Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Windows 10 Mobile officially dead

Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:15 pm

Conceivable but not likely. Some group might some day put SOMETHING together, but I wouldn't be holding your breath.

The hardware in the 950 XL is more or less the same as a Nexus 6P as far as the main components go.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Bobs_Your_Uncle
Gerbil

Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:37 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Conceivable but not likely. Some group might some day put SOMETHING together, but I wouldn't be holding your breath.

The hardware in the 950 XL is more or less the same as a Nexus 6P as far as the main components goes.

Oh I'm definitely not holding my breath ... just thinking it may be "relatively" easy to achieve something akin to, say, installing Linux on a machine built for Windows that isn't crippled by any any WinTel-for-security-locked-down-boot-loader-on-a-chip shenanigans.

The app deficit doesn't impact me appreciably, so I'm reasonably happy with Win10Mo. Unless some MAJOR changes develop relatively quickly on iOS & Android (what are the odds???), I'm going to be appreciably unhappy about having to go back to Android, or surrendering to the Walled Garden.

SkyWarrior
Gerbil

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:32 am

I am still holding onto my Lumia 640 with win 10 mobile until it dies (or at least untill the main apps that I use stops the support on the platform).

I feel the safety of 'security by obscurity' on this platform and cannot convince myself to make the switch to any android or iOS device.
Rare is common where I work...

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:07 pm

The Egg wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
I don't think a new halo device with the exact same strategy they've been trying the past six or seven years will work.

Microsoft never had a strategy or plan. Most Windows phones were low or midrange devices, and the few higher-end models were almost always exclusive to a single carrier. There was no continuity, and when higher-end devices reached EOL, users had no upgrade path unless they were going to bounce between carriers.

Windows Phone also never had a clear-cut halo device. If MS had said "This is the Surface Phone", made sure it was available from all 4 carriers, and then 18 months later released the Surface Phone 2, they'd probably have at least 20% of the market right now.

This. The lack of apps was a symptom, not a problem.

In the US, carriers sell the phones. No one buys unlocked devices.
Going to a cell store, salespeople sell phones.
Salespeople push customers to the phones that give them the highest commission.
"Have you heard about the newest Samsung Galaxy? I'll get $20 if you buy one!"

Microsoft entered a market where money is all that mattered, and Microsoft has tons of money.

Windows Mobile failed because Microsoft wanted it to. Why? I don't think we'll ever know, but I'd bet it was Nadella in partnership with Not Invented Here.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:55 am

Holy crap. I might have to get one of these if they come back in stock.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:59 am

drfish wrote:

I hope you WP enthusiasts get you what you want, but that article again highlights how badly MS borked Windows Phone. They didn't even include CDMA support in Windows 10 Mobile? Really? That's roughly half of all US mobile subscribers. Way to crap on your own market.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:06 pm

drfish wrote:

My guess is to be to roll out to Windows tablets with cell connections.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:09 pm

DancinJack wrote:
drfish wrote:

I hope you WP enthusiasts get you what you want, but that article again highlights how badly MS borked Windows Phone. They didn't even include CDMA support in Windows 10 Mobile? Really? That's roughly half of all US mobile subscribers. Way to crap on your own market.

Totally agree. ...but I like what I like, and that phone would buy me a lot more time with WP than my flakey refurb Icon.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:13 pm

I have a Lumia 928 (Verizon OG WP8 phone never got WP10 as a preview for the same stupid CDMA reasons) in a drawer. Used it seriously for about 3 weeks when I first got it in 2014. There's a lot to like about the software. It's a real shame to see how Microsoft mismanaged everything. At work we considered adding Windows Phone as a third platform back when Win10 launched on phones, but scrapped it due to the low apparent interest.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:08 pm

drfish wrote:

I liked a comment on that. They can't even kill their mobile OS right. I'm only on my Lumia 950 because I can't bring myself to pony up the cash for an S8. I'm using Continuum to type this and like the idea of Dex with my DAC and amp combo like I do with Continuum.

What really hosed the OS is not getting the Enterprise support, IMO. If you can get businesses to buy into it then you'll move a lot of product and have some meaningful market share. MDM is kind of a mess and Windows Phone looked promising. If only *sigh*.