Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Pixel 3 and 3XL

Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:21 am

I'd just about settled on replacing my Pixel 2 (which I'm not that unhappy with, other than the screen size) with an iPhone XR or XS Max, but I wanted to wait to see what Google announced today.

And honestly, I'm pretty impressed. I guess it remains to be seen if the new XL's display gets its reputation marred by LG like last year's model. I had actually pre-ordered a Pixel 2 XL and canceled it when reviews came out. That's the lone question mark. And it was a mistake to get the smaller Pixel for me just because I was giving up a ton screen real estate 5" from 5.5" doesn't sound like much, but it affects total surface area). I won't make that mistake again.

My phone is the camera I have on me most of the time, so Google's sales pitch about low-light /HDR+ camera performance and the "best shot" AI stuff is exactly what I'm looking for. I want passable low-light performance on something smaller than my dSLR and I like the way they grab a bunch of images of moving targets. The zoom thing sounds neat, but it's not exactly what I'm in for.

The price is pretty decent, too. 64GB for $899 on the XL is more than the XR's $749 price tag (in exchange for giving up quite a bit of display resoultion) but it's also a lot less than the XS Max's $1099 starting price.

So I guess we'll see. Being a Verizon carrier exclusive is a bonus for me since I'm on big red, but not having it on other carriers means buying it outright or financing through Google. Either way it'll be hard to sell a big volume if you can't get it into every carrier's stores.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Re: Pixel 3 and 3XL

Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:32 am

I've been highly unimpressed with my Pixel 2 and preferred the Galaxy S8 hardware-wise. In a perfect world, Google and Samsung would work together to deliver a stock-Android Samsung phone. But the Nokia phones seem to be close enough and a hell of a lot cheaper to boot. Short of calamity I won't be upgrading for a few years, but Google doesn't provide enough value per dollar to look at if I did. I thought I wanted an amazing camera phone, but my RX100 is better for "good shots" and a crappy camera phone is good enough for "hey look this is my lunch" social media shots.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:35 pm

If you're always carrying that camera, then I agree. I don't sport a satchel and my D3300 doesn't fit in my pockets. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:01 pm

I'm not really sure how you'd quality the Pixel 2/XL camera as crappy, but okie dokie!

I have a P2XL and I will not be getting another Google phone for at least a year or two. It's not that I don't want to upgrade, but I just don't think they've done anything that I personally want. I also think the Pixel phones feel kinda like toys. I just don't think they feel great. They also aren't exactly great looking IMO. I just don't really see anything that I want from the P3. Wireless charging is nice, but definitely not going to get me to upgrade my phone for that particular feature. I think the notch is atrocious. Simply awful. WHY IS IT SO DEEP?

From everything I have seen, the screen on the XL 3 is much, much improved over last year. I don't think we'll see the same sort of issues as we did with the 2 XL. Anandtech does say it's still "P-OLED" (i'm not even sure why Google made a deal about that - so dumb).

Seems like it's the same lens/sensor on the camera setup (apparently it's a new sensor, though I expect it's just an iteration on last year's Sony flagship). Hopefully they've made some really good advances with the "AI" stuff. They touted it quite a bit, especially the Zoom stuff, hopefully they can deliver. Wide angle selfie shooter? very meh. zero poops given. Louder speakers? Again, zero poops given. (speaking of, I do not and will not understand why people care so much about front facing stereo speakers. I understand the purpose, but like, use headphones. it's gonna be a better experience nearly every. single. time.)

Anyway, maybe this is the year Google actually figures out supply chain logistics and doesn't have a shortage from day one. Maybe. They still feel like they're working on an unfinished Nexus program and never expect to sell any real volume, and it makes me think they just don't care. Hoping that changes.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:38 pm

DancinJack wrote:
I'm not really sure how you'd quality the Pixel 2/XL camera as crappy, but okie dokie!

re: this part of your post, he says he has a Nokia and that's the crappy camera. I think.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:40 pm

Just hope the 3 isn't too Verizon-infested. The old Nexus 6 won't hold much of a charge any longer and there's no way I'm putting up with Samsung.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:43 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Just hope the 3 isn't too Verizon-infested. The old Nexus 6 won't hold much of a charge any longer and there's no way I'm putting up with Samsung.

There's an unlocked version. Just get that one.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:43 pm

Yeah, the battery life on mine is starting to fall off a cliff also. I've seen battery replacement kits around, but I'm not sure it's really worth the effort, and I'm not keen on getting a phone from Samsung either. I like the idea of getting an unlocked phone, but a free upgrade + contract vs. <insert ridiculous pricing here> doesn't seem like a bad deal either.
Last edited by Redocbew on Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:44 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
DancinJack wrote:

re: this part of your post, he says he has a Nokia and that's the crappy camera. I think.

I didn't read it like that, but I may have been mistaken. I thought he has a P2 and is thinking about a Nokia for his next phone if and when need be.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:46 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Yeah, the battery life on mine is starting to fall off a cliff also. I've seen battery replacement kits around, but I'm not sure it's really worth the effort, and I'm not keen on getting a phone from Samsung either. I like the idea of getting an unlocked phone, but a free upgrade + contract vs. <insert ridiculous pricing here> doesn't seem like a bad deal either.

Where do you get a free phone, unless it's a BOGO? I haven't seen that in years. You just pay in installments these days.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:48 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

I'll need to see that VZW (my only real carrier choice) will allow an unlocked version to make VoLTE calls. The Nexus 6 is capable of same, but VZW has always been "you didn't buy it here, so sod off".

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:51 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

I'll need to see that VZW (my only real carrier choice) will allow an unlocked version to make VoLTE calls. The Nexus 6 is capable of same, but VZW has always been "you didn't buy it here, so sod off".

Odd. My Pixel and P2 XL have both been unlocked and I've been allowed VoLTE calls. YMMV obviously depending on region, but as far as I know Verizon doesn't limit it by device as long as it supports the features via SoC/modem. Maybe that's been a change they made recently, but who knows.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:53 pm

Yeah, "free" may be a misnomer. Now that I think about it the pay in installments thing might have been my justification for getting an unlocked phone last time. That, and I liked the idea of a lump sum up front in exchange for slightly smaller monthly payments. It just seems unlikely to me that I'd actually take my phone(whatever I end up getting) to another carrier even if I had the option.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:54 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Yeah, "free" may be a misnomer. Now that I think about it the pay in installments thing might have been my justification for getting an unlocked phone last time. That, and I liked the idea of a lump sum up front in exchange for slightly smaller monthly payments. It just seems unlikely to me that I'd actually take my phone(whatever I end up getting) to another carrier even if I had the option.

I understand that, it's more about the carrier bloat for me. I refuse to extend a contract and have my phone infested with (at times) uninstallable Verizon apps. No way no how. Not in 2018.

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:02 pm

DancinJack wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
DancinJack wrote:

I didn't read it like that, but I may have been mistaken. I thought he has a P2 and is thinking about a Nokia for his next phone if and when need be.

Right now I have a Pixel 2 (excellent phone camera, mediocre camera camera). If I had to get a new phone right now I would opt for a cheaper Nokia (average phone camera; junk camera camera) and supplement it with my RX100M3 (pretty good camera camera) or A6000 (good camera camera*) for important events. I would lose out in situations where I leave my cameras at home, but it's not worth the $500+ price gap and dearth of a 3.5mm port.

*Well, until my CAT KNOCKED IT OFF A TABLE last weekend. I hope Asurion is thorough on diagnostics and repairs, and I really, really hope that nothing happened to my flawless-copy 18-135mm lens.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:03 pm

RE: the screen. wow.

https://twitter.com/DisplayMate/status/ ... 5996989440

in case you don't wanna twitter: Pixel 3 XL screen = A+ rating from DisplayMate (for reference, last years iPhone X also got an A+ and was widely considered the best screen on the market, and this years X s also got an A+ -- The Note9 also got an A+).

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:06 pm

Kretschmer wrote:
Right now I have a Pixel 2 (excellent phone camera, mediocre camera camera). If I had to get a new phone right now I would opt for a cheaper Nokia (average phone camera; junk camera camera) and supplement it with my RX100M3 (pretty good camera camera) or A6000 (good camera camera*) for important events. I would lose out in situations where I leave my cameras at home, but it's not worth the $500+ price gap and dearth of a 3.5mm port.

*Well, until my CAT KNOCKED IT OFF A TABLE last weekend. I hope Asurion is thorough on diagnostics and repairs, and I really, really hope that nothing happened to my flawless-copy 18-135mm lens.

Maybe it's time for a r7 or A6500 :)

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:32 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Kretschmer wrote:

Maybe it's time for a r7 or A6500 :)

I'm actually really interested in a hypothetical A6700 with improved touch control and other updates. But right now I'm way more limited by my skill than any hardware!

#SonyMoreAPSCLensesPlz

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:04 pm

DancinJack wrote:
RE: the screen. wow.

https://twitter.com/DisplayMate/status/ ... 5996989440

in case you don't wanna twitter: Pixel 3 XL screen = A+ rating from DisplayMate (for reference, last years iPhone X also got an A+ and was widely considered the best screen on the market, and this years X s also got an A+ -- The Note9 also got an A+).

The replies to this tweet remind me why I deactivated my account.

"Well you've lost all credibility with basically everyone"
"What about blue shifting???It has an lg display so i don't see how it can get a+ scores with that ugly blue shifting."
"All newtop manufacturer flagships now have the best displays. We all know the note 8 had the best display. People should stop listening to your nonsense. The same way I gave up in DxOmark"

And those are the "polite" responses. Being jaded is just way too cool.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:15 pm

Some people are awful, some are in between, some are good. Twitter can be a truly awful place at times. The replies to that are typical though. Just idiots being idiots. Just gotta pass them by without ack'ing.

Just happy to see LG (and Google) finally made a decent screen. The XL screen last year was really a farce. I couldn't believe they released it with how it was. They had to get it out for holiday revenue, and you could tell later revisions were definitely better, but they should have never put it out like that. Just crazy.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:33 pm

http://www.displaymate.com/Pixel_3XL_ShootOut_1g.htm

It's pretty shocking how much progress LG has made in a year. The 2 XL display that got out into the wild in some devices was legit awful. Just trash. This 3 XL display that DisplayMate reviewed is pretty much on par with the X s Max/X s. That's honestly amazing.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:46 pm

DancinJack wrote:

It's pretty shocking how much progress LG has made in a year. The 2 XL display that got out into the wild in some devices was legit awful. Just trash. This 3 XL display that DisplayMate reviewed is pretty much on par with the X s Max/X s. That's honestly amazing.

Don't forget that Apple invested tons of money into LG to get their POLED displays up to snuff, supposedly. It's been 15 months since that rumor and maybe they finally did it.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:51 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
DancinJack wrote:

Don't forget that Apple invested tons of money into LG to get their POLED displays up to snuff, supposedly. It's been 15 months since that rumor and maybe they finally did it.

Indeed you are, but Apple still buys from Samsung AFAIK.

The 3 XL display is REALLY close to the X s in nearly every metric except brightness. Samsung displays still crank that brightness quite a bit (it's gotta POP!). The 3 XL is even better in some cases. Truly amazing what they've done in a years time (from commercially available products is what I mean).

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:05 pm

Oh definitely. Everyone is better off with two possible sources for great-looking OLED displays.

The reviews of the 3 and 3XL seem generally positive. That's good news for Google. I hate the way that they didn't put status bar icons on two rows, though. The tabs that surround the notch seemed to be tall enough for two rows, and it seems like such an obvious way to use that space.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:16 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Oh definitely. Everyone is better off with two possible sources for great-looking OLED displays.

The reviews of the 3 and 3XL seem generally positive. That's good news for Google. I hate the way that they didn't put status bar icons on two rows, though. The tabs that surround the notch seemed to be tall enough for two rows, and it seems like such an obvious way to use that space.

Oh my god don't even get me started. That notch is hideous. I'm not a fan of the notch in general on phones, but Apple makes it look so elegant compared to everyone else. It's pretty sad. The new notification/clock/whole status bar scheme in Pie is shockingly bad. Even if you don't have a notch, the clock is on the left side and the max number of notifications you can have before it starts to ellipse off is FOUR. Four. That's it. I don't even know what UX tests they did and concluded that was the best decision. It's amazing some decisions that come out of companies as big and with as many resources as Google at times. Oh by the way, ALMOST ALL SOFTWARE ON THE PHONE, INCLUDING GOOGLE'S APPS, DOESN'T EVEN USE THE EXTRA SPACE THAT ISN'T TAKEN UP BY THE NOTCH. IT JUST BLOCKS IT OUT WITH A SIMILARLY COLORED BAR/FILL. sdjklfsjakdsfk;jlskal

So yeah, the reviews seem pretty positive. The "soft-touch glass" is just an awful decision IMO. I understand what they were trying to do, but it really did not work well. Every single review I have seen says it scratches like MAD and the Ars review said the phone is a grease magnet. I just don't understand the thinking for some of the tradeoffs.

I also in no way understand the whole "it must have stereo speakers!" trend Google has been on for a while now. (IIRC everything back to the 6P has had stereo speakers on the FRONT of the device) Look, there is a mf chin on this phone which at least initially looks like its there due to the speaker assembly. There is enough room for a 3.5mm headphone jack. I would bet money on it. No one uses the speakers on a phone as a serious listening device. It's nice for YT videos and the occasionally movie, but I would so so so so so so so so so much rather have a headphone jack than stereo speakers it's not even funny.

The camera is amazing, as predicted. Continue the good work here Google. It's amazing how far you have come since the early Nexus days which had legit dumpster fire cameras.

Done ranting. It's a good phone all in all. I just won't be buying it.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:40 pm

Welp, maybe LG hasn't done as well as we'd hoped. It's a Samsung panel.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10 ... lay-panel/

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:15 pm

To quote my dad, "Welp..."

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:27 pm

Glass issues won't bug me, as I always put a slimline case on my phones and there are several out there already that won't interfere with the wireless charging. Just need to find out how bad the VZW offering has been polluted by VZW app replacements.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:30 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Glass issues won't bug me, as I always put a slimline case on my phones and there are several out there already that won't interfere with the wireless charging. Just need to find out how bad the VZW offering has been polluted by VZW app replacements.

If it's like the Pixel 2, the software is totally Verizon-free. You can download the VZW messages app to sync your SMS messages, but then delete it after that and now you have your last 3 months of texts.

BTW, my wife has an Otterbox Defender on her iPhone 8 Plus and it wirelessly charges just fine. I'm sure the same is true of most Qi-compatible devices, too. I wouldn't focus on going thin on a case if you're worried about charging performance.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:42 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
If it's like the Pixel 2, the software is totally Verizon-free. You can download the VZW messages app to sync your SMS messages, but then delete it after that and now you have your last 3 months of texts.

BTW, my wife has an Otterbox Defender on her iPhone 8 Plus and it wirelessly charges just fine. I'm sure the same is true of most Qi-compatible devices, too. I wouldn't focus on going thin on a case if you're worried about charging performance.

Y'all crazy. If you're using an Android phone, you should be using the default Google Messages (I think it's called just "Messages" now) app. It syncs all your SMS back to your Google account by default. And it has a dark mode. It doesn't have all the features of some other SMS/MMS apps but I won't use anything else.

I do use an app to backup MMS messages (group convos, it still can't do images/videos/etc) and it's so nice to have all the messages every time I wipe/get a new phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... g&hl=en_US
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... kupRestore

edit: I still Ned's best course of action is to buy the Google version of the phone from the Google Store. I have honestly done this since the 6P and all the Google features (like VoLTE) have worked for me. I'm not sure what the deal was with his 6P and that particular issue.
Last edited by DancinJack on Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.