Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Weird LG G4 battery drain

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:30 am

Sunday morning I awoke to find my LG G4's battery unusually low. It was draining at 5-10% per hour, even with the screen off and no apps running. Battery usage screen did not show anything unusual. Rebooting did NOT help (the excessive battery drain continued).

Finally "fixed" it by popping the battery for a couple of minutes. After re-installing the battery and booting the phone everything appears to be normal again.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Weird LG G4 battery drain

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:38 am

Must be nice to have a phone where you can actually pop it out. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:49 am

User-replaceable battery and a micro-SD slot were my two "must have" features. Wireless charging was a "nice to have" (ended up DIY installing a third-party charging antenna I bought on Amazon instead of shelling out for the LG wireless charging back).

Edit: The whole thing was just kind of baffling. I guess something that doesn't get reset unless there's a complete loss of power to the device was either using a lot of juice, or messing up the battery monitoring.

Gems09
Gerbil In Training

Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:02 pm

did you ever find out what caused this problem in the first place? I was hoping to keep everything the same for my phone right now (ie no factory restore, no need to buy new battery, etc). I just closed all my apps every time but it doesn't seem to help that much.

ScruffySeconds
Gerbil In Training

Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:07 pm

My LG G4 started doing the same thing right before it fell victim to the boot loop bug and became unusable. Back up your data just in case your phone does the same!

rona rosen1
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:31 am

Here’s a solution I found online - maybe it’ll do the trick. Discharge your LG G4 thoroughly until it turns itself off. Turn it on again and let it turn off. Plug your phone into a charger and, without turning it on, let it charge until the on-screen or LED indicator says 100 percent. Turn your phone on.
Good luck!

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:12 am

My '13 Nexus 7 occasionally did stuff like this. Since it's hard to nail down exactly what's going on with mobile OS's (and bits and pieces are constantly being updated via Google Play), it's nearly impossible to know which app or background service is causing the issue.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:35 am

rona rosen1 wrote:
Here’s a solution I found online - maybe it’ll do the trick. Discharge your LG G4 thoroughly until it turns itself off. Turn it on again and let it turn off. Plug your phone into a charger and, without turning it on, let it charge until the on-screen or LED indicator says 100 percent. Turn your phone on.
Good luck!

That's a common problem with Android phones, small errors build up over time and they stop being able to estimate the battery's charge level.

I restart my phones at least once a month to keep the errors to a minimum, and I boot it from a full charge.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:41 am

Vhalidictes wrote:
rona rosen1 wrote:
Good luck!

That's a common problem with Android phones, small errors build up over time and they stop being able to estimate the battery's charge level.

Yes, I realize that this can happen with Li-ion batteries. It definitely wasn't my issue though, as the phone was also getting quite warm to the touch; so something was clearly chewing through electrons at a very high rate.

I would also just like to point out that my (the OP's) issue was solved back in January, and this thread has been necroed twice since then (the latest one being yesterday).

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:48 am

just brew it! wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:
rona rosen1 wrote:
Good luck!

Yes, I realize that this can happen with Li-ion batteries. It definitely wasn't my issue though, as the phone was also getting quite warm to the touch; so something was clearly chewing through electrons at a very high rate.

I would also just like to point out that my (the OP's) issue was solved back in January, and this thread has been necroed twice since then (the latest one being yesterday).

Sorry about that JBI! I've taken to clicking "Active Topics" for new posts so it's not always evident that someone necro'd.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:56 am

Yeah not blaming you, we all do it occasionally. Just pointing it out for anyone else reading the thread. :wink:

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:03 am

A while ago I noticed my phone was doing this thing where it looks like the battery is draining while it's on a high current charger. I ignored it and it shut itself down. Upon reboot it showed 45% battery life. :roll:
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:29 pm

Having worked in the tech industry for my entire career, crap like this does not surprise me in the least. If you've seen the kind of code that routinely makes it into shipping products, you'd be amazed that stuff works as well as it does.