Personal computing discussed

Moderators: David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

cooperboy
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Planning to buy an entry level budget Laptop, any suggestions?

Sat May 19, 2018 3:13 am

Hi everyone!

I am planning to buy an entry level budget laptop which I can use for only web browsing, streaming, watching movies and do some MS Office works. I am from India and m budget is around Rs.25,000 (US$400).
Any suggestions please?

castdude
Gerbil In Training

Re: Planning to buy an entry level budget Laptop, any suggestions?

Sat May 19, 2018 9:11 am

Hello,

Are you in India? I am asking as shipping may significantly affect the overall price. If you are not always carrying the laptop around and do not mind an eight pound laptop used mostly in one location, I would recommend looking into a Dell off-lease business grade laptop, which are usually about three years old but built to last, and can perform all the tasks you need. I have several Latitude E6530 laptops, with desktop i7 processors (8 threads) running Windows 7 professional, 8 to 16 GB RAM, with 256 GB SSD drives, with 1920 by 1080 or 1600 by 900 non-touch screens, that I paid about $330 apiece. Docking stations can be sourced from Ebay for about $15, which further increases flexibility. For those with a budget around $650 or so, a brand new mid level laptop may be obtained from multiple sources with a modern graphics card. If you go to the Dell website, create an account, and just browse around, they will eventually send you discount codes a day or two earlier than they release to the general public, so you have a better selection of multiple different models before they sell out. You may also check out the Techbargains website, which will carry notifications about the Dell refurbished laptops every month or two. Alternatively you may also use Slickdeals which usually promotes new laptops of all varieties. When you have found something, please post again, as the forum members here will chime in with mostly useful information about their experiences with that brand or model, of hopefully, will provide active links to the best deals currently available. Good luck with your search!

Castdude

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 19, 2018 12:02 pm

I've had very good luck with a used Thinkpad I bought two years ago for $275, similar in specifications to what castdude is describing. Look for a seller dealing in lots of used office/corporate machines - they're usually in better condition than a random used laptop that was owned for personal use.

Alternatively, if you're fine with the limitations it imposes, ~400 USD will get you a good new Chromebook that will also be light-weight, have good battery life, and have excellent security.

uni-mitation
Silver subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Sat May 19, 2018 1:05 pm

I will recommend what I know: the Thinkpad T420. This is a laptop that has been used by many corporate clients. It is my assumption that you will have no trouble finding one for that budget in India. You are practically getting a durable road warrior for a budget price.The keyboard is widely considered to be one of the very best. It is just sexy.

uni-mitation

castdude
Gerbil In Training

Sat May 19, 2018 1:35 pm

the Techbargains website has a Dell refurbished weekend sale right now. Many choices, starting at $209.

ka121
Gerbil In Training

Mon May 21, 2018 11:19 am

If you can extend your budget slightly, get the Acer A515-51G. It has the 940MX GPU which you won't find on any budget laptops.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon May 21, 2018 11:42 am

uni-mitation wrote:
I will recommend what I know: the Thinkpad T420. This is a laptop that has been used by many corporate clients. It is my assumption that you will have no trouble finding one for that budget in India. You are practically getting a durable road warrior for a budget price.The keyboard is widely considered to be one of the very best. It is just sexy.

uni-mitation

I use one at home. Just added 8gb ram, 256gb ssd, and a new battery. Runs windows 10 just fine. i use it for web browsing, email, and watching netflix etc.

You can also go with the t420s (slim) models that do not have dvd drives and save a little weight.

Price should be around $100 with another $150 for memory, ssd, and battery upgrades.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD