Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Your Personal Smart Phone Evolution

Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:00 pm

You know, I have no issue with the people that are using old phones. That's your prerogative. What does bother me is how vulnerable those phones are to security stuff. Quite surprised some of you here are willing to expose yourselves to that. You can be as smart as you want about browsing habits and such, but if you use outdated software long enough chances are you're gonna get "hacked."
Last edited by DancinJack on Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Shobai
Gerbil First Class

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:59 pm

This is probably branching into R&P, but what real choice is there? The upgrade treadmill is such a monstrous waste of resources. These older devices are often otherwise perfectly functional.

It's often struck me as odd, in a way: a lot of the phones listed in this thread cost as much or more than a cheap-and-cheerful Windows laptop., but Patch Tuesday comes like clockwork for those devices.

The Droid 4 doesn't have an unlocked bootloader, but SafeStrap allows it to boot alternate ROMs. The entire time I had them, I was running Cyanogenmod nightlies which kept the OS and kernel patched - but that's not practical for most users.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:42 pm

Yeah, I didn't mean to head into R/P territory. I am just surprised that some of the people I know in this thread are willing to make that trade-off (and some I don't know to be honest). No big deal, and like I said earlier, that's their prerogative. If you're happy then you're happy. I'm not one to tell you that you should switch away from something that works for you.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

strangerguy
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:00 pm

Not to defend the horrid Android OS updating mechanism, but nobody beside us nerd types really care about updates or security. There isn't any serious security breaches in Android AFAIK either despite all the attention drawn to the vulnerabilities and the huge numbers of devices out there.

That said, when iOS finally gets a decent file management I would be ditching Android for good.
8700K 4.3GHz @ 1.05V | Cryorig H7 | MSI Z370M AC | 32GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3200 | GTX 1070 @ 0.8V | 500GB Evo 850 | 1TB M550 | 3TB Toshiba | Seasonic G650 | Acer XB271HU

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:08 pm

strangerguy wrote:
Not to defend the horrid Android OS updating mechanism, but nobody beside us nerd types really care about updates or security. There isn't any serious security breaches in Android AFAIK either despite all the attention drawn to the vulnerabilities and the huge numbers of devices out there.

That said, when iOS finally gets a decent file management I would be ditching Android for good.

Yeah, but most, if not, everyone on this site is a "nerd." That's what surprises me about it.

Also, have you seen the "file manager" in iOS 11? It's not amazing, but it IS something. I doubt they'll be adding some more low-level if that's what you're hoping for. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206481

Village
Gerbil

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:49 pm

Me and the wife always end up with the same phone..

2x Samsung Galaxy S
2x Nexus 4
2x Sony Z3
2x Pixel

They really have hit the point of being good enough I find. My upgrades are based more on contracts and breakage than features.

odizzido
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:45 pm

Mine is pretty simple. LG g3. That is all. I have no plans to "upgrade" it anytime soon. All it's really good for is web surfing and it will keep doing that for years to come I am sure. I've tried doing actual work on it....it takes so long compared to doing it on my desktop. That is if I can even do it since it's not running x86.

Delta9
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:20 pm

DancinJack wrote:
You know, I have no issue with the people that are using old phones. That's your prerogative. What does bother me is how vulnerable those phones are to security stuff. Quite surprised some of you here are willing to expose yourselves to that. You can be as smart as you want about browsing habits and such, but if you use outdated software long enough chances are you're gonna get "hacked."

The "old" phones and tablets that I still use have better security support from custom ROMs (Lineage) than the newest device I use. My DROID Turbo has January or February of this year as their last security patch. My Galaxy Nexus and HP Touchpad are both running newest updates of Lineage 14.1 (7.1.2) are rocking 9/5/17 security patches. The Galaxy Nexus was unbearably slow when it was replaced, however (CM) Android 5.1 woke that thing up like a new piece of hardware. I haven't done the Turbo despite it only being on 6.1. It's my daily driver and despite it turning 3 in a few weeks I am happy with the performance and don't want to lose the actually useful motion controls. Nothing wrong with running old hardware with Android, the pattern of upgrades has been the reverse of iOS, each OS update has actually improved performance and functionality on the old hardware. Probably bc of Google's optimizing for low end Asian and Indian market phones. Dual Core and 1GB was terrible with Android 4.3. I put 5.1 on it, expecting it to still be awful, and was shocked when it ran better than it ever did on stock software. So despite the old hardware, a lot of it, especially when Nerds are involved, is actually running newer software than most 1-2 year old phones. At least at my house.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:13 pm

Delta9 wrote:
DancinJack wrote:

The "old" phones and tablets that I still use have better security support from custom ROMs (Lineage) than the newest device I use.

This right here. This is how messed up Android is. Unless you buy a Nexus or Pixel, you're more or less screwed. I don't accept the argument that it has better support from custom ROMs and the like because the vast, vast majority of people aren't going to do that. They just aren't. I would bet even the majority of people here don't root and custom ROM their phones.

I completely understand the argument. I've been rooting and custom ROM'ing Android phones since the OG Droid. I still own a Pixel. I'm intimately familiar with the ecosystem, but you can't tell me that's a viable alternative to a real update schedule for almost annnnnyone but the few, very few, people that are willing to spend time at XDA versus the "regular" consumer.

edit: sorry, not trying to derail the thread but I thought it was worth stating my opinion on that one.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:53 am

Hmm...my list is not as long as some, but it's certainly longer than jbi's :lol:

LG Optimus V (Virgin Mobile)
HTC One S (T-Mobile)
Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
iPhone 6S Plus (Verizon)
Hemming and hawing currently about my next one but it's likely going to be a Pixel 2 XL (Verizon)
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

gecko575
Gerbil

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:08 am

Motorola Droid a855 (Verizon)
iphone 4 (Boost Mobile)
GS3 (Verizon)
GS5 (Verizon)
GS7 (Verizon)

The GS3 was the first "good enough" phone for me. I don't use my phone for much, mostly work, maps, and pictures. I've been surprised how much the camera has evolved on my devices since I started my smartphone journey.

frumper15
Gerbil XP

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:14 am

BlackBerry Curve 8350i (Horrible Nextel blackberry that was really only good at email - great even. Terrible as a phone or for internet usage. Apps? What are those?)
iPhone 4S
iPhone 6
iPhone 6s
iPhone 7 Plus

I think I can still get my hands on all of them too - the blackberry is in a drawer, one of my children is using the 4S without cell service, my sister in law is using the 6, my brother in law is using the 6S. They've all held up fairly well all things considered (except Nextel and and the BB). The 4S stopped getting updates a while back and the 6 probably needs the battery replaced but otherwise they're pretty usable.
i7-8086K | Z370 AORUS GAMING WIFI | 32GB DDR4-2400 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 512GB 960 Pro | 27" Dell 2560x1440 Gsync | Fractal R6 | Seasonic Focus Plus 850W | Win10 Pro x64.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:29 am

strangerguy wrote:

IOS isn't really a replacement for Android. I switched from a Galaxy S5 for work to a iPhone 6+, and the iPhone is a POS.

16GB, no Flash support because Apple, no app tray so every app needs to go somewhere on the desktop (thank goodness for folder support), and turning off the screen ends the active call because I don't know why someone thought that was a good idea. If I use a headset the screen stays on for the entirety of the call because I guess Apple hates battery life.

Also, apparently there's no grace period for locking it so I need to put my password in each and every time I want to quickly get back to what I was doing.

There are good things: appointments and instant messages show full details even when the phone is locked. It's terribly insecure but that has been helpful since quickly unlocking it is a pain.

The iOS security/support is awesome, but it's so awful to use that I'd rather buy a new Android phone bi-yearly.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:45 am

You must use a very different iOS than I do. 16gb storage minimum went out starting with the iPhone7, and you could always pay for much more storage.
The unlock is super-fast, especially with TouchID. Sometimes it unlocks too fast for me. When I pull it out of my pocket, I turn it on with my thumb while pulling it out and it is unlocked and at the home screen by the time I go to use it.
The hang-up with the power button, to be honest, I've never noticed that. I confirmed that you are right.

adampk17
Gerbil XP

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:51 am

Sprint PPC-6700 - (Sprint)
Motorola Q9h - (AT&T)
iPhone 3GS 32GB - (AT&T)
iPhone 4 32 GB - (AT&T)
iPhone 5 32 GB - (AT&T)
iPhone 6+ 64 GB - (AT&T/T-Mobile)
iPhone 8+ 64 GB - (T-Mobile)
Last edited by adampk17 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Megatron must be stopped, no matter the cost.

Core i7-8086K | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB 3200 | SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G| Corsair CX750M PSU

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:40 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
...Also, apparently there's no grace period for locking it so I need to put my password in each and every time I want to quickly get back to what I was doing.

There are good things: appointments and instant messages show full details even when the phone is locked. It's terribly insecure but that has been helpful since quickly unlocking it is a pain...

As others said, finger TouchID to unlock before you even face the screen. It's either that, or disable it so that the passcode grace period gets enabled. By the same token, avoid the iPhone X and any subsequent "super-premium" model (hah!) until the wonderful TouchID is re-integrated.

...The iOS security/support is awesome, but it's so awful to use that I'd rather buy a new Android phone bi-yearly.

Yep, that has been the only way to go full-on Android since KitKat.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:47 pm

I discovered that the configuring a corporate email account disabled the grace period, so that's not an iOS problem.

I agree with everyone that setting up fingerprint unlock would solve a lot of these issues, except I'm not allowed by policy because it's a business phone used with a 2-factor app.

I was just as surprised as everyone else to discover that such a recent model was limited to 16GB, but apparently that was a unique configuration sold by AT&T.

Voldenuit

Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:59 pm

DancinJack wrote:
strangerguy wrote:

Yeah, but most, if not, everyone on this site is a "nerd." That's what surprises me about it.

Also, have you seen the "file manager" in iOS 11? It's not amazing, but it IS something. I doubt they'll be adding some more low-level if that's what you're hoping for. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206481

Wonder how powerful the File Manager in iOS 11 is. The stock file manager in Nougat is... okay, it does the basics.

However I use ES File Explorer on my phone and tablet to stream music and movies off my windows desktop share, and to drag/drop files from the desktop into the phone, which is pretty convenient. Wonder if Apple is going to allow 3rd party file managers, or lock them down for security reasons.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

trackerben

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:21 am

Vhalidictes wrote:
I discovered that the configuring a corporate email account disabled the grace period, so that's not an iOS problem.

I agree with everyone that setting up fingerprint unlock would solve a lot of these issues, except I'm not allowed by policy because it's a business phone used with a 2-factor app...

Consumer iPhones have no passcode grace period by default. You've been clubbed by the security bunny, say "Ouch".

lex-ington

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:01 am

My list....from what I can remember:

- Motorola Moto Q
- HTC S570
- HTC Desire
- HTC Desire HD
- Nokia E70
- HTC One S
- HTC One (M7)
- Motorola Moto G (3rd Gen) - for about 5 months
- Nexus 6P
- Now an LG G6 (was this or the Samsung S8)

Keep in mind that I abuse my phones.

The Moto Q I had replaced about 9 times...if memory serves me right.

I went from the HTC One S to the HTC one in 6 months cause I dropped the phone from standing at the top of a ladder right on its face....I almost cried on that one.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:46 am

lex-ington wrote:
I went from the HTC One S to the HTC one in 6 months cause I dropped the phone from standing at the top of a ladder right on its face....I almost cried on that one.

I would have cried, too. The One S has been by far my favorite smartphone, but Verizon doesn't carry an HTC phones these days. :-/
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:38 pm

iPhone 3gs
iPhone 4s
then I came to my senses.
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Oneplus 3
Oneplus 5

Kougar

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:33 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
lex-ington wrote:

I would have cried, too. The One S has been by far my favorite smartphone, but Verizon doesn't carry an HTC phones these days. :-/

Hm, HTC used to sell most of its phones unlocked direct from its website in GSM/CDMA flavors, but looks like they've thinned it out to just three models. They do sell an unlocked HTC U11 for GSM/CDMA networks, including Verizon. They were selling new unlocked HTC 10's for 300 off earlier this year for practically any network.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:43 pm

HTC still has a Desire model at VZW. There are a few here and there, but nothing like HTC used to stock at Verizon.

Having said that, Verizon needs to hurry the **** up and get rid of their CDMA network. It'll take a few more years expanding low frequency LTE (so you can get calls inside buildings and such), but they're well on their way. Once that is done hopefully every single phone made for the US market won't have to have two separate models. It's really been annoying. Honestly it was the reason for a lot of enthusiasts to go to Tmo or ATT back in the day because the "cool" phones didn't support CDMA. Moreso for Tmo.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:18 pm

Kougar wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
lex-ington wrote:

Hm, HTC used to sell most of its phones unlocked direct from its website in GSM/CDMA flavors, but looks like they've thinned it out to just three models. They do sell an unlocked HTC U11 for GSM/CDMA networks, including Verizon. They were selling new unlocked HTC 10's for 300 off earlier this year for practically any network.

They were late on the HTC One (m7) which is why I ended up with the Galaxy S4. The camera on the One m9 was hot garbage, according to reviews, so I skipped it and went iPhone. This time out, it's just the Desire that DancinJack noted, which may as well not be a phone. I don't expect my phone to do tons and tons but I also just refuse to buy a device that's one-and-done as far as software support goes. The flagships all get relatively timely upgrades, though.

lex-ington

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:45 am

I had to leave my HTC fetish behind when I switched carriers up here - went from Telus to WindMobile (now FreedomMobile). They use different everything so none of my older phones worked on their system.....now they're the only ones that use the LTE66 waves....which means I don't get LTE service unless it has that radio in the phone....hence this G6 that I don't like.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

Kougar

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:50 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I don't expect my phone to do tons and tons but I also just refuse to buy a device that's one-and-done as far as software support goes.

Couldn't agree more. Far as I know the HTC 10 is just stock android with some HTC specific apps, or at least it feels that way. Multiple patches a month typically. It updated a week or two ago to fix the BlueBorne vulnerability all Android phones with active bluetooth have. Looks like HTC devices will be getting v8 Oreo in Jan.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:53 pm

lex-ington wrote:
I had to leave my HTC fetish behind when I switched carriers up here - went from Telus to WindMobile (now FreedomMobile). They use different everything so none of my older phones worked on their system.....now they're the only ones that use the LTE66 waves....which means I don't get LTE service unless it has that radio in the phone....hence this G6 that I don't like.

Never have I heard someone descirbe LTE bands by LTE"##". Threw me off. Looks to be a lot of good features in those blocks though despite the fact it's up at 1700MHz.

mmp121
Gerbil

Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:24 pm

Here's my list:

Verizon XV6700
Verizon Motorola OG Droid (best phone ever!)
Verizon Samsung Nexus (worst phone ever!)
Google Nexus 6 (2nd best phone ever!) on Verizon - current unit

Contemplating my next device (Would be all over Pixel2 if it still had a headphone jack!). My wife's got all Samsung devices and I prefer the native Android interface by Google to that of TouchWiz.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:22 am

Kougar wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
I don't expect my phone to do tons and tons but I also just refuse to buy a device that's one-and-done as far as software support goes.

Couldn't agree more. Far as I know the HTC 10 is just stock android with some HTC specific apps, or at least it feels that way. Multiple patches a month typically. It updated a week or two ago to fix the BlueBorne vulnerability all Android phones with active bluetooth have. Looks like HTC devices will be getting v8 Oreo in Jan.

If I had gotten an upgrade last year instead of this year I might have bought one. The 10 looked like a great phone.