Personal computing discussed

Moderators: David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

meerkt
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Good inexpensive 10" tablets?

Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:43 am

Any suggestions for a decent 10" tablet?
I want it for web, email, games (adventure games and the likes). A must: SD card. Nice to have: removable battery.

Not looking to spend much, but I'd go beyond entry-level if there's a good reason.
I suppose Chinese makers offer better specs/price, but I'd rather go non-Chinese.

Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Good inexpensive 10" tablets?

Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:52 am

That's going to be tough without going with a low-end OEM. The real trouble you're going to have with Gaming is that even some of the nicer cheap tablets skimp on RAM.

Maybe you could try the ASUS MeMO Pad FHD 10? That's got an SD card and is reasonably inexpensive.

meerkt
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:47 am

Thanks.
Seems like there's not much competition in 10" Android mid-end tablets.
I guess I should research Chinese brands after all.

CScottG
Gerbil Elite

Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:29 pm

Teclast T10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ImjMdQtaHc

Note that the processor is still relatively old. My guess is that within a year the processor will be upgraded to a newer model.

-and yeah, I'd really wish that tablets had easily removable/replaceable batteries (..even though it would result in a thicker tablet). :oops:

meerkt
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:34 pm

Interesting. But I'm leaning more toward the better known Chinese brands.

One thing I dislike in that T10 is the overly high resolution: 2560x1600.
Is there any point, or am I correct in assuming it will just decrease performance and battery time?

Another poor choice in some tablets is 2048x resolutions. I don't see any real gain from 1920x, and the result is having to resample videos.

CScottG
Gerbil Elite

Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:20 pm

I think Teclast is the leader in Chinese brands. Chuwi as a close second. Cube 3rd. (..I've got a Teclast and a Cube. My sub $100 Teclast was purchased for extended display-space for my Cube, which has a Wacom digitizer for sketching.)

I don't know about power-use for this tablet. Usually however, the newer the components - the more power efficient. The display is pretty new, the processor: not so much. You'd think the IGP would work harder with the higher res.. but I'd bet that it depends more on application and the actual output for that app. My guess is that the display's back-lighting is a close second to that.

meerkt
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:18 pm

I don't see much gain in going beyond 1920 on a 10" screen. Good for marketing bullet points, perhaps.

The ones I consider leading Chinese brands, at least from a western perspective, are Huawei, Xiaomi, ZTE, etc.
Lenovo I consider non-Chinese. :)

What, do you use a tablet with a second tablet as an extra monitor? How?

morphine
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:33 pm

Latest Amazon Fire HD looks like it fits your bill. 1920x1080 IPS, quad-core, 2GB RAM, 32 GB storage, $150.

Disclaimer: I'm assuming you can just install/enable the Play Store and go on your way. I believe that has always been the case with the Fire tablets, but I can be corrected.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

meerkt
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:19 pm

I saw it, but I'm not sure non-standard Android is a good idea.
Also, maybe 2GB RAM isn't enough, especially long-term.

Cuhulin
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:05 pm

Galaxy Tab A 10" - there are two models, with or without the S Pen.

I bought one for a staffer, and he really likes it.
Ryzen 5, MSI B350M, 8GB, Radeon 580 and building....

CScottG
Gerbil Elite

Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:11 pm

meerkt wrote:
I don't see much gain in going beyond 1920 on a 10" screen. Good for marketing bullet points, perhaps.

The ones I consider leading Chinese brands, at least from a western perspective, are Huawei, Xiaomi, ZTE, etc.

The guy from Techtablets is pretty good for gauging things like the apparent "niceness" of the display. He used to think similarly with a 1080P screen (vs higher res.), but on occasion (like this review) mentions that the result is better.

Yeah, I forget Huawei :oops: - they have decent world market share, like 3rd for tablets.

Both are Windows 10 Machines w/ wifi, so I use Miracast with "extend" for the desktop. There are however a few applications for doing this, even between other OS's, iDisplay is one of them. The real value for me is that the Cube's 10" can be full sketch "white" space.

meerkt
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:03 am

I wouldn't get a Windows tablet, but dual Windows/Android could be interesting. Problem is, I'm not sure it's easily possible to zap Windows if you want to give Android the whole space, and I'm not sure SD can fully take the place of native storage in all cases. I also think most of these would be x86, which is perhaps not the best for Android.

Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:24 am

meerkt wrote:

There's a huge benefit to large pixel counts on a mobile device... it kills battery life.

More seriously, I understand that sometimes these devices are held pretty close to the eye compared to a PC monitor, but I don't ever see that "screen-door" effect even on 1280x800 tablets, myself.

tipoo
Gerbil

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:40 am

meerkt wrote:
I saw it, but I'm not sure non-standard Android is a good idea.
Also, maybe 2GB RAM isn't enough, especially long-term.

I'm keeping an eye on this one once it's out to see how easily people can root it and put stock Android on there. The hardware is pretty good for the price (2 A72s, 2GB RAM), better than the infinite A53 + 1GB fare in this price range usually.

With stock android + play store it could be nice.

CScottG
Gerbil Elite

Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:10 pm

meerkt wrote:
I wouldn't get a Windows tablet, but dual Windows/Android could be interesting. Problem is, I'm not sure it's easily possible to zap Windows if you want to give Android the whole space, and I'm not sure SD can fully take the place of native storage in all cases. I also think most of these would be x86, which is perhaps not the best for Android.

Yeah, I don't know about removing Windows from dual-boot. You'd think it wouldn't be difficult, but you never know. Still, it probably doesn't take up a lot its space (on the T10). Problematic if the device only has about 16 GB of space or less, but otherwise it shouldn't be a problem. I don't think the SD can be used for any boot partition.

The T10 uses this processor:

https://www.mediatek.com/products/tablets/mt8176

ozzuneoj
Gerbil Elite

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:43 pm

I'll admit, I don't have any personal experience with these, but this looks like a nice deal if you don't mind refurbished:

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Latitude-Na ... 2core+M%22

You won't touch the speed and capabilities of something like that with any standard Android tablet or most Windows tablets. The are plenty of different models and variations available, but this looked like a decent price. The Core M m5-6y57 is basically a low clocked 4W Skylake i5 mobile (dual core with hyperthreading and turbo boost). This will completely mop the floor with any Atom or other tablet-focused CPUs. I have a feeling that battery life isn't as good as some other options, but it depends what you want to do with it I guess.

It also appears to be one of the few tablets with an easily replaceable battery (they seem to be around $45-$50 on eBay):
https://www.parts-people.com/blog/2016/ ... tallation/

Something to look into at least.
Desktop - i5 2500K@4.5Ghz - MSI P67A-G43 - 16GB DDR3-2133 - PNY GTX 970
HTPC - i7 4790 - Asus B85 - 8GB DDR3-1600 - EVGA GTX 1050 Ti
Selling lots of cool PC stuff on Mercari. Use code VBGQMM for a $10 sign up credit!

KingLear
Gerbil

Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:08 am

I got my Galaxy Tab A on Black Friday (it's coming up) so you may want to wait. I also picked up a 200GB microSD card so I got plenty of storage. I love it. I use it to read books and magazines, watch TV (HdHomeRun) and watch movies. The sound is not good so I bought a $10 Chinese bluetooth receiver that I connected to my stereo to get great sound. It has dual band wireless so I use 5GHz to get the fastest connection. I installed Talkatone (free) so I can use it as a phone. Very hard to hold so buy a case.

Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:46 am

KingLear wrote:
I got my Galaxy Tab A on Black Friday (it's coming up) so you may want to wait. I also picked up a 200GB microSD card so I got plenty of storage. I love it. I use it to read books and magazines, watch TV (HdHomeRun) and watch movies. The sound is not good so I bought a $10 Chinese bluetooth receiver that I connected to my stereo to get great sound. It has dual band wireless so I use 5GHz to get the fastest connection. I installed Talkatone (free) so I can use it as a phone. Very hard to hold so buy a case.

I'm a huge fan of my Tab A, but unfortunately I use it mostly for web-browsing and once I open 20 tabs it starts to get really sluggish, which isn't a problem on my daily driver phone the Galaxy S5.

I don't know if it's more lack of RAM or processing power, but tab-management isn't fun. Otherwise, I agree it's great.