Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Anyone Excited about Google Pixel?

Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:47 pm

allreadydead wrote:
ludi wrote:
allreadydead wrote:
I don't think it's even legal. I got a Nexus Phone with the promise I'll get everything Google's Android has to offer.

I think you made some assumptions that weren't stated in the EULA.
Yes, I did. My assumption is based on my point of view to pixel.

"I don't think it's even legal" goes quite a bit further than "I don't think it's ethical" or "I don't want to deal with companies that do business on these terms," hence my comment.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:56 pm

Two posts in a row with completely broken quotes. I had to flip back through to see who said what. Get it together, guys! :lol: :lol: :roll:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:11 pm

The new quoting system is a bit challenging at first :)

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:42 pm

druidcent wrote:

Fun fact, in Vivaldi, the Forums ignore line breaks. I have to immediately edit all my posts to create spaces between paragraphs.

seankay
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:53 am

Vhalidictes wrote:
seankay wrote:
Will it be a worthy opponent to iPhone 7 and Galaxy S7 in the market?

No. 1) Too expensive, 2) No SD Card support because Google Drive or something.

Actually, if someone can explain Google's hate of local storage, I'd be interested to find out why.

Now I also believe you are right. But the thing is that it is google and everybody knows them so still I am not too sure how it will turn out to be. As far as the hate of local storage is concerned then definitely google wants everyone to be on their cloud cause they don't own SanDisc or any other yet :D

Kougar

Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:55 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
druidcent wrote:

Fun fact, in Vivaldi, the Forums ignore line breaks. I have to immediately edit all my posts to create spaces between paragraphs.

It happens in all browsers, I posted or PM'd about it when the update was new. If you use the "view source" option when making posts you can add the breaks yourself before posting or during edits.  

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:10 am

Vhalidictes wrote:
Actually, if someone can explain Google's hate of local storage, I'd be interested to find out why.

Stability and performance.

SD cards are dreadful for random access performance, and Google found that a lot of crash reports were caused by Android apps running from buggy no-name or counterfeit SD cards, so they decided to remove the slot.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:21 am

I'm okay with that, got the 128 to make up for it. Don't use more than that anyway.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

SecretSquirrel

Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:35 pm

I noticed, over the weekend, that all the Pixel commercials say "Only available on Verizon", or something similar. I'm assuming the commercials are Verizon produced, and they are trying to make is sound like they are special, instead of hold-outs. If not, it would seem to be a horrible advertising screw up on Google's part.

--SS

trackerben

Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:39 pm

Only on Verizon? Stuck Pixels?

allreadydead
Gerbil

Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:38 pm

So, I won't quote :P it does not seem fixable.
Anyway, yes, they are 2 seperate things. I think it's not ethical and shouldn't be legal at all. I already told why in my previous post. However, I feel like, if I quote myself, I'll create a chaos of quoted posts that would turn to a forum blackhole and destroy TR. No pixel is worth of that. Not even a dead nor stuck one.

Stuck ones are more annoying btw..
[email protected] GHz, Noctua C14 to keep it cool, ASUS Z68-V PRO/GEN3, 2x4 GB DDR3-1600 G-SKILL RipjawsX, EVGA GTX970 SSC+, Seasonic X750W (no coil whine, yay), 1x256GB Samsung 830 SSD, 2xSamsung 1 TB RAID 0, 1x2 TB WD Green, NEC 7173-S, Enermax Chakra

Redocbew

Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:48 pm

Be not afraid, gerbil.  It's pixels all the way down.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

trackerben

Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:02 pm

No further detail can be resolved in this issue. It's been pixelated!

Kougar

Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:54 pm

Time to bring this thread to a swift resolution

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:17 am

This thread has come to a fever (dot) pitch.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:23 am

C-c-c-completely by chance I'll be able to head home and pick mine up this weekend, looking forward to it. One I do ill also take the time to post a picture or two of the cosmetic heat damage my s5 had built from normal use.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:41 pm

Got my pixel in and have given it a bit of messing around time.

I'm loving the split screen, that's going to be absolutely invaluable on the road. I frequently have multiple types of maps or navigation tools open and being able to use them at the same time will be very nice.

It's leaps and bounds better at keeping up with me than my s5 was, but to be fair i don't think the s5 was all that slow. I just became very proficient with my tools and it couldn't keep up any more. I'm also happy about the assistant. I frequently need to know simple things regarding the safety of driving different places, or when i need to make a snap decision when i approach a backup, being able to shout out my question any time will be nice.

Now i feel like most people would probably knock the battery life because it seems like it eats batteries for breakfast, but i suppose that's the cost of power and it's normally mounted with power anyway. It also doesn't help that my usual routine involves it staying full brightness, active nonstop with a map or some such thing, usually running a hotspot, and probably youtube in the background for music.

+1 point, the transition was mind blowingly painless. Turn off old phone, turn on new phone, plug the two phones together using the included cable. Every video, song, contact, and app was transfered. Only minor things needed fixing which was usually the result of apps themselves not android. Verizon and android both get props for that easy process. Also plus one for usb- C. I know that lightning was symmetrical before it was cool, but i'm still happy that it's here. I hope usb-c turns out to be a durable design. I'll certainly be able to say whether or not it is in enough time. My s5's micro port was failing and required a particular angle to charge properly.
When drunk.....

fullbodydenim
Gerbil

Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:33 am

Lordhawkwind wrote:
As a Nexus owner from the beginning (only one I didn't didn't buy was the 6) and with a 6p now I'm going nowhere near a Pixel.Google are in cloud cuckoo land to think they can compete with Apple with basically phones from HTC who are nearly bankrupt. I do feel sorry for HTC as they've probably put a lot of effort into these phones and if they fail Google will shrug and say well we tried. Whereas HTC will be history. Has anyone ever seen someone using a Pixel C or Pixel Chromebook? Maybe they didn't sell them in the UK but if they did I've never seen one.

If they think Apple fans will switch to a Pixel maybe they've been smoking strange substances at their HQ. My wife, daughter and son all own iphones and ipads and there's no way on earth they'd move to Android despite my protestations to the contrary. Believe me I've tried. Google are basically knocking at a closed door with the Pixel and like Samsung they could get severely burnt! LOL. 

I hear you - as a current HTC One M8 owner with SnapDragon 801 I'm ready for an upgrade but don't want to shell out the money for a Google Pixel. I used to own a Samsung Galaxy Nexus a few years ago and I'm actually looking at the Motorola Nexus 6 Snapdragon 805 to get me by for the next few years. It's not the Snapdragon 821 like the Google Pixel but the cost is quite a bit less - I can sell my HTC One M8 and upgrade to the second to last Nexus device.

Murtlap
Gerbil

Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:26 am

another phone, nothing special