Personal computing discussed

Moderators: David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Bluetooth audio skipping issues

Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:05 pm

Has anyone else here experienced skipping issues with Bluetooth audio on Android? Device is an LG G4 running Android Marshmallow. Judging by the number of forum threads around the 'net, this is apparently a pretty common complaint; none of the suggestions I've found online seem to help though. Basically, the audio randomly "hiccups" (short gap lasting what I'd guess is about 1/10 to 1/5 of a second) every few minutes.

Rebooting the phone seems to make it mostly (but not completely) better for a few hours. There's some anecdotal evidence that it may be related to WiFi and/or storage activity (I've observed some pretty severe stuttering during downloading and installation of app updates). There may also be a connection to notifications (it sometimes glitches when a notification comes in even if I have audible notifications disabled).

Problem is definitely Bluetooth-related, as the skipping does not occur with wired headphones, and has been observed with multiple different Bluetooth devices. Having the receiving device very close (inches) from the phone doesn't seem to help, so it isn't a range issue.
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Re: Bluetooth audio skipping issues

Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:29 pm

I have a G4, and a pair of cheap Bluetooth headphones (these), and I don't have this problem.

I have noticed that, if I'm listening to media and a system notification plays (e-mail, text or whatnot), the media stream to the headphones sometimes stops working - audio will play through the phone's speaker until I go into the Bluetooth setting and re-enable the "Media audio" profile for the headphones. After that, seems to work fine.

Duct Tape Dude
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:27 pm

Does it occur in all environments? Maybe something is slamming the 2.4GHz band every few minutes. Could be anything from wifi to microwaves to wireless mice to USB 3.0 data transfers.

I notice my BT headsets tend to skip near the entrance of a crowded train station (probably from everyone's phones in addition to the NYPD surveillance vans).

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:01 pm

Well, the fact that a reboot seems to help would argue against it being interference. However, it is sporadic enough that I suppose I could be fooling myself into believing that the reboot is actually doing something.
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.

slowriot
Gerbil XP

Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:42 pm

I experience a similar very brief interrupts in playback when using my Nexus 6P and car stereo via bluetooth, I'd say once every 10-15 minutes on average. I no longer have my Sennheiser BT headphones but I don't recall experiencing it with those. 6P + car's USB port = perfect playback, no issues.

Gems09
Gerbil In Training

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:08 am

this happens to me only when i walk too far away from my phone. maybe that's it? you could try leaving the screen on. just make sure that the brightness is at low to maintain battery power. hopefully this helps.