Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Windows 10 Mobile officially dead

Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:55 am

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Re: Windows 10 Mobile officially dead

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:45 am

I'm one of the remaining few. I love my Lumia 950. I like the continuum dock I'm using to type this and listen to music on a DAC/amp. The integration with Skype on my desktop is pretty sweet, too. Cortana has.a "driving mode" and asks me if I want to hear my texts/Skype messages. Lack of hardware widely available hardware and apps killed it.

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:17 am

End User wrote:

MS's incompetence is mind-boggling at times, they have a mobile OS that is far superior to that children's ios,and just
like Betamax/VHS,they fall in a heap.....................
At least the tards have something to rejoice about..................

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:24 am

I own a Nokia 930 and love it. I love the Windows 10 tiles.

I use an iphone quite regularly for my work on-call and I find the interface lacking compared to Win10. It will be a very sad day when my 930 ends.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:50 am

Maybe it will happen one day: Install the OS you want on the phone hardware you want.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:16 am

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
I'm one of the remaining few. I love my Lumia 950. I like the continuum dock I'm using to type this and listen to music on a DAC/amp. The integration with Skype on my desktop is pretty sweet, too. Cortana has.a "driving mode" and asks me if I want to hear my texts/Skype messages. Lack of hardware widely available hardware and apps killed it.

Unlike a lot of big-company projects, Windows Mobile could have been a contender. Why Nadella killed Ballmer's only good idea is a mystery for the ages.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:20 am

Vhalidictes wrote:
Unlike a lot of big-company projects, Windows Mobile could have been a contender. Why Nadella killed Ballmer's only good idea is a mystery for the ages.

This horse already had two broken ankles by the time Nadella got to it with the rifle, each inflicted when Ballmer's Microsoft erratically changed course on mobile and rolled their developers off the boat. The real mystery is why the developers kept getting back onboard.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:27 am

Even though I am fully, and mostly happily, bought into the entire Apple ecosystem, I think it's sad that MS ended up like this. I thought Windows Mobile had great potential (even though it was always too "Microsofty", it's eventual downfall). It was a great new UI paradigm on the surface (no pun intended; I mean they didn't follow it through the entire OS deeply enough). They had the mantle for a few years, and squandered it, just like Palm did.

It's really too bad, because a third credible competitor would have just made the mobile space all that much better. I fear complacency on both Apple and Google's parts, here.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:14 pm

I gave up mine a year ago but it was a damn good OS. Way better UI than Android and iOS.
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

RickyTick
Gerbil Elite

Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:20 pm

MileageMayVary wrote:
I gave up mine a year ago but it was a damn good OS. Way better UI than Android and iOS.

I agree completely. I gave up mine about 2 years ago. :cry:
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

End User
Topic Author

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:54 pm

MileageMayVary wrote:

Apps > UI

caconym
Gerbil

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:34 pm

Yeah, wife and I were very happy with our Lumias but the app gap just got worse and worse. Once our bank stopped supporting their Windows app we had to switch.

I've been on a Galaxy S5 for a couple years and hate it. Tasks that were fluid and instantaneous on my 2011-vintage Windows phone somehow lag for 1-2 seconds on the much newer Samsung.
3D art desktop: [email protected] - 32gb@2400 - 500gb m.2 850 EVO - GTX 1070 + 750ti (for PhysX) - Noctua NH-U9B - Phanteks P400
2D art laptop: Thinkpad Yoga - i7 4500u - 8gb RAM - 128gb SSD - way too many different Wacom EMR styluses

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:49 pm

End User wrote:
MileageMayVary wrote:

Apps > UI

¿Por que no los dos?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Kougar

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:26 pm

ludi wrote:
End User wrote:
MileageMayVary wrote:

Apps > UI

¿Por que no los dos?

Because apps make or break the phone experience, and people judge the OS as a result.

Case in point, HTC has a "boost" app that combines power saving and errant/abusive app monitoring. It will auto-kill apps that excessively use GPS or other communication protocols, and would aggressively power down apps that didn't need to be running before Android even made that a thing. My HTC 10 has a smaller battery than the Samsung S7 Edge, yet while my phone would lose 4-5% of a charge per day while my friend's S7 Edge was around 20%. Or maybe it's just all the extra UI and customized remade apps Samsung adds to its products. The guy is a tech head that also disabled NFC, bluetooth, and the like so I was pretty amused my phone was outlasting his.

DreadCthulhu
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:50 pm

I think Microsoft forcing the tile-based UI on desktop Windows 8 ended up backfiring on them; MS obviously did this with the intent of using their desktop monopoly to get people accustomed to this UI, and thus want the same thing on their phones. Only people ended up hating it on the desktop, so when they saw it on a phone (where the UI makes some sense) they turned 360 degrees and walked away.

I will note that I hate the flat tile look, whether on a desktop or phone, and that alone would have kept me from using a Microsoft phone, even if it didn't have the app gap or lack of choice in hardware. The scrolling tiles also has the disadvantage in that the physical screen location of an app will change, while on Android or iOS with different desktops you flip too the app icon will always be in the same place on the screen. That makes finding apps that much faster.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use violence well before last resorts are necessary.

If violence isn't solving your problems, then you aren't using enough of it.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:08 pm

Kougar wrote:
ludi wrote:
End User wrote:
Apps > UI

¿Por que no los dos?

Because apps make or break the phone experience, and people judge the OS as a result.

Given a choice between apps or a smooth UI experience, I'll obviously take apps, but there's no reason they can't both be good. Android's UI fragmentation and relative "hitchiness" is a huge demerit compared to what I've seen on iOS and WinMo, even though I prefer Android and have never used anything else on my daily driver.

kvndoom

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:39 pm

Take this thread, substitute "Blackberry 10" for "Windows 10" and amazingly almost everything is still factual. :lol:
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

Yan
Gerbil XP

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:38 pm

DreadCthulhu wrote:
I think Microsoft forcing the tile-based UI on desktop Windows 8 ended up backfiring on them; MS obviously did this with the intent of using their desktop monopoly to get people accustomed to this UI, and thus want the same thing on their phones. Only people ended up hating it on the desktop, so when they saw it on a phone (where the UI makes some sense) they turned 360 degrees and walked away.

Exactly. Microsoft thought that users would have to use Windows 8 on the desktop, and that this would help push Windows on the phone, but Windows 8 was so unpopular that it hurt rather than helped Windows Mobile. Microsoft found out it could no longer force the market, as IBM has earlier discovered with its Micro Channel architecture.

Remember "fast and fluid"?

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:20 am

Yan wrote:
DreadCthulhu wrote:

Exactly. Microsoft thought that users would have to use Windows 8 on the desktop, and that this would help push Windows on the phone, but Windows 8 was so unpopular that it hurt rather than helped Windows Mobile. Microsoft found out it could no longer force the market, as IBM has earlier discovered with its Micro Channel architecture.

It wasn't even the issue of whether Microsoft could "force" the market. I think the market would have gone along with it if Windows 8 hadn't been so obviously, horribly bad on the desktop. Pushing a really wrong idea is what cost MS dearly in the Windows 8 timeframe. Had they approached the whole thing with something less broken, they may have been successful.

As I have pointed out in the past, Apple gets that the mobile and desktop experiences are different. It has been slowly converging the two where it makes sense, but they didn't take a giant hammer and declare them identical, no matter what you naives may think about it.

End User
Topic Author

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:43 am

caconym wrote:
Yeah, wife and I were very happy with our Lumias but the app gap just got worse and worse. Once our bank stopped supporting their Windows app we had to switch.

I've been on a Galaxy S5 for a couple years and hate it. Tasks that were fluid and instantaneous on my 2011-vintage Windows phone somehow lag for 1-2 seconds on the much newer Samsung.

Lag?

End User
Topic Author

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:47 am

Buub wrote:
Yan wrote:
DreadCthulhu wrote:

It wasn't even the issue of whether Microsoft could "force" the market. I think the market would have gone along with it if Windows 8 hadn't been so obviously, horribly bad on the desktop. Pushing a really wrong idea is what cost MS dearly in the Windows 8 timeframe. Had they approached the whole thing with something less broken, they may have been successful.

As I have pointed out in the past, Apple gets that the mobile and desktop experiences are different. It has been slowly converging the two where it makes sense, but they didn't take a giant hammer and declare them identical, no matter what you naives may think about it.

Classic Shell made Windows 8 useable.

The tile UI did work on a desktop OS. The larger the display/resolution, the more ridiculous the tile UI became.

End User
Topic Author

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:52 am

Windows Mobiles negative influence on Windows 8 directed the momentum away from Microsoft in the consumer space.

caconym
Gerbil

Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:47 am

End User wrote:
caconym wrote:

Lag?

e.g. frequent 2-second delays after hitting the home button or the back button, and it consistently takes 2-3 seconds to change screen orientations, which is annoying if you're just trying to show somebody a photo. I understand building in a bit of lag for that function since you don't want the UI just rotating like crazy every time you move the phone around, but multiple seconds in just maddening. My old $99 HP Windows 8 tablet handles screen orientation changes far more fluidly.

There are other things that make the phone seem underpowered as well. The clock app, when it counts to a time that requires changing three digits, lags for a second because it can't handle playing the silly digit-morphing animation on that many characters simultaneously.

I'm sure a lot of this is just Samsung and AT&T's software being bloated, but wiping it and dropping a more stock version of Android on there has always seemed a little intimidating to me.

My next phone will be chosen primarily for how close to stock Android it gets.
3D art desktop: [email protected] - 32gb@2400 - 500gb m.2 850 EVO - GTX 1070 + 750ti (for PhysX) - Noctua NH-U9B - Phanteks P400
2D art laptop: Thinkpad Yoga - i7 4500u - 8gb RAM - 128gb SSD - way too many different Wacom EMR styluses

Yan
Gerbil XP

Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:10 pm

End User wrote:

If your OS is only usable if users install another program, you've got problems.

End User
Topic Author

Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:38 pm

Yan wrote:
End User wrote:

If your OS is only usable if users install another program, you've got problems.

Exactly. Microsoft were so close but their Mobile UI fetish doomed Windows 8 and pushed customers away.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:14 pm

I still don't understand the hate for Win8/8.1. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have Win10 instead, but who spends enough time in the start menu that it mattered? It's not like there wasn't a normal taskbar and desktop. Since Win7, my start menu access has looked like this, hit Windows key -> type a few letters of the thing I need to launch -> hit Enter. That's it, I couldn't care less what it looked like, because I barely bother to look at it. Thanks to Win+X I could get to the important system bits super-fast too.

Anyway, regarding Windows Mobile - I'm still holding out with my refurb Lumia Icon (the app gap has never affected me). I seriously have no idea how long I will keep this phone or what on earth I will replace it with. From my perspective, Android is a scary mess and Apple just annoys the crap out of me. We started a BYOD policy at work last year, after I'd inflicted Windows Mobile on everyone since version 6. I still have people that switched to Android complaining to me about how much of a PITA it is - all because they couldn't live without Waze. :-?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:49 pm

drfish wrote:
I still don't understand the hate for Win8/8.1. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have Win10 instead, but who spends enough time in the start menu that it mattered? It's not like there wasn't a normal taskbar and desktop.

A menu-driven system shouldn't operate in a way that causes loss of workflow continuity. Humans depend heavily on peripheral vision to maintain a context for their workflow; my real desk doesn't vanish just because I go flipping through a stack of papers looking for something else. On a tablet or mobile device that tends to multi-task pre-emptively due to limited screen area, or even an HTPC used in pretty much the same way, a menu takeover can be an acceptable way of managing workflow when transitioning between apps and features. On a 27-inch monitor while working between a DOC, an XLS, a Chrome session, and three PDFs, the Start Screen takeover was as jarring as though my actual desk vanished while thumbing through a file folder.

The tunnel vision that people get while using mobile devices, and incredibly dumb things they sometimes do in the real world as a result, is a pretty good proof that we need peripheral context to manage workflow effectively.

End User
Topic Author

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:04 pm

drfish wrote:
all because they couldn't live without Waze. :-?

I can't live without Google Maps on my phone. After Apple/Google broke up the lack of Google Maps on my iPhone was so painful that making the switch to Android was a real possibility.

Yan
Gerbil XP

Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:47 pm

drfish wrote:
I still don't understand the hate for Win8/8.1

Windows 8 was designed to force desktop users to learn how to use the OS on mobile devices. The idea was that everybody has to use Windows anyway, right?, so they'll just have to learn how to use Windows Mobile. Instead of pushing its successful product (Windows desktop) to its unsuccessful product (Windows Mobile), Microsoft did the reverse: it expanded its unsuccessful product to the successful one.

Users weren't stupid: they could see that the changes weren't designed to make it easier to use desktop Windows. Remember trying to figure out how to shut down your computer, and being astonished that this basic task had become confusing? That's what killed Windows 8 for me: if I couldn't understand it, how will casual users manage? Instead of learning something new for Microsoft's benefit, they simply stayed with Windows 7.

Edit: more on initial reaction to Windows 8.
Last edited by Yan on Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

End User
Topic Author

Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:51 pm

Yan wrote:
users simply stayed with Windows 7.

Windows 7 is going to surpass Windows 10 usage!

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?platform=pc