Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Elderly Laptop: Time to assess fan age and re-apply Thermal Paste?

Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:55 am

So I have a 2011 Asus i7 ROG gaming laptop. This is the model that has the big exhaust vents with separate heatsinks+fans for CPU and GPU.

It's entering its seventh year now now and has spent quite some time with the fans blowing the heat out. The culprit is usually IE, Firefox, or some rogue updater task that I might not see (or hear, as the case may be) for a few days.

It's still a great laptop; runs Windows 10 just fine. Is it time to pull the heatsinks and fans from this unit, give everything a good cleaning, and reapply the thermal paste? The TIM on my desktop's H80i waterblock can get quite crispy-crunchy-hard after just 24 months, and this laptop has been in service nearly 24/7 for most of its lifespan.

And while I'm in there, should I consider swapping out the fans for newer ones? Normally, I'd wait for noise or some other problem to present itself before replacing fans. But since this is a laptop, maybe it would be wiser for me to capitalize on time spent, since I'll be opening the case anyway.

Opinions?

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Re: Elderly Laptop: Time to assess fan age and re-apply Thermal Paste?

Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:08 pm

I did exactly this with a 2011 Thinkpad T420 and it was a huge success, gave the laptop a whole new lease on life.

I didn't replace the HS+F assembly, because it's not the sort of part you can just get cheaply off the shelf. Fan itself was and is still running very well.

As long as you know what you're doing, I say give it a go.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:46 pm

Laptops around two to three years of age should have new thermal paste applied.

The only exception would be a Clevo/Sager model where you opted/paid extra for IC Diamond.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:53 pm

You may find the OE TIM was not paste, but was one of those adhesive-like substances that's designed to bake to the CPU surface and form a semi-permanent bond.  You can remove it from both surfaces the usual way and apply new TIM, but the benefit may be less than hoped.

What can be brutal, though, is a thin layer of dust, pet dander, etc. accumulating on the fins at the intake, and cleaning it will help muchly.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:00 pm

Thank you all. I'll probably do this in a few weeks.