Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

really weird charging problem with my V20

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:33 pm

So I had lost the wall charger to my LG V20 and bought a new one at Wal-Mart. It's capable of Quick Charge. In the past few months I've been having this weird problem where sometimes I'll plug my phone in and it won't start charging. Unplug the phone, unplug the cable from the charger, unplug the charger from the wall and back in, nothing. The only remedy is to plug the charger into a different outlet and then it will charge, and I can even plug it into the outlet it was originally in and it will charge just fine.

This is really strange to me and makes absolutely no sense, but perhaps someone who is more electrically inclined could give me some sort of answer. Thanks in advance.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: really weird charging problem with my V20

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:07 pm

Walmart charger is as Walmart charger does. It's probably going bad, and the plugging/unplugging routine jostles the electronics enough to get it going.

There's an XKCD for everything.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:23 pm

Can you borrow someone else's charger for a few hours to verify that it is the charger causing the problem, and not some weird issue with your phone's charging circuitry? Does the phone charge reliably if you plug it into a USB 3.0 port on a PC?

And regarding that XKCD... yes, I recently threw out a pile of USB cables which exhibited many of the listed issues! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:53 am

Sorry to semi-derail, but how are you liking the V20? I'm in the market for a new phone and I'm really interested in the V20, but I've read that it's battery life is a big let down. How is the battery life for you? I'm currently on a Galaxy S5 and the battery, even 2 years later, lasts me all day unless I'm using the phone heavily.

Phaleron
Gerbil

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:11 am

Also a V20 user here.

I wouldn't trust a generic walmart charger to work properly myself. My friend has had to replace his V20 charger four times (he forgets everything) as the first two cheap replacements had similar problems to what you're describing. Got the actual LG V20 Charger and it worked great again.

As for my experience with the V20 to answer Acid's question - I do really enjoy it for the most part. The 2nd screen is nice but I'd rather have a larger overall screen like the V30. Great audio and is a very responsive phone otherwise.

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:22 am

Well that sucks that it's the charger. I really like that little thing, it's more compact than the one that came with my phone and it felt pretty solid. Oh well. I did confirm with a regular charging block that it doesn't seem to happen with any other charger.

I love my V20. The camera is excellent and I really like that it has a high quality DAC that kicks in when you plug something into the headphone jack. Battery life hasn't been an issue for me, but I've never been a stickler for having a phone battery last several days without charging. It lasts me through a typical day of blasting music a little too loudly in the car, using GPS while driving for Uber/Lyft, talking to my fiance for a few hours of the day, and taking the occasional picture, and then gets plugged in when I go to bed. That's good enough for me. Plus, it's replaceable. You just can't beat that aspect of LG phones in the current market. It's also relatively serviceable which is nice. Oh, and SD cards. SD CARDS. It's like LG sees all the features being removed from other companies' "flagship" phones and says "why do you hate your customers so much?"

EDIT: I just remembered, I got the charger at Target, not Wal-Mart. I'm sure that doesn't matter though.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:58 am

Just get an Anker charger. Other cheap ones are likely made in China and have forged safety markings.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:06 pm

notfred wrote:
Just get an Anker charger. Other cheap ones are likely made in China and have forged safety markings.

As of ~2 years ago Anker became my "go to" brand for small gadgets like USB chargers. They're well built, do what they claim, and (while not the cheapest) are reasonably priced.

Their combo USB3 hub and Ethernet adapters are nice too; I use them as a "poor man's docking station" for laptops. Saves having to plug/unplug multiple cables all the time (network, keyboard, and mouse all in one go).

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:34 pm

I'll have to check out this Anker brand. Never heard of them. I'm sure they're still well under the absurd price that my local T-Mobile store charges for accessories.

just brew it! wrote:
notfred wrote:

As of ~2 years ago Anker became my "go to" brand for small gadgets like USB chargers. They're well built, do what they claim, and (while not the cheapest) are reasonably priced.

Their combo USB3 hub and Ethernet adapters are nice too; I use them as a "poor man's docking station" for laptops. Saves having to plug/unplug multiple cables all the time (network, keyboard, and mouse all in one go).

I have a serious need for exactly that. I have several USB audio devices that I constantly use (MIDI controllers, interface, a record player, etc.) and my laptop only has 3 ports. Plus it would be nice to only plug in one cable and be done with it. Question though, would I see a significant reduction in performance or increased latency while gaming if I have my mouse and keyboard going through it as well as an audio interface for sound if it's plugged into a USB 3.1 port, or will there be plenty of bandwidth to handle all of that?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:39 pm

Another vote for Anker. I've used their chargers and hubs for a few years now. Back when I had a Galaxy S4 I had one of their extended batteries and rear covers. Looked just like the original only thicker.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:53 pm

ALiLPinkMonster wrote:
I have a serious need for exactly that. I have several USB audio devices that I constantly use (MIDI controllers, interface, a record player, etc.) and my laptop only has 3 ports. Plus it would be nice to only plug in one cable and be done with it. Question though, would I see a significant reduction in performance or increased latency while gaming if I have my mouse and keyboard going through it as well as an audio interface for sound if it's plugged into a USB 3.1 port, or will there be plenty of bandwidth to handle all of that?

I would think there's plenty of bandwidth for that. Any hub will introduce some additional latency though; you will probably just need to try it to see if there's a noticeable difference.

This is the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014ZOJX7W/

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:33 pm

ALiLPinkMonster wrote:
I'll have to check out this Anker brand. Never heard of them. I'm sure they're still well under the absurd price that my local T-Mobile store charges for accessories.

I almost have to deduct your geek points since you don't know the brand and you actually lump it together with those overpriced T-mobile accessories. :P I don't recall Anker was ever sold in carrier stores. Real geeks go to Newegg/Amazon/B&H anyways. Ankers are definitely not your typical Target/Walmart stuff with a bit higher price, but you usually don't have to get another one too soon.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:26 pm

Yes, as the post FF linked notes, Aukey is reasonable as well. I also own one of these. Have only had it for a week or so, but so far seems to work just as well as the Anker ones (i.e. I have had no issues).

One minor downside of the Aukey one is that it has a captive cable, so if the cable wears out it can't be (easily) replaced.

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:47 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
ALiLPinkMonster wrote:

I almost have to deduct your geek points since you don't know the brand and you actually lump it together with those overpriced T-mobile accessories. :P I don't recall Anker was ever sold in carrier stores. Real geeks go to Newegg/Amazon/B&H anyways. Ankers are definitely not your typical Target/Walmart stuff with a bit higher price, but you usually don't have to get another one too soon.

Hey now, I wasn't lumping them in with T-Mobile's crap I was just saying that even if it's pricier than typical Wal-Mart stuff, I'm sure it's still way below the premium T-Mobile charges to put their name on the same typical Wal-Mart stuff. And I've never bought anything from a carrier store besides the phone itself. I'm not the nerdiest nerd around but I know better than to waste my money.

credible
Gerbil XP

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:54 pm

Good to hear about the V20 though that dual screen does not really interest me.

As for chargers, those are one of those things I will simply not buy cheap for, in the end whats an extra $20 to get quality and reliability.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:58 pm

Not to knock Amazon / NewEgg / B&H (who is that?), but when I comes to cables I'd check Monoprice first.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:05 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
Not to knock Amazon / NewEgg / B&H (who is that?), but when I comes to cables I'd check Monoprice first.

We are talking chargers here. Besides, if you just buy one cable, Monoprice's shipping may not make it that worthwhile. Of course if you want nylon-braided or other fancy stuff on the cables, you will have to look elsewhere. :P

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:06 pm

credible wrote:

When I first got it I was kinda thinking "is this really gonna be useful or is it just a gimmick?"
I've actually found it pretty useful in its own right. It's really nice to have a set of shortcuts to some apps right there whenever I need them, and I love that I can turn on the flashlight or toggle things like bluetooth and WiFi with it even when the phone is locked and the main screen is off. Plus it really doesn't take up that much space, the screen is still more than big enough for a phone IMO.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:07 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:

Yes, Monoprice has the best prices on quality cables. But for small quantities you may actually come out ahead ordering the exact same cables on Amazon to get the Prime shipping, even though the Monoprice cables Amazon lists are marked up quite a bit. If you're ordering more than 2 or 3 cables, then yeah you really can't beat ordering direct from Monoprice.

Also, FWIW I've had very mixed results with Monoprice's electronics. Their cables are great, but their electronics not so much IME.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:24 pm

That's a very good point, JBI.

I tend to wait until I have a full shopping list before ordering on Monoprice so dealing with the shipping costs are less of a problem for me. On a side note, if you *don't* have Amazon Prime shipping costs there are pretty scary.

I haven't had any issues with Monoprice's electronics, although I mostly buy chargers and other small stuff; I've heard mixed reviews of their Monitors and other PC peripherals.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:51 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
I tend to wait until I have a full shopping list before ordering on Monoprice so dealing with the shipping costs are less of a problem for me. On a side note, if you *don't* have Amazon Prime shipping costs there are pretty scary.

For me, I don't find myself needing a bunch of cables at a time to make me worthwhile to shop at Monoprice. However, I can almost always find a bunch of other stuff to get Super Saver at Amazon.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:15 pm

I've used Monoprice to stock up on Ethernet cables, and there was also a point at which I got pissed off at how many marginal SATA cables I had in my spare parts box, chucked most of 'em, and ordered a pile of new ones from Monoprice.

credible
Gerbil XP

Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:35 am

ALiLPinkMonster wrote:
credible wrote:

When I first got it I was kinda thinking "is this really gonna be useful or is it just a gimmick?"
I've actually found it pretty useful in its own right. It's really nice to have a set of shortcuts to some apps right there whenever I need them, and I love that I can turn on the flashlight or toggle things like bluetooth and WiFi with it even when the phone is locked and the main screen is off. Plus it really doesn't take up that much space, the screen is still more than big enough for a phone IMO.

Thanks for the info friend, looks like this will be the one I get.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:50 am

Vhalidictes wrote:

B&H is one of the coast camera places that branched out from there. The one that actually stocks a lot of other stuff and has a great website and selection.

Since my Newegg and Amazon shopping experiences are often overrun with junk I kind of appreciate their better curated selection at times.
Meow.

llisandro
Gerbil

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:35 am

Just bought a Pixel, and reading Benson Leung's reviews of Type-C gear has made me very leery of going off-brand. Lots of the cheap Type C stuff is not to spec and even potentially dangerous. Anker's one of the good ones, though. Not sure if this situation better on the QuickCharge side of things (potentially worse, since QuickCharge is proprietary, right?), but I'd stick with the manufacturer's charger unless you know for sure an alternate charger is safe. Not worth the risk, IMO.