Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

michaelthepro
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Need help in buying a tablet for my dad!

Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:04 am

I'm looking for a good tablet for my dad, usually for web browsing and watching youtube. I referred this tablet list and they suggested me to go for lg gpad2. Should I buy it? Please help! I need good value for my money.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Need help in buying a tablet for my dad!

Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:07 am

What's your budget?
Does he already have a tablet or a smartphone? If so, is it an Android device, Apple device, Windows device?
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

michaelthepro
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:21 am

My budget is $200-$250 and currently my father uses Galaxy A3 smartphone.

Kurotetsu
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:47 am

I realize this is out of your budget, but I'd get him the new 2017 iPad for $329. Its been getting rave reviews and the price is actually quite good. iOS has a larger library of tablet optimized apps compared to Android and it has the whole 'it just works' factor going for it.

Your other option, if you're sticking to android, is the Nvidia Shield Tablet K1 for $199. Its the defacto successor to the 2013 Nexus 7. CPU is plenty fast, it has a microSD card slot and front facing stereo speakers. Nvidia has, so far, offered very good software support for it. The only thing is that its mainly marketed and designed for gamers, but you can just ignore all the gaming features and use it as a normal tablet. Word of warning, this tablet does NOT ship with a USB charger. You'll have to buy that separately or use the one that came with his Galaxy A3.
Under Construction Forever~~~

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:50 am

michaelthepro wrote:
My budget is $200-$250 and currently my father uses Galaxy A3 smartphone.

Do you know if your dad ]likes/dislikes/has no opinion] on the Samsung interface modifications to Android? If he prefers the Samsung look-and-feel (or has no opinion), there are several Galaxy Tab models out there which fall within your budget range and would give a similar experience. If he specifically doesn't like them, then look elsewhere.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:54 am

I never recommend Android tablets because the security/update situation for those is actually worse than phones! But if you absolutely must do Android, the only one to get is the Nvidia Shield K1. It's what I would spend my own money on.

Best solution is, and probably always will be, an ipad. The new 9.7" ipad5 for $329 is truly a steal.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:54 am

Kurotetsu wrote:
I realize this is out of your budget, but I'd get him the new 2017 iPad for $329. Its been getting rave reviews and the price is actually quite good. iOS has a larger library of tablet optimized apps compared to Android and it has the whole 'it just works' factor going for it.

Your other option, if you're sticking to android, is the Nvidia Shield Tablet K1 for $199. Its the defacto successor to the 2013 Nexus 7. CPU is plenty fast, it has a microSD card slot and front facing stereo speakers. Nvidia has, so far, offered very good software support for it. The only thing is that its mainly marketed and designed for gamers, but you can just ignore all the gaming features and use it as a normal tablet. Word of warning, this tablet does NOT ship with a USB charger. You'll have to buy that separately or use the one that came with his Galaxy A3.

Great minds think alike! :lol:
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

Gems09
Gerbil In Training

Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:20 pm

Here's a list of some good tablets I could think of:

Amazon Fire HD 10
Asus ZenPad S 8.0
Asus ZenPad Z8
Acer Iconia One 10

I believe they're all under $250 (elderly friendly too). Lucky dad!

mort05
Gerbil In Training

Wed May 17, 2017 4:26 am

What's your budget?

MichaelJD
Gerbil

Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:04 am

I have wasted money on tablets a couple of time, and every device I bought never lasted six months. I guess I was just being to naive to think that the higher the price the better a tablet is. For me, personally, I would not really say that it depends on budget, but on what you consider to make the best tablet to buy. My assumption is completely subjective, though.

If you are on a tight budget, consider buying a tablet that cost under 100 dollars. Some cost between $150 and $300, which isn't badly off. But before you pull your credit card, it is important to consider a few things. My four most important are:

1. Processor speed: I have had a tablet that couldn't just perform. I guess its RAM was too low to perform well. I bought that for something around $120. It was pretty much wasted money.

2. Storage capacity: Something around 32 GB internal storage is great, but if it is above and beyond this, then better. I also recommend tablets have expandable memory cards.

3. Battery life: I hate charging things more than once a day. You know what that means for a heavy user.

4. Operating System: I prefer Android to iOS. I have always hated Windows OS because it has a poor user experience. But you choose what is best for you, right?

So, it is not just about how much a tablet costs. The most important thing is shopping around for the best tablet deal; you know those gadgets that give you the biggest bangs for your bucks.