Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

notfred
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Recommend a Chromebook

Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:01 am

This is for my son who is in grade 8. All the school work these days seems to be on Google Classroom and they have a mad rush for those without laptops to grab the chromebooks at school. He's got access to the desktop PC in the family area at home, so I want to go with a Chromebook rather than a more general laptop to keep it more (school) work oriented.

1) I'm in Ottawa, Canada so please bear in mind Canadian availability and prices. Bonus points if it's available in a local store like Canada Computers or Best Buy and I can try before I buy or have the ability to return it if it dies an infant death.
2) The Google Pixelbook looks wonderful, but its $1200+tax and that's a bit much to give to a 13 year old boy to have at school. He's not super rough on his things, but he's equally not the most careful.
3) Following on from the above, I know some laptops have coverage plans that protect it against pretty much anything. Any similar plans for Chromebooks?

I was thinking something like one of the Asus ones that's in the $300 range, but there are several of them and I don't understand the advantages and disadvantages of each. I'd hate to pick up one that's an old model and dog slow with poor battery life when there is something for $50 more that is a completely different experience.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Recommend a Chromebook

Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:09 am

Here's an example of what I was thinking of:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... 90596.aspx

What's wrong with going for this? Any better recommendations?

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:14 am

notfred wrote:
Here's an example of what I was thinking of:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... 90596.aspx

What's wrong with going for this? Any better recommendations?

Can't tell if this thing has an SD slot, which your son may or may not need. I would try to get something with a better CPU and more storage for that price.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:55 pm

I ended up going with the Asus I linked above. It does have an SD card slot, and while I agree that the CPU looks anaemic on paper, it is responsive enough and does wonders for the battery life.