Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Nelliesboo
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Laptop Hardware Monitors and Speed controls

Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:45 am

RightMark CPU Clock Utility (RMClock) (Intel & AMD)

RightMark CPU Clock Utility (RMClock) is a small GUI application designed for real-time CPU frequency, throttling and load level monitoring and on-the-fly adjustment of the CPU performance level of the supported CPUs via processor's power management model-specific registers (MSRs). In automatic management mode it continuously monitors the CPU usage level and dynamically adjusts the CPU frequency, throttle and/or voltage level as needed.

Features
Real-time CPU clock and CPU/OS load level determination and monitoring (with optional logging).
Detection of virtually any form of CPU clock throttling.
Dynamic on-demand CPU performance state (P-state) transitions via real-time adjustment of the CPU multiplier (FID) and requested voltage level (VID).
Dynamic on-demand CPU clock modulation via real-time transitions between CPU clock throttling levels.
Advanced CPU-specific power management settings for AMD K7, AMD K8 and Intel Pentium M/Pentium 4/Xeon CPU families.
Support for multi-processor (SMP/HT/multicore) systems.

Supported Cpu's
AMD
K7 (Athlon/XP/MP, Duron, Sempron)
K8 (Athlon 64/FX, Athlon 64 X2, Opteron 64, Turion 64, Sempron)

Intel
Pentium II/Celeron
Pentium III/Celeron
Pentium M/Celeron M
Pentium 4/Celeron (Northwood and Prescott cores)
Pentium 4 Extreme Edition (Gallatin and Prescott cores)
Xeon (Prestonia, Nocona, Cranford and Irwindale cores)
Pentium D and Pentium Extreme Edition (Smithfield core)

RightMark CPU Clock Utility will run on unsupported CPU models, however, in this case, most of its functionality will be unavailable.

Notebook Hardware Control (Intel Cpu's & Chipsets)

With Notebook Hardware Control (NHC) you can easily control the hardware components of your Intel Mobile Notebook. Notebook Hardware Control helps you to:

Prolong the battery lifetime and cool down the system with CPU Voltage Control and ATI Clock Control. Full processor speed control with custom dynamic switching and CPU Speed Control (CPU policy). Monitor the battery charge level and system temperature. Control and monitor the Hard Drive with S.M.A.R.T management, acoustic & advanced power management and Hard Drive temperature monitoring. Reduce noise with Notebook FAN Control.

Info: Notebook Hardware Control works on all Notebooks with Intel CPU's. Some features are only available on newer PentiumM CPU's (Centrino).

SpeedswitchXP (AMD & Intel Speed Control)

SpeedswitchXP is a small applet that sits in the system tray and allows dynamic switching of the frequencies of mobile Intel and mobile AMD CPUs under Windows XP. During the development of Windows XP, Microsoft decided to integrate dynamic frequency switching into the operating system itself. On a default Windows XP installation, the power schemes in the power settings of the system panel control the frequencies of the processor. On Windows 2000 and previous operating systems, it was possible to manually control the CPU frequencies with a SpeedStep applet provided by Intel, but this is not possible anymore under Windows XP. It is not very good documented what the different Windows XP power schemes do and it is impossible to fully adjust the schemes as the important settings are not accessible through the control panel.

SpeedswitchXP tries to fill this gap in that it provides access to ALL power scheme settings. This small applet is similar in functionality to the native Intel SpeedStep applet for Windows 9x/ME and Windows 2000 but with a few more options.

Basically all it does is creating a power scheme under the power settings in the system panel and making this the default power scheme for Windows XP. When this is done, you can control all settings of this new scheme through the applet.

Since this program is using Windows XP's internal processor performance control functions, it should work on all notebooks that feature dynamic speed switching.

So far, it has been successfully tested on notebooks with the following mobile CPUs:

Mobile Pentium III-M
Mobile Pentium 4-M
Mobile Pentium 4
Mobile Pentium M / Centrino
Mobile AMD Athlon XP

CrystalCPUID (Intel & AMD)
Read this review before you use this software!
CrystalCPUID: User Configurable Cool 'n' Quiet

Features

Support AMD64/EM64T
Intel SpeedStep Control (AT YOUR OWN RISK)
AMD K6/K7/K8 Multiplier/Voltage Change (AT YOUR OWN RISK)
VIA CyrixIII/C3 Multiplier Change (AT YOUR OWN RISK)
Multiplier Management
MSR Editor/MSR Walker (AT YOUR OWN RISK)
Clock, Cache, System Clock, Multiplier
Feature Flags
CPUID
Process Rule
Code Name
Multi Processor
PCI Device List
Chipset/VGA information
BIOS Information
Change Dialog Font
Change Wallpaper
Last edited by Nelliesboo on Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:53 am

I'm running it, and it basically tells me I need to improve my cooling - it's what I use to say "Well, I'm throttling, because it's up to 94 C..."

It's a pretty nice program, but I DO wish more worked on non-Pentium M systems (like, oh, SpeedStep control? My P3 Coppermine supports SpeedStep, but CHC doesn't with it... At least I've got Intel's SpeedStep applet...)

Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:50 pm

CHC is da bomb. I've been running it on my new Dell Dimension 6000 and it's been working great. I love having the extra control over the processor when I'm unplugged, the Dynamic Switching works great too. I'd recommend it for anybody running a Centrino laptop.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:59 pm

Another thing I wish it did: It's got the ATI clock control. I've got an ATI card (Rage Mobility M). The ATI clock control doesn't work on it.

WHY?!?!?

Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:04 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
Another thing I wish it did: It's got the ATI clock control. I've got an ATI card (Rage Mobility M). The ATI clock control doesn't work on it.

WHY?!?!?

Works great on my Radeon X300 128MB! :P

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:20 pm

Hmm something I need to download and try out, good to know.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:24 pm

OK, I found out why all the cool stuff doesn't work...

CHC FAQ wrote:
Notebook Fan Control

Which Notebooks are supported?

Currently I know that Fan Control works on Samsung P35, Samsung P30, some Asus M2N and M6N.
This is an IBM ThinkPad X21.

CHC FAQ wrote:
Why do I can't change the ATI clock settings?
ATI clock is not supported or ATI clock control is locked if ATI's POWERPLAY(tm) is active. You have to switch off POWERPLAY(tm) to unlock CHC's ATI clock Control.
Hmm... sounds like I have to have POWERPLAY in the first place, which I'm sure the Rage Mob M doesn't have...

As for the neat CPU stuff, I'm guessing that it's a difference between the implementation of SpeedStep and Enhanced SpeedStep...

paco

Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:47 pm

5150 wrote:
bhtooefr wrote:

WHY?!?!?

Works great on my Radeon X300 128MB! :P

did you overclock it any?

Voldenuit

Re: Laptop Hardware Monitors and Speed controls

Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:07 pm

Also Throttlestop. Allows you to use turbo boost on some intel laptops even with more than 1 active thread.

I'm using RMClock myself on my Thinkpad X300, mainly to undervolt (runs fine at 0.9V). In the past I've used CrystalCPUID to dynamically OC my Opteron 165 desktop, and I've also used NHC in the past on various laptops I've owned.

On a related note, I use TPFancontrol so my cooling fan doesn't sound like a jet engine. The default ramp algorithm was much too aggressive, and with my undervolting, is uneccessary.
Wind, Sand and Stars.