Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

general_tux
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Issues with Moto X Pure since Dec '16 Security Update

Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:02 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a Moto X Pure Edition (XT1575) and I been experiencing some really strange issues since the last security update.

The first issue is that Bluetooth turns off randomly throughout the day. I make sure it is turned on each morning (since I sync my fitness/sleep tracker) and it stays on through my commute. However, by the time I leave work, Bluetooth has turned off and I have to manually turn it back on before I start driving to have it connect to my car. Is anyone else having similar issues?

The second is with sounds for notifications. Now, if I have my phone set to non-silent mode, I will get sounds to play for phone calls and SMS messages, but emails no longer consistently play notifications. Rebooting the phone will restore them temporarily but they will go away again some time later.

My phone is running Android 6.0 and the Dec. 1, 2016 security patch. Neither of these issues were present before the latest security patch and both started to happen immediately after that update.

I have done several searches and found that other people seem to have similar Bluetooth issues but I have not found anyone providing a fix. Has anyone here experienced these problems and know of a solution?

Thanks!
Main: Intel i7-5775C w/ Noctua NH-D14, single fan | Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW | GSkill DDR3-1866, 32GB | Corsair Pro 750W Gold
HTPC: AMD A10-7850K | ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ | GSkill DDR3-2400, 8GB | Silverstone SFX 450W

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Issues with Moto X Pure since Dec '16 Security Update

Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:19 pm

I have this phone. I don't have this problem. Maybe its one of your apps or maybe your phone has a circuit problem.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

general_tux
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:06 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
I have this phone. I don't have this problem. Maybe its one of your apps or maybe your phone has a circuit problem.
I don't think that either of these issues could be hardware related since Bluetooth works perfectly with all of my connected devices when it is turned on. Also, all other notification sounds play, so I don't think that could be hardware related either. The only app that I think it could be is the Gmail app since it seems to be the only one affected. I have verified that notifications are all enabled for it but still the issue persists. I'll try using Inbox instead and see if notifications are consistent when using it.
Main: Intel i7-5775C w/ Noctua NH-D14, single fan | Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW | GSkill DDR3-1866, 32GB | Corsair Pro 750W Gold
HTPC: AMD A10-7850K | ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ | GSkill DDR3-2400, 8GB | Silverstone SFX 450W

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:03 pm

You're not going to like this option, but have you tried doing a factory reset of the phone? Sometimes it's the only way to clear out a borked software driver.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

general_tux
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:24 pm

ludi wrote:
You're not going to like this option, but have you tried doing a factory reset of the phone? Sometimes it's the only way to clear out a borked software driver.
I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that but I will give it a go if it comes to that.

As for the notification issue, it seems to only affect the Gmail app. I downloaded the Inbox by Gmail app to see if that also has the issue. If it works as it should, I will just wait and see if the next Gmail update fixes the issue.

As for the Bluetooth issue, it seems to be more common that I would have thought. I am in the process reading through this post at Android Central, hopefully it has something helpful later in the thread.

general_tux
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:55 am

So after a bunch of searching, I found that the most likely culprit for the Bluetooth issue is the Moto app. Disabling its voice command feature seems to have resolved the issue of Bluetooth turning off. So far, it has been about 18 hours without it needing to be turned back on, which I haven't been able to do since before the update. I never used the voice commands feature in Moto before but I do use the gesture commands for the light and camera quite regularly. Let's hope that the app was the cause of the problem. If it comes back, I know where to look.

As for the Gmail notification issue, after searching a bit more for similar symptoms, I found someone mention to check whether Gmail was set to "Notify for every message". Sure enough, somehow this was no longer checked. I'm not sure how or why this changed but I'm hoping that was the only reason for the weird notification behavior for just the Gmail app.