Personal computing discussed

Moderators: David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

synthtel2
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Re: Laptops with graphics power on a budget?

Tue May 02, 2017 11:37 pm

A9-9410 is weaker in graphics than recent GT2s. Thanks for the thought, though - I hadn't noticed that Excavator made it into the ultra-mobile line.

The spare parts build, if it were to happen, would be my current G3258 / 8GB DDR3-2133 / ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac and my brother's old HD 7770 backed by quality stuff like an EVGA G2 550W. For ~$120 excluding the monitor, I think we'd be very hard-pressed to find anything better in the desktop space. To put it another way, if that hypothetical build isn't a convincing enough argument that desktops are better, nothing will be.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:00 pm

Dell has been selling an Insiprion 7000 Gaming line for a while, but now there's an Inspiron 5000 Gaming line, too. It looks halfway-decent (a little red for my tastes, though) and has decent specs for not too awful much.

If you REALLY need to keep costs low, they have a Chorizo-based AMD system with an RX 460 for $600. No SSD, but the price is nice. The Intel counterparts have GTX 1050 and run a bit more, but they're configurable with M.2 SATA SSDs so I'm guessing you can add one later on, too. They've also got a quad-core Core i5 in the base model, which seems really nice for $750.

Definitely way more than a cheap desktop, either way.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

synthtel2
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:02 pm

To update, we got him a Westmere Pentium laptop for free, and not having a busted up screen / hinges seems to be enough to defer the question for a while. It is also a non-trivial upgrade over the C2D, however weak it is by our standards. It sounds like it's mostly good enough for Fallout NV at least.

I'm not angry, but I've been wondering how after I said this stuff I'm still getting >$500 recommendations from many directions:

synthtel2 wrote:
is on a very tight budget, as in every twenty counts.
synthtel2 wrote:
Sorry, I guess I thought it was obvious that $500 was already too much, and it probably wasn't. Worst case as a cap on cost would probably be the cheapest thing in some OEM's current lineup that still uses Intel's big cores and GT2, which should be $400 or less IIRC (probably less if it's a refurb or something, which it can be).
synthtel2 wrote:
To update, it looks like i3-6100U machines are common enough at $250-300 on eBay, so let's say that's what we're trying to beat. Lower cost than that and/or more graphics power than that are the name of the game.

Worldwide median per-capita income is $3000/year. Even in the US, many struggle to put food on the table.1 We are incredibly lucky to be able to call "budget" something purely for entertainment purposes that costs $500-1000. That Westmere Pentium? It can game passably enough to be good entertainment. Forget anything 3D designed with the 8th gen consoles in mind, and forget most of the 7th gen blockbuster titles, but even if you restrict the field to just pre-2005 games and 2D/2.5D indie stuff, there are a bajillion great games out there that can provide endless hours of entertainment. That's what I call budget gaming.

1 I'll be happy to create a thread for this in R&P if need be (I debated doing so to start with, and cut some stuff out to make my thoughts fit here).

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:36 pm

synthtel2 wrote:
I'm not angry

Could have fooled me with that harangue about global median income and food scarcity. Usually if you're getting multiple responses that go a different direction than you'd hoped (especially after a thread necro), then something in the original topic or title is probably grabbing attention in a way other than what you intended. IMO "budget" and "graphics power" means options in roughly twice the price range you settled upon, as any iGPU made in the past 10-ish years can typically run games that predate it by 4-5 years at reasonably good visual settings, provided you don't shoot for the moon on resolution.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

synthtel2
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:25 pm

Yeah, at the title I see where people are coming from, I just thought I clarified more than that (multiple times), if nothing else by using ~400 GFLOPS parts to anchor things on the power side. I wasn't sure how to word things more appropriately than abusing that anchor; to most people here, 400 GFLOPS = totally sucks at graphics, and most of the words I could use that don't reference specific parts can't distinguish very well between 100 GFLOPS-class and 400 GFLOPS-class. If I reference caring about graphics at all, most people are going to jump right to thinking 800 GFLOPS at the absolute minimum (and I have to expect people to read a bit more to figure out what I actually mean).

I've been angry at nameable people, let's see, four times in the past seven years? Two are people who seriously and maliciously hurt my friends, one is a political figure, and one is the head of a company that's acting like the mafia (and hurting my friends). All that's here is mild annoyance. To be fair, it is annoyance at large portions of society in general, definitely not just anyone on TR.