Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Asus is taking over my life

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:49 am

I just noticed this morning t hat Asus is slowly taking over my mobile and home life.

I bought an Asus 8.0 S tablet back in December as an open-box item for a very good deal and haven't had any regrets.

Then...I got rid of that useless FitBit my wife bought me and ended up buying myself an Asus Zenwatch2.

Now I just bought a laptop on the weekend....an Asus X505BA to replace an 11 year-old Gateway laptop. The X505 was the only laptop in the price range that had a Type-C connection and the other specs that I liked. I paid $550 CDN for it.

Now I'm contemplating purchasing the Asus Lyra mesh networking setup to get better coverage throughout the house.

Anyone else experiencing this phenomenon? (not with Asus per say, but with any other manufacturer)
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Re: Asus is taking over my life

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:03 am

Once a manufacturer proves themselves to you in a number of devices it is only natural for them to rise to the top of the list for next purchases.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:38 am

Objectively speaking, I think Apple is king of this.

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:47 am

Arvald wrote:
Once a manufacturer proves themselves to you in a number of devices it is only natural for them to rise to the top of the list for next purchases.

Honestly, I don't even really like Asus stuff.... I much prefer HTC stuff or Sony stuff....but the Asus products are within my price range
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:42 am

Same.

At one point I had an Asus router, an Asus tablet, most of the hardware in my computer was Asus and I was slowly pondering the take-over of my life by Asus.

However, I recently bought a new D-link AC router and a new Dell laptop so Asus influence over my life has diminished greatly in the past few months.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

MichaelJD
Gerbil

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:53 am

Once you like something from a dealer, you never get enough of what they provide.

Happens to all of us

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:13 am

Not Asus but Samsung items that i currently own
1) Smart phone - (2 nos)
2) Air condition - (2 nos)
3) Refrigerator - (1 nos)
4) Sound system - ( 1 nos)
5) LED TV - (2 nos)
6) Keyboard - (1 nos)
7) Washing machine (1 nos)

I just realize, i have unknowingly purchased too many explosive items from Samsung. :lol:

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:44 am

I have too much Samsung stuff.

Samsung TV
Samsung 5.1 system (matches the TV and takes advantage of the TV remote)
Samsung smartphone (lack of other decent options on my contract's hardware list)
Samsung SSDs (despite boycotting them for 3-4 years, nobody else makes SSDs as good right now)
Samsung monitor. (Actually not a Samsung panel, LOL)

It's a combination of good hardware and aggressive pricing.

I would have preferred an LG TV but the samsung was on sale for about 30% less than the LG.
I would have preferred a different 5.1 system but there are really convenient benefits to matching it with the TV.
I would have preferred a Pixel instead of an S7 Edge, but the S7 Edge was the best phone available on my contract.
I would have preferred to continue boycotting Samsung for their treatment of SSD customers with the 840 line, but nobody else matches their price/performance.
I would have preferred to buy an LG ultrawide Freesync monitor but the reviews of it were awful, so I got the Samsung which reviewed well.

Asus, Samsung, Apple - they are companies that are too big and greedy for their own good, and not without some seriously-dubious ethics that have frequented the news - However, their success is in part down to their intelligent sales/business/product strategy. It is not undeserved, or particularly surprising that we find these brands everywhere in our homes :)
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

strangerguy
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:18 am

I find this thread hilarious because Asus PC parts and Samsung home appliances are all overpriced at where I live, which is Singapore.

I think the worst offender from Asus is their PG279Q monitor which is thoroughly beaten by the Acer XB271HU that has newer panel version, better overall QC, and a much better stand yet the former is priced a whopping 36% more.
8700K 4.3GHz @ 1.05V | Cryorig H7 | MSI Z370M AC | 32GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3200 | GTX 1070 @ 0.8V | 500GB Evo 850 | 1TB M550 | 3TB Toshiba | Seasonic G650 | Acer XB271HU

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:42 am

No, can't say I've really had this issue.

Asus is at the top of my short list for motherboards and GPUs (I think I've bought only a couple of non-Asus motherboards in the past decade+, and IIRC the last 3-4 GPU purchases have been Asus as well), but off the top of my head I can't think of any other Asus gear that I'm currently using.

Aside from that, I do have brands that I tend to prefer for particular things, but they are just preferences, not a hard-and-fast rule:

LG for mobile phones (and for optical drives too, but that's becoming much less relevant these days).

HP for laptops (Microcenter generally has good deals on refurb ProBooks/EliteBooks, and they tend to be Linux-friendly).

For non-OC RAM, it's Kingston ValueRAM whenever possible. Reasonably priced, low DOA rate (one bad stick in ~15 years of using it to build PCs for myself, my family, and several servers at a previous job), always rock solid stable at "Auto" settings, and reliable (I don't think I've ever had one fail aside from the lone DOA stick).

More than half of the desktop displays in the house are Acer; not because they're particularly great, but because they're cheap and cheerful. They get the job done without breaking the bank, and seem to be reliable.

Wyeast for brewers yeast cultures. Oh, wait... were we supposed to limit this to consumer electronics tech? Yeast cultures are still tech, albeit of the biotech variety! :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.