Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

In the search for a small 2 in 1

Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:22 pm

Background: My first-generation Surface is feeling dog-slow and limiting as apps start to stop being updated, forcing me to use the web versions which is rather awkward even when Internet Explorer 11 is still mostly supported (at least that's better than Windows Phone), and I rarely use my laptop these days, probably due to how it's 15.6" and has a 2-hour battery lately.

Apparently the Surface 3 is no longer being sold locally in Malaysia where I'd prefer to buy from. However, HP does have the x2 10-p019TU/-p020TU (different colours), and it does seem to look fine - I actually got a hands-on with a demo unit weeks ago, and I keep thinking of buying it. I just need to see if it might be "good enough" for my purposes - namely, note-taking, drawing, and the occasional trial runs of a Unity 5 game project I've been working on privately to see if it chokes on a significantly slower system, in addition to whatever else the amount of system power allows.

For anyone who is curious, it seems to be a refreshed HP Pavilion x2 10 of the Windows 8.1 days.

Specs wise:
Intel Atom x5-Z8350
2 GB DDR3L-1600
Intel HD Graphics 400
10.1" 1280x800 IPS display (looks fine from what I've seen, kind of similar to my Surface RT, and a long shot nicer-looking than almost other hybrid I could also demo at the same price range, mostly due to a lack of noticeable tinting)
32 GB eMMC on tablet, 500 GB 5400 RPM 7mm HDD on dock
USB Type-C (2.0 speeds) accepts power input, USB 3.1 (Gen 1?) Type-A port, microSD card slot, mini HDMI, 3.5 mm headset jack
Intel (nonspecific) 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth (I'm surprised)
32.5 Wh battery, purportedly charges to 50% in 30 minutes
45W power adapter (I'm also surprised, does it need that much power?)
0.58 kg tablet only, 1.09 kg combined
An HP Active Stylus can be bought with it, sold separately (that's the kicker), but I wish I knew if it was pressure-sensitive. The demo unit does proclaim that it has full pen and touch support in System, though.

Would the system be able to keep up with... hmm, what do people normally use for digitally drawing on a tablet PC? Thinking of something about at most 2K-sized with a lean amount of layers (just extending from how I draw on paper with pencil).

What else would I realistically able to do with it?

The two things bought together would be RM 1586.01 including taxes, free shipping on HP's own online store. I couldn't find anyone selling the pen on a retail location.

Should I, or should I just try waiting a bit more and see if anyone bothers to release another 2-in-1 detachable hybrid that isn't priced like an Ultrabook? (The Surface 4 seems to be long-overdue, but... hmm.)

Really, though, I'm fine with something as expensive as the Surface Pro 4. I'm just wondering if there's a need to possibly spend that much, given that I do a lot of computing on my desktop and my phone anyway.

EDIT: Went out this afternoon among local computer shops after having lunch. I found some Surface 3s on sale, but I don't think they're worth it when its price premium is too high relative to its MSRP. Something is wrong with the prices for it, even when considering it's the 4 GB/128 GB model.

The only model commonly available in stock was the Surface Pro 4, i5 with 4 GB/128 GB. The Type Cover is a separate purchase (eugh).

Tried out the Lenovo Yoga Book. The fake keyboard is too weird to type on and doesn't let me rest my fingers on it, and the fake trackpad is equally weird. This won't do.

The Acer Switch Alpha 12 seems to look good, too, if a bit cheap-looking for its price (looks like a generic black tablet slate). Is Acer build quality good enough these days?

I'm guessing I'm pigeonholing myself into a select few laptops due to my needs...
[email protected] | Patriot 2x16GB | Asus GTX 970 | Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi | Intel 660p 512GB + Kingston Fury 240GB + 2x4TB WD HDDs | Win 10