Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Will_Setter
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Can we take a moment to talk about headphones!

Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:47 am

Hey, so technically I consider my headphones part of my mobile tech and I hope you all do too. Just wanted to see what you guys are working with atm, music is part of my life and pretty much always listening to it when I can. With advances in technology and earbuds becoming more and more of a thing, I wanted to get some opinions on how everyone feels about the new "True wireless" earbuds.

:)

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Can we take a moment to talk about headphones!

Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:20 am

IMO wireless earbuds are a terrible idea. They are easy to lose, they're one more thing you need to worry about charging, and if you use them a lot the batteries are only going to last a couple of years (and are not replaceable). So you will be buying new ones periodically when the batteries wear out; yet decent ones are way too expensive to treat as disposable.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:28 am

For sound quality I prefer circumaural headphones over the In-Ear-Monitors (IEM) "buds." However I do want the mobility of the IEMs and recently been considering getting some good quality ones <$100. Been looking specifically at the Tin Audio T-series at Linsoul.com which (Mass)Drop.com discounts these as well periodically.

If you want more in-depth reviews HeadFi.org and HiFiGuides.com have several active forums. Zeos from the Zreviews youtube channel heads up the HiFiguides site. Lately he's been reviewing a lot more IEMs. My last headphone purchase was the Sendy Audio Aivas and I've been very impressed with the build quality and its planar driver performance. It does very well with electronic music. I still go back to traditional dynamic driver headphones for acoustic, classical and vintage rock music. I use the open-back Sennheiser HD58X Jubilees and closed-back Fostex TR-X00s most often for dynamic driven sound. Neither of these headphones are good for mobility though especially with planar drivers due to the heavier magnets in the drivers.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:19 pm

I don't really care for wireless headphones. They're expensive, easily lost, another thing to recharge, and really don't offer much in return in my opinion. I don't really see headphone cords as being enough of a hindrance to make up for those things.

For earbuds I use Sennheiser MX365 that I got for under $15 off of NewEgg... they sound great for earbuds - good bass, good dynamic range.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:31 pm

Sennheiser does a pretty good job of making even their inexpensive gear sound reasonably decent.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:17 am

Wireless earbuds are terrible for the reasons that everyone has stated. Since the iPhone stupidly lost its headphone jack, I got a set of Pioneer Rayz Plus.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Will_Setter
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:49 am

But I mean so many good brands are coming out with really cool ones that sound amazing, with their own little storage boxes that have pass-through charging, think I have about the same amount of a chance of losing my phone as my earbuds in this scenario.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:54 am

Will_Setter wrote:
But I mean so many good brands are coming out with really cool ones that sound amazing, with their own little storage boxes that have pass-through charging, think I have about the same amount of a chance of losing my phone as my earbuds in this scenario.

You still have the expense of replacing them every couple of years when the batteries wear out. I suppose if you tend to lose them every couple of years anyway, that's a non-issue? :lol:

Daynoh
Gerbil In Training

Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:39 am

I often use headphones when mowing and earbuds are a terrible choice as they don't block lawnmower noise. They have their place though--in a quiet place such as in the house or library, I wouldn't recommend them in a noisy area. To add insult to injury, they easily get lost.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:46 pm

just brew it! wrote:
You still have the expense of replacing them every couple of years when the batteries wear out.
https://hothardware.com/news/airpods-pr ... -junk-heap
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:48 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
You still have the expense of replacing them every couple of years when the batteries wear out.

https://hothardware.com/news/airpods-pr ... -junk-heap

Right on cue! :lol:

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:06 pm

I have closed-back headphones (AKG studio type), Apple Airpods, and the wired ones too.

All are fine for what they can do.

The AKGs are great in the studio AND on planes. The Airpods are good for carrying in my pocket and taking a call or listening to a podcast, live Iheartradio, or music at a moment's notice. The old wired ones are good for anytime I forget to pack one of the other two, so I keep a pair of these at my desks at work and at home, "just in case".

My Airpod batteries may be getting ready to go. The right earbud sometimes doesn't seem to accept a full charge. If they finally go dead, I'll look at other pairs first (I hear Raycons are good), but if nothing else appeals to me, I'll probably just upgrade to the Airpods 2.

I would never wear headphones when cutting the grass or doing anything outside. I need to hear my surroundings. I don't want to be that guy who got run over by a vehicle or got killed by a predator (2 legs or 4, it matters not) just because I was listening to some old Doobie Brothers song. :-?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:11 pm

BIF wrote:
I don't want to be that guy who got killed because I was listening to some old Doobie Brothers song.

rosstaylor9855
Gerbil In Training

Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:36 am

Yes. Whats your question?
Ross Taylor

sean121
Gerbil In Training

Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:22 am

I use skull candy personally and I must say that they are awesome and do tremendous job for me. They are not expensive as well.

SM1
Gerbil

Wed May 20, 2020 7:52 pm

I recently got back into gaming but this time around rather than a full blown PC setup I settled on a laptop. I enjoyed my 5.1 surround sound system but never before used headphones for gaming so I was a little concerned. In the end I put my foot in the water to try getting the Logitech G633 Artemis Spectrum headset and to my surprise I'm enjoying the sound and sound detection from around you using a headset. I have been happy with the results not to mention I don't disturb others by using a headset now. Another reason that the headphones were purchased to try was I no longer have a whopping big computer desk that was setup for all the added hardware so these have won me over now.

Simon