Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Android 101
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Smartphone with ethernet

Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:02 pm

I'm looking for a smartphone with ethernet (internet with a cable)

I've been looking on google for a few days. I've contacted manufacturers, but none seem to help with good information.
I do have an OTG Ethernet cable, but my 2 phones dont support it.

How can i get cable internet on a phone or android device?

Youtube video's show plug and play, but dont show which phones etc are used.

Please advice. Thank you

- Don't reply with, whats wrong with WIFI. Thats not my question.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Smartphone with ethernet

Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:20 pm

Android 101 wrote:
- Don't reply with, whats wrong with WIFI. Thats not my question.

I'm having a really hard time imaging a use case where a wired connection would be more practical than a properly functioning WiFi connection though.

According to this article, it should "just work" if you're on Android Marshmallow or later.

Maybe you got unlucky and chose an OTG Ethernet adapter that doesn't have Android driver support?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Android 101
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:50 pm

I found that article too yes.

Samsung Galaxy S6, but apparently that doesnt support it. Android version is high enough.

- So there is a difference in OTG Adapters?. Mine didnt say anything on the package. Only small letters "Works with most"

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:05 pm

The adapter needs to use a chip that has driver support in your phone's version of Android. Just because there's support for Ethernet OTG doesn't mean there's support for the specific Ethernet chip your adapter has. And I have no idea how you figure that out, other than by finding a forum post from someone else who has tried a specific combination of phone and cable and confirmed that it works, or finding a cable that specifically says it is compatible with your phone. Given that this is not a common use case, good luck with that...

Android 101
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:12 am

Ah oke, wel thank you anyway, maybe someone else has a good idea, else ill have to look further.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:36 am

Android 101 wrote:
- So there is a difference in OTG Adapters?. Mine didnt say anything on the package. Only small letters "Works with most"

Always. Even those OTG USB adapters are not made the same.

Seeing you have the S6, I will bring you the bad news: upgrade your phone to one that supports the Type-C connector. This is not exactly about the physical connector itself, but the timing of its introduction and the hardware/software for prevalent phones at the time. It appears (at least to me) the Type-C => ethernet/hub hardware is more compatible in general. I bought some random Type-C hub with ethernet and plugged into an S8. Plug and play. So that may be one way.

Although still the same question from JBI: why looking for a wired connection when it is a phone? AFAIK the S6 does not have DeX yet so not much point trying to get the phone tethered somewhere. Bad wifi at your place? There are other solutions.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Android 101
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:10 am

Flying Fox wrote:
Android 101 wrote:

Always. Even those OTG USB adapters are not made the same.

Seeing you have the S6, I will bring you the bad news: upgrade your phone to one that supports the Type-C connector. This is not exactly about the physical connector itself, but the timing of its introduction and the hardware/software for prevalent phones at the time. It appears (at least to me) the Type-C => ethernet/hub hardware is more compatible in general. I bought some random Type-C hub with ethernet and plugged into an S8. Plug and play. So that may be one way.

Although still the same question from JBI: why looking for a wired connection when it is a phone? AFAIK the S6 does not have DeX yet so not much point trying to get the phone tethered somewhere. Bad wifi at your place? There are other solutions.

Oke, well that clears things up a little more. I have to google DeX though.

I don't really trust wireless connections, but thats my problem, no use in debating that. Therefore im looking for a work around.

Android 101
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:22 am

--- Sidenote, for me it doesnt really have to be a phone.

Android wired. But not emulators for pc.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:10 am

FWIW most sites are HTTPS these days so wireless security is less of an issue than it used to be, since the traffic is end-to-end encrypted.

Android 101
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:00 pm

just brew it! wrote:
FWIW most sites are HTTPS these days so wireless security is less of an issue than it used to be, since the traffic is end-to-end encrypted.

I'm talking about EHS, but thats not what the topic is about.

I also saw docking stations etc... Anyone farmiliar with those?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:49 pm

Android 101 wrote:
I don't really trust wireless connections

You may as well go back to dumb phones since phones are designed to be wireless. Stick with your wired computer for your other stuff. Even Chromebooks don't necessarily come with an ethernet port nowadays, and most (if all) don't make phone calls.

I don't trust wireless connections for their stability and reliability. Security I pretty much gave up knowing that I'm trading convenience with a risk of being sniffed. There is no 100% security, even on wired. All it takes is an adversary of considerable motivation and resources, a rootkit or 2 later and you will be snooped in almost no time. Find a middle of nowhere place and stop connecting to the world? Feasibility aside, we have thousands of satellites covering all of the planet's surface. Get real please.

Android 101
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:54 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Android 101 wrote:
I don't really trust wireless connections

You may as well go back to dumb phones since phones are designed to be wireless. Stick with your wired computer for your other stuff. Even Chromebooks don't necessarily come with an ethernet port nowadays, and most (if all) don't make phone calls.

I don't trust wireless connections for their stability and reliability. Security I pretty much gave up knowing that I'm trading convenience with a risk of being sniffed. There is no 100% security, even on wired. All it takes is an adversary of considerable motivation and resources, a rootkit or 2 later and you will be snooped in almost no time. Find a middle of nowhere place and stop connecting to the world? Feasibility aside, we have thousands of satellites covering all of the planet's surface. Get real please.

This was exactly the type of post i wanted to avoid, it does not help to the solution im looking for. Read the last line on the OP

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:45 pm

Android 101 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I'm talking about EHS, but thats not what the topic is about.

You're asking on a tech site about a made-up syndrome. This is going about exactly as well as could be expected.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:32 pm

Have to look that up now that I kind of know where this was coming from. Then really, if your concern is that, you really should not be using a connected smartphone at all. If you are going to be tethered to some wire, what is the problem with an honest to goodness computer/laptop? You get a bigger screen and a proper keyboard/mouse to type with. I'm not certain what you are gaining with a phone form factor.

Besides, unless the phone is constantly in airplane mode, the antenna portion of the phone would still be connected to the cell towers (have you go burned down any 5G towers lately? that would definitely make you suffer more /s) or be in search of one. This means the device is designed to radiate stuff around it to begin with. Seriously, if you live in anywhere somewhat urban, your living space will be covered with EM waves all over. To what degree are you going to try avoid this, tin foil your whole place?

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:28 pm

You're trying to inject logic to something that inherently isn't.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:40 pm

Waco wrote:
You're trying to inject logic to something that inherently isn't.

Doing my part to help. I much prefer a real computer/laptop to connect to the internet anyways.

Android 101
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:04 am

TOPIC CLOSED

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:38 am

Surely the OP hasn't run out of conspiracy theories already?
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:17 am

Even with the WiFi turned off all modern electronic devices emit EM radiation. Modern USB ports/hubs emit strongly enough to interfere with wireless keyboards/mice, for example.

If you're that concerned about potential health effects of EM radiation you should not be using a smartphone/tablet in the first place. Or laptops/PCs/TVs, microwave ovens, or any vehicle manufactured in the past decade or so. They're all full of electronics that operate (and emit) in the low GHz range (same general frequency range as WiFi signals).

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:59 am

At least to round out the thread somewhat on-topic: in my experience, essentially these microUSB/USB-C to ethernet/USB-A/whatever dongles/hubs/docks are basically crapshoots. Need to buy one (or someone reporting in) to try and see if they work for sure. With "more open" OSes (ie. not Apple), there are just too many variables at play that may prevent the gadget from working. You can only test for sure.

Buy from a place with a good return policy is probably the way to go. Or, you can buy a few and do a review and bait some clicks. :P

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:33 am

I've dealt this kind before. Astrologers are a WEIRD bunch.

First lets define RADIATION: Simple means coming a center. IE spokes on a bicycle wheel RADIATE from the center.
(Yes I'm dumbing this down a LOT)

Next we need to define TYPES of radiation.

First Dangerous and Benign:
Dangerous means harmful and benign mean not gonna harm you in any way in most circum stances

Benign types of radiation are known as NON-IONIZING:
RADIO or electro magnetic (including microwave) shortwave, longwave, vhf etc. etc. Light including ultra violet and infrared (heat). Note that as you get to energies MUCH higher than ultraviolet you get closer to ionizing radiation. My favorite type of radiation: SOUND

Dangerous types of radiation:
Alpha and beta rays, from the radiological decay and xrays etc.
Note that radiological decay even though it contains the word RADIO does not mean an electromagnetic signal!

I think this reuse of the word "radio" is what is making people fly off their rockers.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Wirko
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:25 pm

A: please tell me how
TR: let me tell you why not

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:25 pm

How about getting an ARM dev kit that runs android? A number of them come with an ethernet port. There are a number of silicon vendors and thier partners that have boards with Android builds.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:45 am

tfp wrote:
How about getting an ARM dev kit that runs android? A number of them come with an ethernet port. There are a number of silicon vendors and thier partners that have boards with Android builds.

Do they have SIM card slot?

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:36 am

I'm sure there are a few that come with a cell modem built on or the boards can be paired with cellular modem. However most of these setups are open boards that you plug into the wall, there is no walking around with the device.

Android 101; Thinking about this more I would check to see if your cell phone has a community port of android supported for the hardware. If so ask them if they support a USB Ethernet dongle. If they do support some USB Ethernet dongles you'll just need to root, re-flash your phone, and buy the working device.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:15 am

tfp wrote:
Android 101; Thinking about this more I would check to see if your cell phone has a community port of android supported for the hardware. If so ask them if they support a USB Ethernet dongle. If they do support some USB Ethernet dongles you'll just need to root, re-flash your phone, and buy the working device.

Basically the same answer: you won't know until you ask or test yourself to confirm if these things work.