Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Nelliesboo, David, mac_h8r1

 
alexanoin
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:27 am

Export Android SMS to TXT?

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:41 am

Need to print a copy of messages on my Android phone as an evidence submitted to court. How can I export the messages to plain text?
 
DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:01 am

Re: Export Android SMS to TXT?

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:57 am

Court? I'm no lawyer but the evidence of a plain text file would be pretty week. Ask your cell phone provider. Better yet ask a lawyer to submit a request to the cell phone provider. Depending on how much you care, just ask a lawyer because none of us are going to be qualified to give legal advice.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51858
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Export Android SMS to TXT?

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:02 am

Yeah, what he said. I don't think a plain text file would be acceptable as evidence in a court of law, since it would be trivial to fake it. You need to talk to a lawyer with experience in this area.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 22315
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: Export Android SMS to TXT?

Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:48 pm

Just print out a screenshot?
 
DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4116
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: Export Android SMS to TXT?

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:06 pm

If you want it to be viable in court you need to have an eDiscovery firm do it. A text file of SMS/MMS means nothing. You should talk to a lawyer and see who/what they suggest. Could also possibly get a copy from your carrier, but that almost surely requires a court order (and a waiting period) too.

edit: not sure this user will be back (read: that it's not a bot)

https://discourse.processing.org/t/can- ... s-app/2526 - created account same day/time period as this one and made one post.

and another - https://forums.unrealengine.com/member/ ... -alexanoin
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100
 
demolition
Gerbil First Class
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:27 am

Re: Export Android SMS to TXT?

Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:46 am

If you really need it exported into a text file, the fastest way is to just open notepad and start typing. Be sure to type it exactly as it is in the SMS (it can't be that long). The output of this will be the same as if it was done by some app/tool which shows that it is not really proof of anything.
 
alexanoin
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:27 am

Re: Export Android SMS to TXT?

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:19 pm

demolition wrote:
If you really need it exported into a text file, the fastest way is to just open notepad and start typing. Be sure to type it exactly as it is in the SMS (it can't be that long). The output of this will be the same as if it was done by some app/tool which shows that it is not really proof of anything. You can also use third-party app to do this.


No, this is unacceptable.
Last edited by alexanoin on Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51858
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Export Android SMS to TXT?

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:30 pm

alexanoin wrote:
demolition wrote:
If you really need it exported into a text file, the fastest way is to just open notepad and start typing. Be sure to type it exactly as it is in the SMS (it can't be that long). The output of this will be the same as if it was done by some app/tool which shows that it is not really proof of anything.

No, this is unacceptable.

If that's not acceptable, I don't see how a plain text file produced by an export tool would be either. Plain text is plain text. The file will be identical either way.

As already explained, a plain text file is very unlikely to be acceptable as evidence, no matter how it was produced. It is too easy to fake.

Have you spoken to a lawyer yet?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2693
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:52 am
Location: That London (or so I'm told)
Contact:

Re: Export Android SMS to TXT?

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:36 am

just brew it! wrote:
As already explained, a plain text file is very unlikely to be acceptable as evidence, no matter how it was produced. It is too easy to fake.

Have you spoken to a lawyer yet?


Speaking to a lawyer is absolutely the starting point.

That said, I'm not convinced that plain text is going to have no value as evidence... It's essentially just like a witness statement and we allow witnesses to give evidence in court. If it comes down to "I say you said this, you say you said that" then I presume the network operators would get called in rather than relying on anything on anyone's phone. IANAL but authenticating evidence is only important if it's disputed and you've got to be pretty stupid to dispute something you know you sent in a text message because the network operator will be able to authenticate it so you're perjuring yourself for no gain.

All that said I'd just go to messages.android.com on your computer and copy and paste the conversation into a text editor. This assumes you use the google "messages" sms app)

Alternatively I'd consider using airdroid to access your sms in your computer's browser and again just copy and pasting. That should work with any standard sms app but won't work with things like signal or facebook messenger.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!
 
derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 24714
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: Export Android SMS to TXT?

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:05 am

alexanoin wrote:
demolition wrote:
If you really need it exported into a text file, the fastest way is to just open notepad and start typing. Be sure to type it exactly as it is in the SMS (it can't be that long). The output of this will be the same as if it was done by some app/tool which shows that it is not really proof of anything.


No, this is unacceptable.

That's the point. A text file can say anything. It's not proof of your conversation history. What you're asking for is very obviously of no value for this very reason.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
 
DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4116
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: Export Android SMS to TXT?

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:52 am

You guys, I worked for an E-Discovery company, dealt with lawyers every single day (multiple times a day). You can't just bring in plain text of SMS/MMS to court and say "here it is your honor." You have to have it memorialized by a third-party, or have the actual device in evidence or the like.

I know this is expensive and time-consuming, but that's court (and lawyers). If there is a judge that would just accept a piece of paper with plain text SMS on it typed out by a defendant, I want to meet that judge.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100
 
olegtf
Gerbil
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Export Android SMS to TXT?

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:03 pm

alexanoin wrote:
Need to print a copy of messages on my Android phone as an evidence submitted to court. How can I export the messages to plain text?

well, going to tech details, without legal mambo jumbo, which does depend on the idiot in the robe mainly. You have two options, either forward messages to the computer with something like "text now" installed, or copy-paste and send 'em to your e-mail. It will have whole date-time stamp and who sent it to you.
 
DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4116
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: Export Android SMS to TXT?

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:15 pm

lol it's like people aren't even reading this thread and then posting into the ether. goodness gracious.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100
 
ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Posts: 8109
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:47 pm
Location: Sunny Colorado front range

Re: Export Android SMS to TXT?

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:27 pm

DancinJack wrote:
I know this is expensive and time-consuming, but that's court (and lawyers). If there is a judge that would just accept a piece of paper with plain text SMS on it typed out by a defendant, I want to meet that judge.

You betcha. I want to show him all those text messages you sent me with promise to repay that $230,000 I loaned you last year.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests