Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

G4 and Android 7

Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:59 am

Anyone else with an LG G4 upgrade to 7.0 yet? I see there's an Android update available for my phone now, and I'm assuming that this means Sprint has finally gotten around to pushing Nougat to G4 owners. Before I pull the trigger, I was just wondering if anyone has any comments or caveats.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Re: G4 and Android 7

Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:30 am

I have a G4 Plus on 7.0 with no problems.

credible
Gerbil XP

Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:55 am

Too weird JBI, I have been researching that the last hour and just dl'ed and about to install bridge and see if I can get it as well.

Will let you know.

credible
Gerbil XP

Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:20 am

Not available in Canada yet it would seem.

If we get it its safe to say I'll keep this phone as long as I can.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:56 pm

Haven't seen any sign of it for mine. I have the T-Mobile model (LG-H811), and LG's own support page for it says that the latest version is 6.0.

credible
Gerbil XP

Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:00 pm

Looks like I just may very well invest in an LG V20.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:05 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Haven't seen any sign of it for mine. I have the T-Mobile model (LG-H811), and LG's own support page for it says that the latest version is 6.0.

Well, I don't know for certain it is the 7.0 update. It just said "a newer version of Android is available" the last time I logged into the "My Sprint" app; gee, maybe they could provide a little more detail? I suppose it could just be the 6.0.1 point release; they dragged their feet on that one too, and at this point they might as well just go straight to 7.0. :roll:

Edit: Oh, this is cute. So I logged in to My Sprint again, and tapped "Update" instead of "Cancel" when it gave me the notification, figuring it might tell me what it was going to install (and give me another chance to back out before actually changing anything). After tapping "Update", it just gives me a screen that says "Your system is up to date" without doing anything.

Double-duh.

So the notification was apparently a decoy. :evil:

Edit 2: Maybe this is an indication that they will be rolling it out soon, and the My Sprint app just got a little ahead of the game? I can dream...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:31 pm

credible wrote:
Looks like I just may very well invest in an LG V20.

I just switched over last weekend to a new carrier and traded in my Galaxy s6 for the V20. All I can say is I will never go back to samsung, this phone has every feature I never new I needed but now refuse to live without. HD Audio DAC, dual band bluetooth, secondary notification screen.Also the thumbprint unlock is WAY more responsive than my galaxy. The one downside to the phone is lack of wireless charging, but the new carrier did give me $100 of in-store credit which i spent on usb-c cables.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

credible
Gerbil XP

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:09 pm

I have been one of the few it seems who really likes the G4, was worried what was said about the G5 and figured may as well skip the G6 as well and move on to the V20 but learned the V30 is coming out in September so may as well wait for the V30.

So far as the wireless charging goes count me out, after some thought its just one more thing that can break or cause other issues and the removable battery makes needing wireless charging a moot point for me anyways.