Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Ringtones on a Windows 10 phone

Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:58 am

I just got a Lumina to replace my dying cheapie Maven phone, and was trying to set Ringtones.  I wish I could take screen shots to better demonstrate this, but so far it's looking like I have to assign *one* ringtone for the whole phone. I've imported about 10 sound files into the ringtones folder on the phone and assigned them appropriate contacts (My brother is "The jerk Song" for instance).   HOWEVER, everyone was still getting the default ring tone. 

I can go into the settings menu on the phone, go to the ringtones option under personalization, and select *one* ringtone for the whole phone, but that's the only one that's working, and I can't make it accept multiple options as valid ringtones.

What am I missing?  What I saw online were instructions to do what I did--import files, then assign to the contact you want to use them for.  But that hasn't worked.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Re: Ringtones on a Windows 10 phone

Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:09 pm

You can take screenshots by simultaneously pressing the Volume Up and Power buttons.

When you set the ringtone for the contact, did you hit the Save icon at the bottom right? It's one of the few settings changes on Windows 10 Mobile that you actually have to tell it to save. Most everything else you can select and hit Back or Start and the selected option will save.

I just tested a ringtone change on my 950 XL for my wife's contact and had her call the phone. it's definitely working. I am, however, running on the Insider Preview Fast Ring (which is more likely to have bugs) on version 10.0.14977.

With regards to getting ringtones, I highly recommend the Zedge app. You can get both wallpapers and ringtones through it, and they will automatically download to the correct location.
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO | Intel Core i7-6700 | Zotac GTX 1080 8GB Mini | 2 x Corsair LPX 8GB | WD SN750 Black 500GB | 2 x Crucial MX200 500GB | 2 x WD RED Pro 4TB | Phanteks Eclipse | Seasonic X-850 | 2 x Samsung U28E590

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:20 pm

Yep, I did. And if you go into the contacts it'll show the ringtone I selected as being their ringtone; it just doesn't actually use it. Most frustrating

See: Image

It's there, it's set to be that, but all I get is the default ring tone for the phone. I downloaded Zedge and got ringtones from there and I'm still experiencing the same thing
Last edited by paulWTAMU on Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:31 pm

What model Lumia do you have? That doesn't look like Windows 10 Mobile, that looks like Windows Phone 8.1.

Also, there's no phone number associated with that contact so there's nothing for the ringtone to be activated against. You should also blank out the email address in your screenshot. :)
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO | Intel Core i7-6700 | Zotac GTX 1080 8GB Mini | 2 x Corsair LPX 8GB | WD SN750 Black 500GB | 2 x Crucial MX200 500GB | 2 x WD RED Pro 4TB | Phanteks Eclipse | Seasonic X-850 | 2 x Samsung U28E590

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:35 pm

there's PH, I just scrolled down to avoid it. The emails a burner account we use forspam

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:41 pm

I seem to recall there was a release where this was broken. Can you post a screenshot of your About page that shows the phone model and OS build/version?

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:42 pm

So, I realized I was running 8, so I upgraded to 10...and in so doing lost my contacts (getting most of them back in), and for some reason I can't seem to add multiple email accounts, AND the ringtones ar estill not working> I should have stuck with android :evil:

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:08 pm

You shouldn't have lost anything. And you definitely should be able to add more than one mail account...I have five or six on mine, including my Microsoft account, two Exchange accounts, and two Gmail accounts. I keep my contacts in one of the Exchange accounts.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:09 am

I tried contacting tech support for it but it said my phone number was invalid, and they're not offering chat (despite having a giant button that says chat with support being on their website).

So far I'm really leaning towards never buying another Windows phone.    Still can't add emails; not just multiple, any.  It says the account's succesfully added, I hit the "Done" button and then I go back and...no account.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:36 pm

curtisb wrote:
What model Lumia do you have?

+1 on that. Knowing the model may help.

Did you try factory reset/wipe the phone to see if you can add email accounts after that?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:53 pm

you can add as many email accounts as you want. that's not an issue with windows phone. Contacts are saved in your outlook or gmail account, unless you didn't setup the phone with any accounts, they'll all sync to the cloud, and you shouldn't lose any. I've reset my windows phones literally 25 times and never lost a contact.

post which build, model, and what issues you're unable to resolve and we'll help you sort them out. 

and lumina is a chevy. Lumia is a nokia.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:37 pm

640 XL, now running windows 10.    

I've got the personal contacts back in, I'll do the work ones at work Monday.   

Still can't figure out what's going wrong with the email, which is *really* pissing me off. That's part of the reason to have a smartphone.  I'll go to the account option, go to add account, enter my email and password (selecting Exchange for work, outlook for my personal one), enter them, hit done, exit out and when I go back there's nothing there.

Haven't been online much today following a trip to urgent care (my kid is suicidal and/or dumb and attempted to stop a cieling fan with his head)

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:36 pm

have you tried adding them in outlook? are they saying they're accepted and setup then when you go they're not there? Something is strange here, since you're using multiple versions of the OS and totally different email programs, so it's either a user error or a config error imo. can you post a screenshot of it finishing setting it up but then not being there?

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:20 pm

After I set it up this is what it shows:

Then I go back in and try to check my email and this is what's there:

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:23 pm

continuing in separate post because that's huge:

So I go through the "add account" crap, select Outlook.com (rather than exchange, AT&T Email, Google, etc), go through the prompts, it says Im' done, and then wham.

To make it worse, this is what I use for all my microsoft crap.

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:47 pm

Something just doesn't sound right. You shouldn't have lost anything when you upgraded from WP8.1 to W10M...even your WP8.1 apps should have stayed. This kind of explains how you lost your contacts, though. Without having the accounts setup the device doesn't have an online resource to save the contacts to so whatever wiped out your device in the upgrade process removed the contacts you had setup on the device. I wouldn't setup anymore contacts on the device until the email situation is straightened out...because if you do a factory reset--which is what I think we're all suggesting--you're going to lose them all again. Login to Outlook.com and setup your contacts there (and/or in your Exchange account). Once we get your email working they'll all be synced from those locations.

What Windows 10 Mobile build are you on right now? I'd tell you where to go to find it, but they've moved some things around from the regular releases to the Insider Preview Fast Ring releases. I think it's in the same place for the Anniversary Update though...which would be All settings > System > About. You want the Version and OS build. If you're on the regular release (not Insider Preview) I believe it should be 10.0.14393.xxx (the last part where the xxx's are can be different as Microsoft releases normal updates every month or so). That same screen should show you the Model as well. Don't post a screenshot (without editing it) because that will have your MAC and IMEI information as well.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:18 pm

have you done a reset of the phone through the about/reset setting? If that doesn't fix it, download the windows device recovery tool and reinstall windows. Weird that you're having that bug though. Not one I've seen.

EzioAs
Gerbil First Class

Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:39 pm

Have you tried adding an account through the Outlook app itself? Outlook>Manage Accounts>Add account

Also, make sure all Windows and apps are updated to the latest version.
Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 3200MHz | Palit Jetstream GTX 1060 6GB | Corsair HX750i | Corsair Obsidian 750D | 250GB Crucial MX500 | 320GB WD Blue | 1TB Samsung F3 | 2TB WD Black

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:51 am

After the last batch of updates (I've been installing 1-2 a day once I get home where the wifi is) it's finally frigging letting me add my emails. 

Old contacts are still gone but  eh, I've only got a couple dozen I need to put back in.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:07 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
Old contacts are still gone but  eh, I've only got a couple dozen I need to put back in.

Are you saving contacts with local phone storage and not associate with one of your cloud-based email? Having your contacts stored in the cloud does allow you to move around to different phones or reset as frequently as you want; not to mention you can edit the contacts more conveniently with your computer through a browser.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:52 pm

This time I'm saving them to AT&T's Address Book so I don't have to do this again.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:59 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
Yep, I did. And if you go into the contacts it'll show the ringtone I selected as being their ringtone; it just doesn't actually use it. Most frustrating

See: 

It's there, it's set to be that, but all I get is the default ring tone for the phone. I downloaded Zedge and got ringtones from there and I'm still experiencing the same thing

I had trouble seeing that image due to its small size.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:01 pm

True fact:

There are more Windows 10 phone ringtones than there are Windows 10 phones.

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:52 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
This time I'm saving them to AT&T's Address Book so I don't have to do this again.

I can tell you from experience (with my mother-in-law's Lumia 1520) that it's WAY easier to recover them if they're in an Outlook, Gmail, or other account besides the AT&T Address Book. Plus they're more portable to other devices that way. Also, with Windows 10 Mobile all of your settings are saved to OneDrive...provided you turn that on (it's been a while, that may be on by default now). It'll backup your Start settings/layout, Edge favorites, text messages, account settings, etc. It even knows which apps you had installed so it can reinstall them. For a lot of apps it'll even save the app state (the app has to be coded for OneDrive backup). I could wipe my phone right now and recover it to the current state without much fuss.

End User wrote:
True fact:

There are more Windows 10 phone ringtones than there are Windows 10 phones.

Boooooooooooooo.

In all seriousness, if Microsoft would put as much effort into the 4-6" screen size devices as they have into Surface I think things would be better. HP's Elite x3 and Alcatel's Idol 4s have both been selling well. I'm still happy with my Lumia 950 XL right now. Yes, there's still some app gap (no Snapchat, but who cares?), but it's not as bad as it used to be. And for the few apps that one might want an app for, I find their mobile sites work just fine in the Edge browser. For that matter, I use the full desktop version of most sites on my phone, TR included. My bank doesn't have an app, but I don't need it...I use their mobile web presence without any issues.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:19 am

Android is creeping me out. I like my headphones too much to drink the Apple juice. I'm looking at doing a Windows Phone. The rumors have died down but i think the Surface Phone is real and will cover it next year. These Continuum feature has me excited. It's too bad Ubuntu never really got thier phone with convergence going or I'd try that.