Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

princemoga
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Apps crashing on Android Oreo

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:25 am

Hey guys! So I was earlier using Nougat 7.0 on my Galaxy note 8. All apps were running just fine, however, today that I updated to latest Oreo 8.0 multiple apps including Facebook and Instagram are malfunctioning/crashing. Whenever I am opening them it is only displaying a white blank screen and simply closing itself automatically after few seconds.
Can anyone please help me fix it??

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Apps crashing on Android Oreo

Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:09 am

Have you tried deleting the app data? You'll do that from the phone's settings screen, but since everyone skins Android I couldn't tell you how to get there. Once you've gotten to the list of all the apps on your phone, select one of your apps that are crashing and inside there somewhere will be buttons that let you delete app data, force stop, that sort of thing. Delete a crashing app's data, which will basically reset it - for the two apps you mentioned you'll have to log back into them.

If that's too hard to find, you can get there by deleting and then reinstalling the app instead.

I had to do this for a few apps after my OnePlus 5T upgraded to Oreo.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

arunphilip
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Apps crashing on Android Oreo

Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:42 am

princemoga wrote:
Hey guys! So I was earlier using Nougat 7.0 on my Galaxy note 8. All apps were running just fine, however, today that I updated to latest Oreo 8.0

Samsung haven't released Oreo for Note 8. It's expected to release only by the end of March (link). In Samsung's family, Oreo is currently available (IIRC) only for the Galaxy S8/S8+ (as an upgrade) and S9/S9+ (out of the box).

So, the question is: are you running a beta/pre-release/unofficial build of Oreo on your Note 8? If so, such behaviour is par for the course, particularly if it is not a build directly provided by Samsung, but via other channels like XDA Developers, etc. If its some manner of an official beta (I don't recall Samsung running one for the Note 8, however), then reach out via the listed beta support channels, if some unofficial source, see what that site is saying.

I know my post seems unhelpful, but that's sort of the reality of running unsupported configurations - you might face unexplained issues.

For what it's worth, try out what bthylafh has suggested - going so far as to reset the app's storage (from the App Info screen), and maybe even try uninstalling & reinstalling the app.