Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Best laptop display replacement source

Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:43 pm

Where do I get the best-quality laptop display replacements? I got a deal too good to pass up - an Inspiron 5000 Gaming for under $600 for a friend looking for a casual gaming machine. Core i5 7300HQ, 8GB of RAM, 256GB SSD, GTX 1050.

We bought it knowing that it had a TN panel with a 30-pin eDP interface. It should be almost universally upgradeable to an IPS display with the same connector. The only downside to the system, in fact, especially considering the price.

Even better, the service manual for the Inspiron 5577 (which is the model number for this machine) shows that there's no glue - it's just the bezel held on by plastic tabs. So if we're careful, removing it should mean it just snaps right back into place.

So where can I get a high-quality IPS display for this thing? I've seen lots of resellers on the internet like laptopscreen.com, screencountry.com, and even 3rd party resellers on Amazon. We want to get something with a perfect no-dead-pixel policy with limited or no backlight bleed. Considering he got the laptop for almost $300 off, he's willing to pay upwards of $100-120 for a suitable display (which seems almost impossible; I'm only finding stuff at worst in the $70 range) if the display is great.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen