Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

mac_h8r1
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

PDA proposal

Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:07 pm

It's time for me to get a PDA. I need to be able to schedule my time better. I'm going to get the iPAQ with WiFi, Bluetooth, CF and SD.

It will be used for scheduling, storing contact info, of course. Also, I'll have spreadsheets for my classes so I can put in my scores and instantly have at my grade. I need to store passwords and other critical information about computers I fix at school and elsewhere. I hope to build a database so I can have reference to previous problems and solutions.

Wifi will be used for internet access so I can do my thing wherever I may be.

Here's the deal. I'm willing to pay the $400, because I see it as something I'll have with me through college, and thus not a major expense in the long run. I am frugal, however, and like to spend as little money as possible, mainly because it's only trickling in. How would you suggest I ask for a sizeable donation from my parents, other than that which has been mentioned already?

By the way, for all of you out there who would like to contribute to the "Get Michael an iPAQ" fund, feel free to PM me! :wink: :lol:
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:19 pm

Beg? :-D
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse

henry44
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:27 pm

I have an IPaq 1945 and do those things you mentioned. The only thing I wish it had was a CF slot in addition to the SD SDIO slot. The cost of WIFI cards for SD is finally getting to the point where I might get one, but for now I use the onboard bluetooth and access the network at home through a bridged connection on a computer. At school, I do the same. I find WIFI in the pda to not be as necessary as I first thought. It's ok for reading e-mail and quick replies, but any real internet use is tough on the small screen and no keyboard.

However, I love the way I can link notes to contacts to schedules. I also use the spreed sheet (Excel) for grades and other things. I also use the Windws media player quite a bit for mp3's and videos.

All this and $300, including an after market 256mb SD card.

Good luck........

the_silver_bullet24
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:35 am

Have you tried customizing a Dell dude?

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:31 am

the_silver_bullet24 wrote:
Have you tried customizing a Dell dude?

Actually those X3s for 349 do look pretty good. :) Bluetooth is nice, but WiFi is nicer.
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse