Personal computing discussed

Moderators: David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

cphite
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Verizon Cloud keeps backing stuff up...

Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:19 pm

I've already asked this on Verizon but I figured I'd try here and hopefully get something, you know... helpful :D

I have a Droid 2 Turbo - it's running the factory OS (Android 7.0) no rooting or anything like that, and it's got the typical stuff that Verizon throws on; specifically Verizon Cloud which does pretty much what you'd expect, it backs stuff up to the cloud.

My problem is that for some reason it keeps backing up my music and photo files. The photos aren't a huge issue - the music is, because I only have 5GB on my cloud account and way more than that in music, and so every few weeks I'm getting pinged by Verizon Cloud to either delete stuff or increase my storage... and they want money for that.

The settings are set to only back up contacts, messages, and phone calls - which is all I really want. Nothing else is checked. And yet, the damn thing keeps backing them up anyway. I'm probably going to just disable the frikkin' thing...

Anywho, was just wondering if anyone else with Verizon has seen this. I haven't seen the same issue on their forums so it may be just me... :x

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Re: Verizon Cloud keeps backing stuff up...

Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:23 pm

If you don't want to use Verizon cloud at all, you can disable the app through the Applications area in settings. Most Verizon apps can be disabled without issue, and it's a must-do for any Verizon Android phone.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Re: Verizon Cloud keeps backing stuff up...

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:53 am

I had a Verizon-borged Samsung S4 previously. The only useful feature I found in the entire preload suite was that the icon to start the Verizon application was dual-purposed to display data usage as a widget. Even better (worse), Samsung also had cloud services preloaded, so between Samsung, Verizon, Google, and the security features of my corporate Exchange account, I had a four-player game of Hungry Hungry Hippos competing for my phone's sweet, sweet data. I ended up disabling most of the Verizon and Samsung features as described by derFunk.

On my 5X, I keep my contacts synched via Google (personal) or Exchange (business), and a Google account will also remember things like WiFi APs and other miscellaneous phone settings. Google Assistant has also taken upon itself to organize random photo collage suggestions and back up my entire photo library until the heat death of the universe, but since I don't keep anything compromising in there, I'm not too worried about it.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration