Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Ferianin
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

multiwii quadcopter

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:44 am

I got into my 1st multi ever. ;) got every thing set up 'almost' ready to test fly. But I have some basic question/newbie question.
I know there are some experienced multi flyer here. ;)

I am using HK mega pro (mega 2560)with MTK GPS using Multiwii 2.1, ERSKY9X r130
Hobbywing 18A ESC with 5V BEC, 1100Kv motors

1. how do you change from ACRO mode to STable mode in the air, the stick command requires the throttle stick all the way down? won't that shut the motor off? (newbie you know ;) )
2. why the motors need to be running after arming?
3. can arming be programmed to a switch in er9x? seems doable. by sending a 0 throttle and full rudder right singal.
4. it was recommended just connecting signal wires from rx and to motor esc to reduce noise, and using ext BEC as power source. why not use ext BEC and ONE BEC from the ESC to one of the motor as a back up? if one ESC fail, the other will be there. seems all the circuit are linked together.
5. the way it is set up now weighs 505 g including one 3S 2200mah 20C lipo. sounds a bit heavy? I am planning on using two 2200 mah in parallel that would increase the weight further.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Re: multiwii quadcopter

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:54 am

Man I haven't used multi Wii in years. Nonetheless, this should have what you need. Instead of using stick commands, using the GUI configuration you can assign flight modes to extra channels.

You can also turn off motor spin on arm, that's called motor stop, but in the air the motors will still stop at minimum throttle and the quad will rapidly rumble out of control in a difficult to recover way.

Arming can also be given an auxiliary switch in the GUI.

You can't wire multiple power sources too your flight controller.. The circuit isn't designed to handle this, you'll see massive instability or magic smoke. Their are fight controller designed with redundancy features but they're fairly expensive, see the pixhawk line.
https://www.sunfounder.com/learn/multiw ... ation.html
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Re: multiwii quadcopter

Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:00 am

You should tune something intended to be a stable slow flyer like this at a 1 to 2 weight to thrust at worst. At least that's the generally accepted rule for efficiency. The next rule is to use the biggest slowest propellers you can to achieve that if you're looking for flight time.

So you need to calculate your expected total weight and build your power train to support that.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.