Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Fastfreak39
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

(Amateur) Laptop Repair Diagnosis

Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:42 pm

To make a long story short, I'm attempting to fix a friend's gaming laptop. I'm not as familiar with laptops as I am with desktops so I've come to ask for aid in diagnosing the possible problem. The laptop in question is an Asus M50VM-X1. I'm almost positive the Hard Drive needs to be replaced because upon start up it claims to be missing the boot manager and every attempted reinstall of windows failed among other similar issues. Here's where it gets tricky. The screen has "horizontal banding" that makes it unreadable when you start her up BUT if you physically flex the screen you can get it to work properly. I thinking it could be just a loose or damaged connector somewheres? Also the outer casing was chipped which isn't so much a big deal but I was curious if anyone has any experience ordering a replacement somehow? Perhaps through Asus?

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Re: (Amateur) Laptop Repair Diagnosis

Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:51 pm

It sounds like it's been dropped. Everything, up to and including the motherboard, has the potential to be cracked/damaged. It's probably done for.

Fastfreak39
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:10 pm

Yep, it was dropped. I don't think its a complete write off though. Granted I'm no expert but it does start up reliable and will go into the bios without fuss. I have a 30GB SSD that I may try to use to boot into Windows.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:12 pm

Fastfreak39 wrote:
Yep, it was dropped.

Good luck. doG only knows what was rattled loose on the motherboard. Even if it runs, don't ever trust it with irreplaceable apps/data.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Fastfreak39
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:37 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Fastfreak39 wrote:
Yep, it was dropped.

Good luck. doG only knows what was rattled loose on the motherboard. Even if it runs, don't ever trust it with irreplaceable apps/data.

It's only so he can play some games while he's at college. One of his hobbies is dropping laptops so it's more cost effective to repair this one rather than replace it. Unfortunately a desktop isn't an option right now, that was my first suggestion :(