker system in your Subaru. One that magically cancels out the warble from your flat 4/6 to delivery the exquisite tones only lossless can provide?

Subie installed the speakers (slapped a Harmon-Kardon badge on everything, and it's better than the custom system I spent $3,000 on back in 1988), they redesigned all of the turbos 3-4 years ago to take out that Subie warble/trill, and yes, even at age 52, I can still hear the 15 KHz tone that was preserved on the BBC mono CD version of what would have been the vinyl run-out groove for the original pressing of side 2 of Sgt. Pepper.

I don't really care if you care but I really want to listen to lossless music. I'm finding that car systems aren't designed for that, and it's beginning to annoy me.

End User
Topic Author

Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:00 am

Captain Ned wrote:
End User wrote:

they redesigned all of the turbos 3-4 years ago to take out that Subie warble/trill

So sad.

Captain Ned wrote:
even at age 52, I can still hear the 15 KHz tone that was preserved on the BBC mono CD version of what would have been the vinyl run-out groove for the original pressing of side 2 of Sgt. Pepper.

Whoa. I'm 48 yet it's as if we are separated by 40 years.

Captain Ned wrote:
I don't really care if you care but I really want to listen to lossless music. I'm finding that car systems aren't designed for that, and it's beginning to annoy me.

It is within the realm of possibility, albeit remote, that my next car will not have a sound system at all (GT350R). Fortunately the soundtrack of the GT350R is lossless. :)

Frugal
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:19 am

The 3.5mm jack was the best we could do 40 years ago, it is time to update.

If everything needs a DAC, I can promise that very soon we would see some very serviceable but dirt cheap DAC chips and a fair variety of very good DACs for not much more.

I am looking forward to the change.

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:18 am

DACs already have to be everywhere, though. This just moves them from one end of the cable to the other. Cheap DACs are bad because it's surprisingly hard to make a good cheap one, not because of any lack of thought put into it by the relevant companies.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:23 am

1: i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32GiB, RX Vega64, ½TB 960Pro +2TB MX500, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, LG 32UD99 + UltraSharp U2410, RK9000V2-BR
2: R5-3600X, Wraith Spire, B450M Steel Legend, 32GiB, RX5500XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, P160, SS-660XP2, TV, G610

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:52 am

You should change the thread title to the impending death of Intel. :D

Any phone without a 3.5mm jack is a no buy for me ever. I specifically ditched my old phone and grabbed a 6S because of the rumours that the 7 would be sans 3.5mm jack.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

Cannonaire
Gerbil

Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:58 am

whm1974 wrote:

In the interests of copy protection, companies might be trying to implement something similar to HDCP to close the 'analog loophole.'
That's just pessimistic speculation, though.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:44 am

Captain Ned wrote:
..the only way it would talk to the car is a 3.5mm AUX jack.

Not necessarily. Almost all factory Car stereos have a DIN connection (round 8-pin connector) that goes unused most of the time. You could buy a cable that uses that connection on one end and whatever connector on the other.

I remember using that exact same method on my own car (1991 Honda Accord) back in 2003 to connect my iPod to it. In fact I bought the cable from Cruthcfield.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:19 am

Frugal wrote:

Why? What is the perceived benefit? I have yet to see a single argument that moving away from the 3.5mm headphone standard is worthwhile for anything other than the existing standard is "old". It is, but it's also universal and very functional.

I am looking forward to the change.

Again, why? How does it improve things?

superjawes

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:25 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Frugal wrote:

Why? What is the perceived benefit? I have yet to see a single argument that moving away from the 3.5mm headphone standard is worthwhile for anything other than the existing standard is "old". It is, but it's also universal and very functional.

This. If it ain't broke DON'T FIX IT. It's been around for so long because it works and hasn't needed an update. No one is clamoring to replace the wheels on cars because the technology is "old".

Well it does allow the phone to be a bit slimmer and might be easier to waterproof...at the expense of making music listening more complicated, requiring customers to buy new equipment, and probably no positive impact to battery life.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

End User
Topic Author

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:26 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:

It is a redundant port (and a waste of space) as there is a both a digital port and a wireless tech that can handle the workload.