Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Nokia to go Full Nexus?

Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:50 pm

So they say, including a Google partnership to ensure a stock Android experience and fast updates. We'll see...

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/mobile-ph ... xus-phones
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Re: Nokia to go Full Nexus?

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:42 pm

Excited for the Nokia 8.

Even during the Windows Phone days Nokia has always made impeccable hardware, so them going for Android and keeping the OS stock could be very disruptive to the established phone market.

Robotics
Gerbil First Class

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:55 pm

I want to get 6 . Nice start for NOKIA brand. And these features are more preferable.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:55 pm

The title of the thread should be "HMD Global to go Full Nexus?"

Nokia has nothing to do with the new "Nokia" phones apart from the licensing of their name.

Edit: It should really be "Foxconn to go Full Nexus?"
Last edited by End User on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

End User

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:58 pm

jihadjoe wrote:
Even during the Windows Phone days Nokia has always made impeccable hardware, so them going for Android and keeping the OS stock could be very disruptive to the established phone market.

Nokia≠Nokia

The new Nokia phone will be made by Foxconn.

nico1982
Gerbil

Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:40 am

End User wrote:
The title of the thread should be "HMD Global to go Full Nexus?"

Nokia has nothing to do with the new "Nokia" phones apart from the licensing of their name.

The Nokia you think has nothing to do with the new "Nokia" is not the old Nokia anyway. HMD is more Nokia than the current Nokia has ever been post MS acquisition, IMHO :P

That said, if the Nokia 6 is any indication - 230 € and built like a tank - I wouldn't worry about build quality, whether they are fabricated by a Foxconn subsidiary or not.

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:06 am

I just hope they have Nexus 5X style pricing and performance. At the moment there's way too big a gap between the crap Cortex A53 phones and everything else. Just give me 2 A73 cores and 2 A35/A53 cores, enough GPU to drive the UI smoothly (couldn't care less about mobile gaming), and 3-4GB of RAM. I don't need a VR capable overheating flagship, I just want enough CPU grunt to blow through the crap Javascript coding that infests modern websites. This is something Apple have gotten massively right lately. The new iPad with a dual core A9 chip is a nice example. It's not cutting edge, but it will still kick the ass of any A53 based garbage.

End User

Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:03 am

nico1982 wrote:
HMD is more Nokia than the current Nokia has ever been post MS acquisition

Slapping a licensed name on a generic Android phone in a sea of generic Android phones is not going to bring back Nokia's glory days. The old Nokia did not survive even with its global sales infrastructure. HMD will struggle.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:11 am

Considering that Foxconn is also Apple's contractor, we know they can make good phones when given a good design. Whether HMD gives them a good design is to be determined, but the other half of Android's problem is software support, which a Google partnership could solve. So I'm hopeful, but again...we'll see.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:15 am

End User wrote:
nico1982 wrote:
HMD is more Nokia than the current Nokia has ever been post MS acquisition

Slapping a licensed name on a generic Android phone in a sea of generic Android phones is not going to bring back Nokia's glory days. The old Nokia did not survive even with its global sales infrastructure. HMD will struggle.

He was referring to the people behind HMD itself. They are made up of a lot of former Nokia people, the experienced ones too. Just look at the teardown of the Nokia 6. Even Samsung does not use nineteen (!) screws in their phones just for structural integrity. The "spirit" of the old Nokia, at least in the aspect of build quality, appears to be there. We still have to find out, over the longer term, how their corporate culture reacts to the market. That we will see if the "DNA" is still alive.

Writing them off as "will struggle" may be a bit premature. Judging by the reaction of the 6 in China, there still seems to be a non-trivial amount of pent-up expectation. The flagship tier may be different and they may struggle just yet, but we will have to see what they come up with.

Back on topic: OP, if by "Nexus" you mean just a stock Android OS as close to Google's own offerings (not AOSP), then you may have a point. However, the Nexus program means a few more things, like easy development access (bootloader unlock, root-ability, etc.). In that regard, HMD is not going "Nexus", they are just like any other OEM. If they are going to offer BL unlock like Moto/Sony (even HTC?), then we can re-evaluate the "Nexus" label.

To some people, "Nexus" also means ridiculously low price (<=half of flagship prices) for closer to flagship grade hardware. Based on current pricing, these Nokia branded devices are not that.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

End User

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:34 am

Flying Fox wrote:
Just look at the teardown of the Nokia 6. Even Samsung does not use nineteen (!) screws in their phones just for structural integrity. The "spirit" of the old Nokia, at least in the aspect of build quality, appears to be there.

Ah, well done. Already towing the fanboy line -> http://nokiamob.net/2017/03/28/nokia-6- ... lled-tank/

The Snapdragon 430 is a stunningly poor performing mobile CPU. It is another example of HMD following the theme of a cheap generic build. A poor showing all the way around. But hey, it has 19 screws!!!

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:42 am

End User wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:
Just look at the teardown of the Nokia 6. Even Samsung does not use nineteen (!) screws in their phones just for structural integrity. The "spirit" of the old Nokia, at least in the aspect of build quality, appears to be there.

Ah, well done. Already towing the fanboy line -> http://nokiamob.net/2017/03/28/nokia-6- ... lled-tank/

The Snapdragon 430 is a stunningly poor performing mobile CPU. It is another example of HMD following the theme of a cheap generic build. A poor showing all the way around. But hey, it has 19 screws!!!

The 6 is never a flagship device. Not sure why you are harping on that point. Actually, Nokia never had top end hardware, so in a sense they are really the same, at least for now. And structural integrity analysis with a teardown and actual test seem as objective as you can get, short of using a full set of bend+drop test machinery.

Another anecdote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYasmMSY3wA

And btw, I am referring to "being Nokia" in terms of builds that are tough. Stop changing the subject about poor performing CPU. Even during its heyday, the old Nokia always got criticized for not using top end CPUs (the decision was partly due to power, and partly due to Symbian so hard to update for new hardware).

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:48 am

Nokia did, in fact, have top-end hardware, even for mid-range phones.

The "hardware" that I'm talking about is of course the camera.

You can get by with less RAM.
You can get by with no SD slot
You can get by with missing features (who even uses NFC anyway?)

But a crummy camera is forever - you're not going to be re-taking those pictures, and the camera you use is the one you have with you.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:55 am

Vhalidictes wrote:
Nokia did, in fact, have top-end hardware, even for mid-range phones.

The "hardware" that I'm talking about is of course the camera.

You can get by with less RAM.
You can get by with no SD slot
You can get by with missing features (who even uses NFC anyway?)

But a crummy camera is forever - you're not going to be re-taking those pictures, and the camera you use is the one you have with you.

Remains to be seen if the good camera is coming back. There are rumours about Zeiss branding coming back with the flagship 8/9 later this year, but the old PureView supersampling tech is now owned by Microsoft. They will need to come up with new stuff to compete with the other Android makers in terms of image quality. Dual lens camera seems to be a popular thing, so we will see.

For RAM, at certain level I disagree. Chrome and Google (Now) apps alone can hog the memory quite a bit. On my current 2GB phone, the OS is quite aggressive in killing background apps. So it depends on needs. The fact that they are planning to push Google Assistant on even the low end devices, they need enough RAM for sure. Android's memory use is a lot more than good old Symbian.

For the microSD card slot, this is something most Android fans would want HMD to not turn into a Nexus. Apps/games these days store way too much stuff on internal memory. If you take lots of pictures and videos, plus you carry a large-ish music library, it is definitely better to have expandable memory. Unless of course manufacturers stop charging an arm and a leg just for more flash storage. I don't see that happening anytime soon as this is their easy way out to get higher margins.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:01 am

Vhalidictes wrote:

Indeed. Once I got a phone with a decent camera (LG G4) I stopped carrying my Canon PowerShot point-and-shoot on trips. The still pictures the G4 takes are of comparable quality, and it does a better job on video. I find this quite amazing, given the tiny lens. Just a few years' evolution in the sophistication of the electronics/processing makes a huge difference.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

End User

Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:56 am

Flying Fox wrote:
And btw, I am referring to "being Nokia" in terms of builds that are tough.

Nokia tough? Pockycock! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EWuz4YEk9k

End User

Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:01 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Stop changing the subject about poor performing CPU.

Fine then.

The only thing that will make the Nokia 6 stand out from the crowd is if it ships in North America with stock Android. The. Only. Thing.