Personal computing discussed

Moderators: David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Your Personal Smart Phone Evolution

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:17 am

Blackberry Curve (holy crap, PTT was just so damn convenient !!)
Iphone 4S (hated it - ditched it after 2 weeks)
HTC 8X - ahhh, now this is customizable !! Live tiles !!
Nokia 930 - I really wanted the 1520, but the jump in $$ was just too much.

All of the above are/were work phones. I bought a Nokia 640 last year for $30 at BB, and it became my weekend phone. Clearly, I have no future going forward on that platform, but I totally despise Iphones, and I was never impressed with any droid phones. Not looking forward to being forced into either camp when I have been (relatively) happy with my Windows phones.

It seems that the users who have tried Windows phones have by and large enjoyed their experience, but MS continues to screw up their mobile division and finally had the guts to admit they couldn't do it properly after years of saying that they were a player in the game.
Intel i5 2500K@4.3, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD, Powercolor PCS+ 290x 4GB, Samsung 256GB 850 EVO SSD, 2TB Hitachi HDD, Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Corsair H80, Win 7 Pro

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:31 am

Heads up:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41635516
Wi-fi security flaw 'puts devices at risk of hacks'

...The researchers added the attack method was "exceptionally devastating" for Android 6.0 or above and Linux.

The US Computer Emergency Readiness Team (Cert) has issued a warning on the flaw. "US-Cert has become aware of several key management vulnerabilities in the four-way handshake of wi-fi protected access II (WPA2) security protocol," it said. "Most or all correct implementations of the standard will be affected..."

Android users, good luck with your phone updates.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:06 am

HTTPS sites should still be safe. But bottom line is that you should not consider WPA2 WiFi networks to any more secure than an open public access point.

Also worth pointing out that this is a client-side attack, i.e. WiFi APs/routers don't necessarily need to be patched as the vulnerability is on the device connecting to the AP, not in the AP itself.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Chrispy_
Gold subscriber
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:18 am

RickyTick wrote:
Not to derail the thread, but I really miss my Windows Phone. Really a shame it never caught on and I still think it's a superior OS. Oh well...

It may have been a better OS but an OS is just a base-level requirement for the applications that people ultimately want their phones for, and the devs only wrote for iOS or Android.

I actually liked OS/2 Warp - it had a technically better filesystem than Microsoft, and it didn't go down the patronising (and obfuscating) "My Computer" and "My Documents" path, it also didn't split program data into multiple locations (program files, users\documents, registry, like Microsoft did in 1995. But, with everyone writing for Windows, OS/2 was guaranteed to die off.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

geniekid
Gold subscriber
Gerbil In Training

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:26 am

Samsung X450
I think. Based entirely off of cross referencing the image in my memory with GSMArena phone images. I got this phone during my third year of undergrad and I remember being somewhat jealous of all the people in my dorm with RAZRs.

Blackberry Curve 8300
A gift from mom. Still miss the physical keys and trackball sometimes. GPS functionality blew my mind - I would literally stare at the triangle magically moving around while I moved around. Died a little after a year of use so I went back to my Samsung flip phone (branded with Cingular).

HTC Droid Incredible
First phone that I purchased with my own income. Basically made it so I could leave home without knowing exactly where I was going and still get there. I spent many hours learning how to root/unlock the phone to install custom ROMs. Finally settled on Cyanogenmod.

HTC One (m7)
My active phone for the last 4.5 years with Cyanogenmod/LineageOS. Battery life and general performance have really held up over time. Radio seems to be dying though. Camera has been **** since day one. Surprisingly sturdy given that it's never been inside a case.

Will probably upgrade to Pixel 2 pending reviews.

trackerben

Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:43 am

just brew it! wrote:
HTTPS sites should still be safe. But bottom line is that you should not consider WPA2 WiFi networks to any more secure than an open public access point.

Also worth pointing out that this is a client-side attack, i.e. WiFi APs/routers don't necessarily need to be patched as the vulnerability is on the device connecting to the AP, not in the AP itself.

I'm not sure that will the majority case, particularly with "wifi calling" APs provided by major carriers such as T-Mobile. Their on-premise gear is reportedly vulnerable.

Mr Bill
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:19 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
RickyTick wrote:
Not to derail the thread, but I really miss my Windows Phone. Really a shame it never caught on and I still think it's a superior OS. Oh well...

It may have been a better OS but an OS is just a base-level requirement for the applications that people ultimately want their phones for, and the devs only wrote for iOS or Android.

I actually liked OS/2 Warp - it had a technically better filesystem than Microsoft, and it didn't go down the patronising (and obfuscating) "My Computer" and "My Documents" path, it also didn't split program data into multiple locations (program files, users\documents, registry, like Microsoft did in 1995. But, with everyone writing for Windows, OS/2 was guaranteed to die off.
Mee too about Warp. I knew it was doomed when the benchmarkers would only test the speed of a single app in windows vs OS/2 and in those tests windows came out the winner. But OS/2 was superior as a multitasking OS.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:32 pm

I was also a DESQView user way back in the day. Multi-tasking DOS applications in the '80s FTW! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Mr Bill
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:34 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I was also a DESQView user way back in the day. Multi-tasking DOS applications in the '80s FTW! :lol:
I was too!
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro

exmachina64
Gerbil In Training

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:46 am

Palm Pre
Samsung Epic 4G
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
iPhone 5s
iPhone 6s Plus
iPhone 8 Plus

I've been really happy since I switched to the Apple ecosystem.

trackerben

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:44 am

Palm OS straight to Samsung UX? I sympathize. Welcome!

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:20 am

Straight from the horse's mouth: burn-in issues on the Pixel 2 XL are comparable to OLED panels used in other premium smartphones. Uh...the LG V30, maybe, but definitely not happening on my Pixel 2 and it's not happening on the Galaxy phones (it'd be widely reported if it was).
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

End User
Gold subscriber

Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:46 pm

End User wrote:
HTC Touch
IPhone 3G
iPhone 4
Nexus 4
iPhone 5
iPhone 6
IPhone 7 Plus

Honourable mention goes to my HP iPaq hx4700. Window Mobile 6 was a **** OS but it was the best available at the time. HP barely got a working version of 6.1 out the door and never bothered to release drivers for the VGA display.

I placed an order for the iPhone X at 03:05 this morning.
Threadripper 1950X build parts have arrived - i'm procrastinating on the build :(