Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

PSA For All Drone Pilots about new FAA Rules

Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:03 pm

Dear Drone Operators:

As you may have already seen in email alerts, the FAA issued a new regulation that registration numbers must be presented with proper "external marking" on drones that weigh more than 0.55 lbs. Of course, registration has been re-instituted for a while, but previously the registration number just had to be somewhere in the drone, usually affixed inside the battery compartment. The new rule now means that the number has to be visible on the exterior of the drone.

This regulation goes into effect FEB. 25 2019 (one day after I write this) and was only announced earlier in February, so there has been a very short lead time on this rule. I won't comment here about whether or not this is a worthwhile rule change, but for right now it's better to be safe than sorry.

As for what the requirements for "external marking" are, I quote from the Federal Register that is linked from the FAA announcement:
§48.205 Display and location of unique identifier.

(a) The unique identifier must be maintained in a condition that is legible.

(b) The unique identifier must be affixed to the small unmanned aircraft by any means necessary to ensure that it will remain affixed for the duration of each operation.

(c) The unique identifier must be readily accessible and visible upon inspection of the small unmanned aircraft. A unique identifier enclosed in a compartment is readily accessible if it can be accessed without the use of any tool.

My personal solution for my Autel Evo: I used a black Sharpie to write the serial number [my registered "unique identifier"] on the top of the drone near the front in a manner that is clearly legible to anybody who inspects the drone. The Sharpie ink seems to adhere well to the housing so it appears to be a good permanent solution that complies with the regulations.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: PSA For All Drone Pilots about new FAA Rules

Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:21 pm

Of course, registration has been re-instituted for a while, but previously the registration number just had to be somewhere in the drone, usually affixed inside the battery compartment. The new rule now means that the number has to be visible on the exterior of the drone.

Hmm... clause (c) of the bit you quoted seems to imply that inside the battery compartment is still OK, provided the battery compartment can be opened without the use of tools.

Edit: Oh, wait... is the part you linked the old rule?

Edit 2: Yeah, I guess I was confused about what the old/new rules were.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:28 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Of course, registration has been re-instituted for a while, but previously the registration number just had to be somewhere in the drone, usually affixed inside the battery compartment. The new rule now means that the number has to be visible on the exterior of the drone.

Hmm... clause (c) of the bit you quoted seems to imply that inside the battery compartment is still OK, provided the battery compartment can be opened without the use of tools.

Edit: Oh, wait... is the part you linked the old rule?

Edit 2: Yeah, I guess I was confused about what the old/new rules were.

Yeah, the regulations are being quoted for what the markings need to have for legibility, but the rule change is that these markings need to be on the outside of the drone. I think that part (C) of that regulation might be changed or removed if these new rules become permanent because inside of a battery compartment won't work.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:36 pm

Looks like you can order printed labels designed expressly for drone identification, but another possibility: self-adhering vinyl letters for mailboxes and such. Available at every hardware and home improvement store.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration