Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Amazon is recalling risky power packs

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:26 am

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43402175
Owners of Amazon's own-brand power bank chargers have been contacted by the firm telling them to stop using them. A recall covering six models of the AmazonBasics-branded product was announced in the US and Canada on Tuesday.
A notice posted by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warned the packs could "overheat and ignite, posing fire and burn hazards"...

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: Amazon is recalling risky power packs

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:35 pm

Thanks for the head's up. I don't own any (I tend to buy Anker for this kind of stuff) but I think I know a couple of people who might. I assume if they bought them from Amazon the company will be contacting them (one thing about selling to people directly: you know how to find them) but with this kind of thing you want to take precautions asap.

arunphilip
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:53 am

The logistics of surface-shipping dodgy batteries is always a pain. It would be interesting to see a write-up about how this is managed. (or on a larger scale, the Note7 recall).

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:05 pm

I was going to get one of the smaller models, but wound up buying a super-slim Axing 2Ah during my Osaka trip. Oh well, I must now treat AmazonBasics with some suspicion, considering that I've been ordering their Sanyo-OEM NiMH.

They're handling the problem via customized channels in their fulfillment system, which makes sense.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykar ... d8a0821b46
...Amazon is only providing refunds after they receive the items. Once you complete the recall form online, you'll receive a prepaid shipping box. Send it back with your power bank inside and Amazon will credit you for the amount you paid...