Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

leor
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Good iphone/ipad app review sites

Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:52 pm

I was looking for some good sites that review iphone/ipad apps. So far from some google searches there's a lot of sites out there, but none of them really stood out to me, and you never know if site owners are being paid off to give good reviews etc.

I know it's a newish space, but have any of you guys found a Tech Report quality level equivalent for apps starting to pull away from the rest of the pack, or do you mostly rely on the reviews in the app store?

leor
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Good iphone/ipad app review sites

Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:17 pm

topic sort of a non starter, huh?

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:24 pm

Don't know about Apple apps, but for my droid stuff, its mostly word of mouth, and trial and error.
Even the best sites with highly touted apps let me down.

leor
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:04 pm

Dposcorp wrote:
Don't know about Apple apps, but for my droid stuff, its mostly word of mouth, and trial and error.
Even the best sites with highly touted apps let me down.

Yeah I'm getting the same thing. I'd be curious to know if any of these app sites even have an effect on people's purchasing. The only reliable app reviews I've ever seen are on established sites in their own topics, like IGN's reviews of games. Sometimes you'll see a site mention an app that stands out like Zen bound or Angry birds, but are there no dedicated app review sites of quality (the kind of quality and lack of bias that we're used to) that I've found.

Here are some I've seen:

http://www.appvee.com/
www.iphoneappreviews.net/
http://www.appcraver.com/

with appcraver seeming to be the best one so far.

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:19 pm

All the decent app reviews I've seen so far are outshoots of either modding communities, or tech sites with Apple content. But I don't buy that many apps so I haven't put any time into looking.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals