Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Samsung S5 AT&T - Marshmallow (Finally)

Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:03 pm

It feels kind of bitter sweet getting this update.... I've been waiting for this update for such a long time that it almost seems cruel to release it now. My S5 has been one of the best phones I've ever owned, hands down. So it's sad to finally get an update that makes it feel insanely faster/snappier after I've been dealing with a failed Gyroscope. So no auto rotate and I've been living with a screen rotate app to manually turn the screen for videos, reading, ect.

Anyway... in case anyone was wondering, the 6.0.1 update is nothing short of amazing. Before the phone would jutter if switching between lots of apps or would sort of sit there to exit them. Typing sometimes would delay a little bit but then type suddenly what I had pressed. Now it is fluid, instant and I can switch between apps within a 1/4 of a second and consistently 20+ times with no sign of slowing.

I'll have to wait longer to see if the new deep sleep and app state really helps with battery life. Otherwise if there are any hold outs there with an S5 who might have one sitting in a drawer, dust it off and update it. It feels like the difference between a fresh Windows install without drivers and then suddenly you install the video/chipset drivers to awaken the system.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Re: Samsung S5 AT&T - Marshmallow (Finally)

Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:44 pm

I guess the new standby or sleep options in Marshmallow really work because I used to get through a day of use and be at right under or below 20% life left. Yesterday I went through an entire day and (this exact moment his 15%) didn't plug in my phone through the night. When I got home at 11pm last night, my phone was at 51%.

This means it was more efficent when in use, and probably close to 2-3× more efficent when in standby. Excellent, I think I'll hold off on getting a new phone as I've become used to the manual rotation which isn't too bad after getting used to it for months. Was hoping the update would somehow fix it... no such luck.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x