Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Windows 10 Mobile officially dead

Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:55 pm

drfish wrote:
Anyway, regarding Windows Mobile - I'm still holding out with my refurb Lumia Icon (the app gap has never affected me). I seriously have no idea how long I will keep this phone or what on earth I will replace it with. From my perspective, Android is a scary mess and Apple just annoys the crap out of me. We started a BYOD policy at work last year, after I'd inflicted Windows Mobile on everyone since version 6. I still have people that switched to Android complaining to me about how much of a PITA it is - all because they couldn't live without Waze. :-?

I use almost 0 apps, my phone is primarily web browsing/email and texting, so the whole "app-gap" hasn't bothered me at all.

I have to use an iphone for work and the UI just bugs me. When my 930 eventually dies I'm sure I'll switch to Android, but...bleh.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:06 pm

Sargent Duck wrote:
I use almost 0 apps, my phone is primarily web browsing/email and texting, so the whole "app-gap" hasn't bothered me at all.

Good grief. I'd die.

Tweetbot
Safari
Chrome
Microsoft Edge (ha ha jk)
Pocket
Notes
GreenP
Uber
Beck Taxi
Rocket Man
Hertz
Air Canada
Citymapper
Tomtom
mtrip city guides
SeatGuru
Transit
Google Maps
Magazine apps
Dropbox
Google Drive
Calcbot
Goodreader
Word
Excel
Outlook
Gmail
Office365Admin
Lastpass
Docs
Sheets
Google Translate
LogMeIn
Screens
Prompt
Wikipanion
Waze
Fantastical
Bria
Google Authenticator
Nest
LG TV Plus
Apple TV Remote
Hue
Sonos
Plex
Netflix
YouTube
Prime Video
Formula 1
IMSA
WEC
TV apps
MotorTrendOnDemand
Banking apps
Files
Various network utilities
PayPal
Overcast for podcast
Infuse
Activity tracker

LostCat

Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:15 pm

End User wrote:
Windows 7 is going to surpass Windows 10 usage!

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?platform=pc

It's been going back and forth with wild jumps between 7 and 10 for longer than six months iirc. I have no idea what's up with Steams survey but it is clearly not reliable right now as an indicator of their overall market.
Last edited by LostCat on Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meow.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:28 pm

End User wrote:
*big list of apps*

Dang! Here's my list, the vast majority are built into the OS, or at least 1st party.

Frequent:
Outlook
Messaging
Weather
Podcasts
Camera
Phone

Occasionally:
Steam
IP Cam Controller
Maps
Edge
OneDrive

Almost never:
Pandora
Audible
Remote Desktop

I have a few others, but they aren't even worth mentioning when it comes to needing them.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:48 pm

End User wrote:
Yan wrote:
users simply stayed with Windows 7.

Windows 7 is going to surpass Windows 10 usage!

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?platform=pc

That's definitely weird. I mean, I think Windows 10 is fine. 5% of all steam users is a pretty hefty shift, though.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:47 pm

drfish wrote:
End User wrote:
*big list of apps*

Dang! Here's my list, the vast majority are built into the OS, or at least 1st party.

Well, I guess we know why he always needs the latest and greatest shiny thing. I'm sure many of those apps have services that are always running in the background, and that kind of load would probably bring anything not made in the past year or two to its knees.

I use my smartphone mainly for web surfing, playing music (paid version of Poweramp), navigation, Slack, text messages, taking pictures (I continue to be amazed by the quality of the cameras smartphones integrate these days), and tethering my laptop when I work on the bus/train. I don't have a ton of 3rd party apps installed.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Kougar

Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:43 pm

Jeez, that's an insane list. :lol: A smartphone is pointless without apps though. The Coke Freestyle app has earned me $50 in amazon credit alone, Coke gives $1 per refill even when the cost of said refill is half that. Nevermind all the other reward programs out there.

That said, I mention the official Coca-Cola Freestyle app because it spams GPS location requests, HTC's boost app will usually terminate it after logging between 3,000-5,000 GPS location requests sent by it within a 2 day period. Coke can afford to pay people to use its machines, but can't afford an actual app development team I guess. :P

drfish wrote:
I still don't understand the hate for Win8/8.1. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have Win10 instead, but who spends enough time in the start menu that it mattered? It's not like there wasn't a normal taskbar and desktop. Since Win7, my start menu access has looked like this, hit Windows key -> type a few letters of the thing I need to launch -> hit Enter. That's it, I couldn't care less what it looked like, because I barely bother to look at it. Thanks to Win+X I could get to the important system bits super-fast too.

I did the same thing on Win 7 and loved it for that. You try that on Win 8 and instead of bringing up control panels it brings up the half-assed metro setting panels instead, which either didn't offer the settings the full control panel app does, or obfuscated them under layers you had to click past. Didn't want Win 8 to auto-install updates? You could only enable the "download but wait to install" option if you manually navigated menus to the original windows update control panel, not the metro one. Rinse and repeat that with practically any settings panel. Power config was especially bad as there would be ~5 search results found (most of them additional results intentionally added for new users) and none of them would lead to the original Power Options panel. Type that on Win 10 and you still don't go directly there, you have to click "more options" on the first panel, when Windows 7 would have taken you directly there. Regular Win 7 interactions that take seconds to complete took either 3x longer or 3x the clicks on the successor OS, and even after learning the new UI the same tasks still took longer. That was and always will be my beef with it.

LostCat

Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:28 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
That's definitely weird. I mean, I think Windows 10 is fine. 5% of all steam users is a pretty hefty shift, though.

I've heard Chinese users are upgrading to 7 en masse for PUBG but I don't know. I'd think it'd have to be more than one country to be messing with Steams report so much.
Meow.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:23 am

Kougar wrote:
That was and always will be my beef with it.

Fair enough. I guess I filed that under, "that's annoying" instead of "I will hate this OS forever" though. I think Win8/8.1/10 got a bit of a free pass from me just for cleaning up the pain that applying years of Windows Updates to Win7 means. Much forgiveness for that trade.

Win10 most frequently pisses me off because some of the basic start menu/control panel stuff won't pop-up until indexing is complete on a fresh install or a new user profile. Lame.

End User
Topic Author

Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:05 am

just brew it! wrote:
drfish wrote:
End User wrote:
*big list of apps*

Well, I guess we know why he always needs the latest and greatest shiny thing. I'm sure many of those apps have services that are always running in the background, and that kind of load would probably bring anything not made in the past year or two to its knees.

I've always been on a 2 year upgrade cycle with my iPhones. The 2nd iOS upgrade always tanked the performance of whatever iPhone I had at the time.

Background app refresh can be disabled for any app.

BTW, my server is 7 years old, my gaming PC is 5 years old, and my car is approaching its 6th year (I am hoping it goes to 10+).

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:38 am

End User wrote:
BTW, my server is 7 years old, my gaming PC is 5 years old, and my car is approaching its 6th year (I am hoping it goes to 10+).

Both of our cars are 15 years old. The Camry just needs some exhaust work. The Chrysler mini-van still runs great, but leaks a little oil (maybe I'll get around to replacing the valve cover gaskets before winter), and the rocker panels are rotting away.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:59 am

just brew it! wrote:
End User wrote:

Both of our cars are 15 years old. The Camry just needs some exhaust work. The Chrysler mini-van still runs great, but leaks a little oil (maybe I'll get around to replacing the valve cover gaskets before winter), and the rocker panels are rotting away.

My car is 11 and my wife's is 12. My "server" is 7+ years old (got it used) and our only other computer is the desktop which is ~4 years-old (low end AM3+). Our only "TV" (has no tuner, so technically just a Westinghouse 42" monitor) is 10 years old. The projector is 5+ years old. The only thing we keep anywhere near new is our phones. Mine is 1 year old and my wife's is 3 years old. If it wasn't for the camera's, we probably wouldn't even do that. We pull out the DSLR less than once/year now just because the phone camera's have gotten so darn good for our consumer uses.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:43 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
My "server" is 7+ years old

Mine's an AM2+ system in an ancient Chieftec full tower case, stuffed full of HDDs. ECC RAM, of course. :wink:

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:12 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
My "server" is 7+ years old

Mine's an AM2+ system in an ancient Chieftec full tower case, stuffed full of HDDs. ECC RAM, of course. :wink:

I picked up an old Dell Workstation with a quad-core Xeon for $80. $40 later netted me 12GB of RAM to fill it. ECC RAM, per your recommendation.

End User
Topic Author

Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:49 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
End User wrote:

My car is 11 and my wife's is 12. My "server" is 7+ years old (got it used) and our only other computer is the desktop which is ~4 years-old (low end AM3+). Our only "TV" (has no tuner, so technically just a Westinghouse 42" monitor) is 10 years old. The projector is 5+ years old. The only thing we keep anywhere near new is our phones. Mine is 1 year old and my wife's is 3 years old. If it wasn't for the camera's, we probably wouldn't even do that. We pull out the DSLR less than once/year now just because the phone camera's have gotten so darn good for our consumer uses.

Good grief. This has turned into "who has the tiredest old ****" smackdown!

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:00 pm

As long as Windows Phone gets updates I'm keeping it. I'm not a big app use or social media. I'm getting by just fine. The only bad part is runtastic no longer works so i need to track my runs the by time and map out the distance. I'm tired of this race to the new phone. I'm about to go all Andrew Luck and get flip phone!

Oh, and before this year my motorcycle was 32 years old, van 23, and car 12. I've since gotten a new bike and sold the E150 so i could get a 2002 Avalanche... with242,000 miles. I am also bringing back to life a 87 Virago.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:13 am

End User wrote:
Good grief. This has turned into "who has the tiredest old ****" smackdown!

You rang?

</smackdown>
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Kougar

Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:51 am

6 years on a car is nothing! I can't tell how old Ludi's car is.... I drive a 20 year old Lumina sedan, so it's a close call. :lol:

The Egg

Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:30 am

Ludi looks to have a 96-98'ish Corolla. Solid cars. Speaking of which, maybe it's the area I live, but it seems like you just don't see as many old beaters these days. I suppose it's possible that 15-20 year old cars are aging better than they had in the past, or maybe my own definition of what I see as an "old beater" has changed.

Anyhow.....crazy as it might sound, I think Microsoft could STILL bring Windows Mobile back from the brink if they really really wanted to. Make a high quality "Surface" phone akin to the iPhone, release it across all 4 major carriers, and price it extremely aggressively. Pay to have some of the top apps ported over (or updated). Maybe do something to also aim it at enterprises or government entities, by natively offering something useful to their line of work which isn't on Android or iOS.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:37 pm

Nah. Windows phone is dead. D.E.A.D.

Microsoft literally tried paying devs, writing their apps for them, and publishing them. They still couldn't get people interested. I don't think a new halo device with the exact same strategy they've been trying the past six or seven years will work.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

The Egg

Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:03 pm

DancinJack wrote:
I don't think a new halo device with the exact same strategy they've been trying the past six or seven years will work.

Microsoft never had a strategy or plan. Most Windows phones were low or midrange devices, and the few higher-end models were almost always exclusive to a single carrier. There was no continuity, and when higher-end devices reached EOL, users had no upgrade path unless they were going to bounce between carriers.

Windows Phone also never had a clear-cut halo device. If MS had said "This is the Surface Phone", made sure it was available from all 4 carriers, and then 18 months later released the Surface Phone 2, they'd probably have at least 20% of the market right now.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:16 pm

I'm sorry The Egg, but I just don't believe that and I don't think many other people do either. They just came into the game after Apple and Android had already been established and couldn't get devs or consumers to jump over. It wasn't about halo devices being available on all four carriers constantly.

edit: Come to think of it, I can't think of many carrier exclusive Windows Phone devices. The only one off the top of my head is the Icon, which was a rehash of a phone that wasn't carrier exclusive.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:08 pm

I feel like Microsoft really did everything they could with the Lumia 950 and 950XL. Those devices were $100 less than more-or-less equivalent iPhone and Android flagship devices, but still had the high-end specs. They even got a guy with a very trendy hat to show it off. The only flaw to their strategy was an absence on Verizon.

ludi might have the only car in this thread that's older than mine. Well-played, sir.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

The Egg

Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:44 pm

DancinJack wrote:
I'm sorry The Egg, but I just don't believe that and I don't think many other people do either. They just came into the game after Apple and Android had already been established and couldn't get devs or consumers to jump over. It wasn't about halo devices being available on all four carriers constantly.

edit: Come to think of it, I can't think of many carrier exclusive Windows Phone devices. The only one off the top of my head is the Icon, which was a rehash of a phone that wasn't carrier exclusive.

Really? As a Verizon user, I remember the vast majority of Lumia devices being unavailable to me (most all were AT&T only, including the W10 950), and those that were available elsewhere used different model names/numbers, further confusing potential buyers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Windows_phones

I'd bet that you'd struggle to find a single high-end model in the lineup with continuity across carriers (only being available on the Microsoft Store doesn't count). MS had a very good mobile OS, and they simply half-assed it the whole way.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:13 pm

Just because MS said it was "available from ATT" doesn't mean you couldn't buy it and use it on another network. And sure, I get what you're saying about a lot of the other devices, but just because they didn't work on Verizon doesn't mean they were carrier exclusives either. Chances are if it worked on ATT then it also worked on Tmo. I don't think they actually "locked" anything into ATT ever. I also concede it was confusing for consumers. I"m sure of that part.

MS had an OK mobile OS and just came in way too late and meekly to make it happen for real.

David

Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:39 pm

kvndoom wrote:
Take this thread, substitute "Blackberry 10" for "Windows 10" and amazingly almost everything is still factual. :lol:

Yeeesss. BB10 was so much better than Android or IOS at the time. If they'd have been willing to lose money on the PlayBook at launch and brought the phones out sooner, maybe they would still be around.

The PlayBook was so nice.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:47 pm

The Egg wrote:
Ludi looks to have a 96-98'ish Corolla. Solid cars.

'96. Rusted, keyed, hail damaged, mismatched wheels, and front end accident damage. I keep it around for bad weather and other situations where I want other drivers to feel they have more to lose.

Unlike Windows Mobile, this one won't die.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:49 pm

lol BB10 better than Android KitKat. Funny. BB10 better than iOS 6. Cute.

I applaud you guys for liking what you like and sticking to it though.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:56 pm

ludi wrote:
'96. Rusted, keyed, hail damaged, mismatched wheels, and front end accident damage. I keep it around for bad weather and other situations where I want other drivers to feel they have more to lose.

It also means you don't need to worry about door dings in parking lots. Anyone with a car made in the past decade is more worried about you dinging them than you are about adding one more door ding to your already vast collection.

The first car I ever owned was a Datsun, purchased used with high mileage (I was a recent college grad with no money). By the time the power train finally died, the floor pan was so rusted out that you could see the road through the holes, pieces of sheet metal from the doors would fall off if you slammed them too hard, and the rear bumper was tied on with rope. A random stranger walked up to me in a parking lot once and offered me a couple hundred bucks to use it in a demolition derby.

Bobs_Your_Uncle
Gerbil

Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:00 pm

I use Win10 Mobile on a Lumia 640XL; really like the phone and IMO the OS platform is far superior to either iOS or Android, so the planned deprecation of the platform both disappoints & saddens me. BUT* as a "non-technical" tech enthusiast, I have a question that I don't begin to know how to research ... except by asking you fine folks of the Great & Glorious Gerbil Diaspora:

Q: Given the recent MS initiative to develop Windows for ARM, and the almost total reliance upon ARM within the handset space, is it conceivable that, say, the gang at XDA Developers (or elsewhere) will be able to shoehorn a Win10 for ARM build onto an OEM handset developed & built to run Android? I'm sure there would be a set of base hardware requirements to run Win10 on ARM, but I really have no idea about how intimately such "generalized hardware" (ARM) is developed WRT to any specific OS operating parameters. (I know that numerous examples of Windows/Android dual boot hardware have been demonstrated IRL, for example).

* (I've only dabbled in coding & as Pee Wee Herman observed in Pee Wee's Big Adventure ... "Everybody's got a big but." ... the context dictates a single-t but, butt you know ...)