Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Portable chargers

Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:57 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Cool, I need to look into that. I do have a pass-through USB dongle that tells you voltage, current, and total power transferred thru the port, but that app sounds like it gives more detail since it knows where all the power is going inside the phone.

Does it require a rooted phone?

No root necessary. I haven't rooted my 6P because that would break auto Google Android updates (the phone is on VZW, but doesn't march to VZW) and I'm too lazy to download apks and sideload them. Rumour has it that the 6P will get Android O when it's released as the last major guaranteed upgrade for the phone. Currently on Nougat 7.1.2

At least on my 6P, it also reports battery technology (Li-ion for me), phone model, and Android update version/Build ID.

Also, I've yet to see Ampere report a voltage over 4.5V. Most of the time it slides in a range between 4.3V and 4.4V.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:13 pm

Stuff I've read indicates that the vast majority of phone batteries are 3.7V or 4.2V nominal. So you've likely got the 4.2 variety and it is just reading a little high for whatever reason.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:14 pm

JBI wrote:
With the various quick charging standards the voltage at the port can go significantly above 5V too. And not all phone batteries are 3.7V. So really it only makes sense to quote watt-hours, not mAh. Of course since it makes sense, we don't do that..

Mine is actually labeled: "Capacity:3.7V/ 22400mAh/82.8Wh"

Which is sort of bizarrely redundant, but these things are indeed always listed at mAh, so what else can they do?

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:17 pm

The batteries that go in the phone seem to be better labeled than the external charging packs.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:18 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Stuff I've read indicates that the vast majority of phone batteries are 3.7V or 4.2V nominal. So you've likely got the 4.2 variety and it is just reading a little high for whatever reason.

I look at it as the equivalent of a 12V car battery usually seeing/reading 14.4V. Also, Ampere confirms that the phone's charging system is smart enough not to take power from the USB cord once the battery hits 100%.

EDIT: Max source current I've ever seen on Ampere is 2100 milliamps. Google phones don't do either of the quick-charge standards, so the best you can do is a native USB-C 3.0 charger, thus the 2100 milliamps.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:39 pm

Yup I've checked the current draw with my USB dongle power meter. Even when using a wireless charging pad/stand USB current drops to near zero when the battery hits 100%.

I figured that was the case even before I checked since it seems to cool down to room temp.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:49 pm

just brew it! wrote:
So the mAh rating on these things... assuming the vendor is being reasonably honest, is that measured at 5V? Or is it at nominal cell phone battery voltage (3.7V-4.2V)?

Most seem to be calculated at the 3.7 V

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:52 pm

Or... You could make the smart move and buy one of the plethora of cheap 2A chargers that take the ubiquitous 18650 batteries. Then buy the batteries separate.

I have one of these. It comes in a 2x or 3x 18650 config for up to 6-9000 mah.

Buy good quality 3000 mah cells such as these and, unless you need something fancy like a USB-C port, then you won't do any better for your money in the long run.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:52 pm

Keep in mind that when going on planes you have to calc the watt hours for max you are allowed in batteries

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:00 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Cool, I need to look into that. I do have a pass-through USB dongle that tells you voltage, current, and total power transferred thru the port, but that app sounds like it gives more detail since it knows where all the power is going inside the phone.

Does it require a rooted phone?

No root necessary. I haven't rooted my 6P because that would break auto Google Android updates (the phone is on VZW, but doesn't march to VZW) and I'm too lazy to download apks and sideload them. Rumour has it that the 6P will get Android O when it's released as the last major guaranteed upgrade for the phone. Currently on Nougat 7.1.2

At least on my 6P, it also reports battery technology (Li-ion for me), phone model, and Android update version/Build ID.

Also, I've yet to see Ampere report a voltage over 4.5V. Most of the time it slides in a range between 4.3V and 4.4V.

My biggest issue with Ampere (I have not uninstalled it yet, so at least part of me thinks it is useful in some circumstances) is that on my free version, I cannot tell it to keep the app on, even if I set the screen timeout to like 30mins. The app will go dark (exit?) after a while anyway, affecting the results when I turn it back on. Does the paid version have logging to a file? That should be much more accurate.

That said, I am of the opinion that we should use yet another device to measure the current draw to keep up our geek creds :P . So I am looking at little gadgets like this. Granted, who knows how accurate these cheaply made Chinese gadgets are, but it should be at least on par with software? I am kind of waiting for QC4.0 support, so I am in continuous window shopping mode. I do have the older DROK-like device from a while back, but all the fast charging tech of the last few years are making it obsolete.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:10 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
My biggest issue with Ampere (I have not uninstalled it yet, so at least part of me thinks it is useful in some circumstances) is that on my free version, I cannot tell it to keep the app on, even if I set the screen timeout to like 30mins. The app will go dark (exit?) after a while anyway, affecting the results when I turn it back on. Does the paid version have logging to a file? That should be much more accurate.

Hmm, looks like Ampere Pro no longer exists (at least in the Play Store). Sorry 'bout that. That said, I never did have logging. I could leave it running in focus and it would be there when I woke up the phone, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:22 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

Hmm, looks like Ampere Pro no longer exists (at least in the Play Store). Sorry 'bout that. That said, I never did have logging. I could leave it running in focus and it would be there when I woke up the phone, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

When I woke up the phone from screen off it recalculates again, rendering my measurement attempt of the past few minutes irrelevant. :-?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

strangerguy
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:18 am

just brew it! wrote:

AFAIK:
3.7V nominal = 4.2V at 100% charge
3.85V nominal = 4.35V at 100% charge

Most of recent phone batteries are already on the higher voltage chemistry at the hidden expense of lower operating cycles.
8700K 4.3GHz @ 1.05V | Cryorig H7 | MSI Z370M AC | 32GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3200 | GTX 1070 @ 0.8V | 500GB Evo 850 | 1TB M550 | 3TB Toshiba | Seasonic G650 | Acer XB271HU