Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

daveagn
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Laptop Squealing and Disassembly Question

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:20 pm

I'm holding working on a laptop for a friend of a friend. It's a 2002 Gateway Celeron. When the power cable is plugged in the laptop emits a squealing from the front right corner. I'm not sure what's there, but I suspect a hard drive. I can't test it on battery because the battery is dead. I'm trying to open it up, have removed all of the screws, but the thing is being obstinate about coming apart. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get this thing open, and what might be causing the squealing?

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:31 pm

You shouldnt have to take the whole thing apart to take the harddrive out...there should be a panel on the underside with 5 screws or so..take them out and the drive enclosure should come out. The squealing is sounding like a bad drive. Pull the top of the plugin off the drive and when you get a new drive..install it in the same manner. I suggest a 5400rpm drive..7200 are nice but they will run a little warm and the 5400 will be a big step up from the 4200 thats in there.
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

daveagn
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:36 pm

Well, it's not the hard drive. It's actually coming from the speaker, so right now I'm figuring out the best way to figure out what's causing it.