Personal computing discussed

Moderators: David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

New Phone Experiment

Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:27 pm

My 2nd gen Moto X is about dead. I went in search of a phone with the following primary retirements:
Security updates
Headphone jack
Not expensive

Hwawei was an option but I'm not confident on the updates. Oppo phone is huge and has a murky future. So that leaves.... Windows Lumia 950. To boot it has the display output/dock and wireless charging and an SD card slot and a removable battery. Downside is obvious, the apps. But I've looked and 3 of 4 apps I use daily have a Windows 10 version. So here goes nothing. I bought a used one save money just in case I need to go back to Android when the HMD Nokia brings it to the USA. It arrives this weekend. I know that I may be a population of 1 but here goes nothing!

EzioAs
Silver subscriber
Gerbil

Re: New Phone Experiment

Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:39 pm

It's not one. There are dozens of us!

How much did the 950 cost you? I know some WinPhone fans now prefer the HP Elite X3 but it's probably a bit too expensive compared to the 950. Did you also looked into the Alcatel Idol 4S?
Last edited by EzioAs on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoOne ButMe
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:01 pm

Still have my 1520 as backup (and offline maps on SD card!).

Wish WP supports everything I need on the go.

I prefer the UI/OS way more.
currently running: Clevo W230SD, i7-4710MQ, 1TB SSD, 960m, win10 Pro + 1 HP Pavilion 22XI monitor and sometimes a 1080p 32" Vizio TV.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:06 pm

Losergamer04 wrote:
My 2nd gen Moto X is about dead. I went in search of a phone with the following primary retirements:
Security updates
Headphone jack
Not expensive

Well, just like the old NASA saying (better/faster/cheaper; pick 2), you're in the same boat.
If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:20 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Well, just like the old NASA saying (better/faster/cheaper; pick 2), you're in the same boat.

I've always heard it as fast, cheap, and reliable. I find it disappointing that these days, with ransomware and data stealing, that a basic requirement of patching reduces my options to just a handful of phones.

EzioAs wrote:
How much did the 950 cost you? I know some WinPhone fans now prefer the HP Elite X3 but it's probably a bit too expensive compared to the 950. Did you also looked into the Alcatel Idol 4S?

I got it for $195 after shipping. I'm glad to see I'm not TOTALLY alone ;)

I guess the big "experiment" is whether or not Windows Phone is viable these days. I keep hearing "it's dead" but there are some really unique features. I just learned there is a beta with Skype to do SMS relay. That is awesome. Skype is the only other "big" name in messaging that does video, groups, audio, and text on most platforms and online. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Skype on Windows Phone handle SMS, too? I miss the all-in-one Hangouts :(

EzioAs
Silver subscriber
Gerbil

Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:49 pm

Yes, you can use Skype for SMS too though you'll have to change it in Settings>System>Messaging>Default apps.

I've been using Skype for SMS for a couple of months now for the SMS relay to PC. The con though is that Skype is a little bit slower to open compared to the default Messaging app.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:27 pm

Neat! That will be something I try out after things are set up.

I just received the shipment of accessories I ordered. The dock is surprisingly beefy, as in heavy. It has a 3 Amp 5v USB A to C power supply and cable. The "brick" is rather light and small for the power it can put out. I picked up some Anker A to C cables and a Qi charger. The charger claims 1.5 Amps of current draw and a efficiency >75%. Now I just need my phone!

Bobs_Your_Uncle
Gerbil

Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:46 pm

Losergamer04 wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

I've always heard it as fast, cheap, and reliable. I find it disappointing that these days, with ransomware and data stealing, that a basic requirement of patching reduces my options to just a handful of phones.

I guess the big "experiment" is whether or not Windows Phone is viable these days. I keep hearing "it's dead" but there are some really unique features.

Aside from the most recent "exercise in renaming" that "formally" transitioned "Windows Phone" back to "Windows Mobile" (though I think "officially" it's "Windows 10 Mobile") the platform is still viable and it's being maintained in parallel with all other MS platforms; Win10, Server, XBox, etc. In fact, since Intel abandoned their mobile (i.e. phone) chip development, MS is developing full fat Win10 to run within ARM emulation. Their plan is to run a full feature set, and not a hobbled version like the one that was offered via Windows RT.

I use Windows Whatever (Mobile/Phone/Name du jour) & I'm happy with it. It offers the apps I need (not a big trendy new app guy), it's stable, receives updates & is at least as secure (if not significantly more so) than iOS & certainly Android.

Without rehashing history, MS has been EXCEPTIONALLY frustrating for WinPhone fans, but in fact the only folks that seemingly haven't declared the platform D.O.A. is MS. There are plenty of rumors, as always, ( http://www.ibtimes.com/new-microsoft-pa ... ch-2515247 ), but unless something game changing surfaces (no pun intended) with Android, iOS, I'll probably hang with WP until MS officially throws in the towel.

Good Luck & let us know how it goes for you! ... And I've always heard it said that you can have "Terrific Product; Excellent Service; Great Pricing ... pick two!"

Philldoe
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:50 pm

I'm really surprised you didn't grab a Nexus 6. You can get them off ebay in the $200 range and they were updated to Android 7.0 recently. Going to custom rom route you can get PureNexus v7.1.1 and it's stupidly easy to root and unlock a nexus phone.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:42 pm

Philldoe wrote:
I'm really surprised you didn't grab a Nexus 6. You can get them off ebay in the $200 range and they were updated to Android 7.0 recently. Going to custom rom route you can get PureNexus v7.1.1 and it's stupidly easy to root and unlock a nexus phone.

Updates only go for 18 months. I've used the party ROMs but I'm not comfortable with their security. If suffer through my Moto issues if I could easily replace the battery. I've fixed other phones but that was before kids.

Mr Bill
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:23 am

Losergamer04 wrote:
Security updates
Headphone jack
Not expensive

Hwawei was an option but I'm not confident on the updates. Oppo phone is huge and has a murky future. So that leaves.... Windows Lumia 950. To boot it has the display output/dock and wireless charging and an SD card slot and a removable battery. Downside is obvious, the apps. But I've looked and 3 of 4 apps I use daily have a Windows 10 version. So here goes nothing. I bought a used one save money just in case I need to go back to Android when the HMD Nokia brings it to the USA. It arrives this weekend. I know that I may be a population of 1 but here goes nothing!
The Moto X Pure Edition goes for as low as $199 and you don't have to have a plan or extend your current plan to get it.
Security Updates: not sure what you mean here, last one was December 2016
Headphone jack: check, and it actually works
not expensive?: well cheaper than the latest verizon or sprint dataphone offerings.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro

Philldoe

Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:10 am

Losergamer04 wrote:
Philldoe wrote:

Updates only go for 18 months. I've used the party ROMs but I'm not comfortable with their security. If suffer through my Moto issues if I could easily replace the battery. I've fixed other phones but that was before kids.

The Nexus 6 was released in 2014. And yet it has an official update to 7.0. The custom Rom Pure Nexus, which literally uses the google released code, then adds a few bits like themeing and random useful features won't have any more security flaws than the Google rom, in fact, since they are on 7.1.1 they have fewer security issues than the stock rom. If Root access is an issue then simply don't give apps permission if they ask, or go one step further and turn off Super User.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:51 am

I appreciate the advice. I will keep it in mind if this doesn't work out. I'm at a point in my life where time is at a premium and lading a ROM it isn't something I have time for. I'm looking for an out-of-the-box experience right now.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:55 am

Mr Bill wrote:
Losergamer04 wrote:
Security updates
Headphone jack
Not expensive

The Moto X Pure Edition goes for as low as $199 and you don't have to have a plan or extend your current plan to get it.
Security Updates: not sure what you mean here, last one was December 2016
Headphone jack: check, and it actually works
not expensive?: well cheaper than the latest verizon or sprint dataphone offerings.

I am still irritated they took away my feature that read my texts to me when I was driving. Google does updates monthly and has a proven track record, Moto does not. Still an option for later, but I'm not happy with how they have treated me with my 2ng gen X.

blahsaysblah
Gerbil XP

Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:46 pm

Dont know your location but Google Fi still offers new 32GB Nexus 5X for $249(includes activation) if you're in US and decided to switch to Android.

It will still get the major Android update near the end of this year and the monthly security patches through end of next year.

Have to wait and see, if there are no more decently priced Nexus/Pixel phones, Android is likely dead for me. Apple phones get updates for more than 3 years on average. I can tell you my Nexus 5 stopped getting security updates on the dot.

edit: ps: tbh, i really dont see a lot difference between my Nexus 5 and Nexus 5X. For my regular use case of email/chat/a little video sometimes, it was 100% just fine. I wasnt like wow, the 5X is significantly better in anything. i really feel burned by the artificial 3 year lifespan of secure Android phones. i turn on the Nexus 5 sometimes and i feel guilty having a fully viable phone gathering dust because they stopped the security updates.

edit2: personally, i feel the Nexus 5X feels a little slower than my Nexus 5 sometimes. Im not sure if it was because the Nexus 5 was such a popular phone that developers really optimized/tested for it, or the 5X just has some throttling/design issues. Its not major, but i really dont feel like the 5X was any kind of improvement over my Nexus 5 that i got at its launch. Got the 5X when 5 stopped getting updates, using same Fi sale. So it even had several post launch patches to smooth out any issues i might "unfairly" compare against the 3 year old Nexus 5.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:18 pm

I'm on a T-Mobile family plan with family and I'm the account owner. Swapping plans would affect a lot of others. I'm happy with the price and features, too.

EzioAs
Silver subscriber
Gerbil

Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:01 pm

Apparently the Creators Update for W10M will begin roll out on April 25th. http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-1 ... t-april-25

Just thought you might want to know. I think Windows Central will highlight the changes of the new OS build not too far from now.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:52 pm

The new-to-me phone is in. So far so good. The only complaints I have are:
The phone is shower to recharge than my X. That probably has more to do with the large battery, though. Ok the positive side, it's not raining nearly as fast in web browsing.
Updates took a while. Like a desktop would. There were about 50 apps and a system update. The good news is I could and did uninstall the att apps.
I actually like skype more than hangouts. But i can't share to Skype for links and photos like i can on Android. Big bummer.
No auto caps for i. I see now just how lazy i have become.

That's it for the first few hours. Overall it feels much quicker and i am satisfied.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:55 pm

The new-to-me phone is in. So far so good. The only complaints I have are:
The phone is shower to recharge than my X. That probably has more to do with the large battery, though. Ok the positive side, it's not raining nearly as fast in web browsing.
Updates took a while. Like a desktop would. There were about 50 apps and a system update. The good news is I could and did uninstall the att apps.
I actually like skype more than hangouts. But i can't share to Skype for links and photos like i can on Android. Big bummer.
No auto caps for i. I see now just how lazy i have become.

That's it for the first few hours. Overall it feels much quicker and i am satisfied. I love the iris scanner. The time display is handy, just like my X. More to follow. I hope to swap my sim tonight and dude in for a full day tomorrow.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:12 pm

So I was able to get my H7 HRM working with Runtastic Pro. That is really exciting.

So, what do my fellow dozen of Windows Phone peeps do for music? Amazon Prime music is not available. The web interface is a bust. Google music was handy because my 40 GB of music doesn't count against my cloud storage. But to upload my music and use a cloud service I really only have Groove, but I don't pay for any extra cloud OneDrive storage. I did order a 64GB SD card but it's going to be a hassle updating it manually.

EzioAs
Silver subscriber
Gerbil

Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:05 pm

There's Groove Pass subscription. Never used it myself though since I prefer ripping and transfer by PC.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:18 pm

I'm trying to avoid subscriptions for the same reason. I actually started buying a CD a month to discourage my desire to subscribe to Spotify. But when I buy the disk from Amazon I usually can stream it. Then there was the Google Music that I no longer have the ability to use. I guess I'm rolling old school with it and the SD card.

EzioAs
Silver subscriber
Gerbil

Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:06 am

I just realized that you can purchase music (albums/songs) through Windows Store. https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/store/music

It's not available to me (my region specifically) but maybe you could also look into that for your future purchase.

Olson23
Gerbil In Training

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:05 pm

Maybe you can check out these music players:

Flac player SD
Musitastic music player
Perfect Music – Next Gen Music Player
NiQi Music Player

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:09 pm

Grove works well enough. It's nite a streaming issue. Windows phone lacks Google and Amazon music, which really only leaves me with using my sd card and manually updating it.
Last edited by DragonDaddyBear on Mon May 22, 2017 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon May 22, 2017 7:15 am

Wow, it's been a month since my last update? I know you are all just dying to know how It's going.

I finally got a chance to try the Continum dock I bought. It's actually pretty nice. There are not many apps that support Continum but more than I expected. Sadly Spotify is not among them. (Side note: I'm getting a lot of Spanish ads on Spotify now). LastPass is also missing. This makes passwords annoying. Also not on there is Netflix (which did not surprise me). HDHomerun is, though. But since I'm using the dock at work for t's not very useful to me at the moment. I see a neat BYOD potential for this phone for Citrix and VMWare.

One neat trick is he fantastic Behinger DAC UCA202 works with the doc. Though Spoitify doesn't work I have entire music collection on the the SD card, with newer stuff in FLAC working out great. At least I can hook up my headphones to the DAC and listen to some good-quality tunes while doing my thing at work.

While there isn't a Youtube app the web interface is very responsive. It feels better than it used to on some older android phones, even.

cheesyking

Mon May 22, 2017 7:24 am

Losergamer04 wrote:
Grove works will enough. It's nite a streaming issue. Windows phone lacks Google and Amazon music, which really only leaves me with using my sd card and manually updating it.

Getting more used to the MS keyboard yet?
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon May 22, 2017 7:39 am

cheesyking wrote:
Losergamer04 wrote:
Grove works will enough. It's nite a streaming issue. Windows phone lacks Google and Amazon music, which really only leaves me with using my sd card and manually updating it.

Getting more used to the MS keyboard yet?

Ha! Fixed. And no. I've always been very poor at this swipe text thing but I find I'm having more difficulty adapting to the nuances of this one more than Android.

One neat trick that this has that I miss on much older phones is the d-pad. You can swipe this blue dot to move your cursor up, down, left, or right. I find it is very helpful in fixing my many flubs when texting. It's a small thing but it really helps. I think some older android phones had that feature for the physical home buttons before it got replaced with a finger print reader. Now they are all nearly tablet sized so you actually touch where you are aiming.