Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Premium Notebook Question

Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:09 pm

Isn't the Macbook Pro line about due for a refresh? It just seems like I've been comparing them to the HP Envys for a long time now and the specs haven't changed. Their next discrete graphics solutions are likely to be AMD based, which brings up the question: Who is on top for discrete GPUs in the mobile market right now? Also, if they were to make a 13" Macbook Pro soon, it would likely have an Arrandale processor, no? Is AMD coming out with an Optimus-like feature anytime soon?

I know these all seem to be aimed at Apple, but really I'm just interested in the notebook market in general. If I got a Macbook Pro, first thing I'd do is load Win 7. It's pretty sad that Apple does indeed have the nicest laptops on the market right now given the fact that they have so many competitors that could step up to them. Actually the HP ENVYs are probably up for a refresh too, which might make them more competitive with the MacBook Pros. They've been having heavy discounts lately. The ENVY 14s did have a 1600x900 resolution screen, but they removed that option, which makes me think that they are saving the screens for their next version of it.

I just want a quality made, portable laptop that I can crank up the settings for Starcraft 2, torchlight, and some old GOG.com games and play. Thanks in advance.
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Premium Notebook Question

Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:52 pm

What information have you seen that suggets AMD graphics chips could be in the next MBPs? As for an Optimus-like technology... I'm not so sure how much that would matter. Apple developed their own solution for graphics switching that is similar to but is not Optimus.

Loading Windows 7 on a MacBook ruins your battery life. As nice as MBP is I personally wouldn't own one unless I was willing/wanted to run OSX. Which, coming from a long time Windows user, is a very good OS. The only problem I've found is game support but SC2, WoW and TF2 all run natively in OSX now so it's not a big issue for me personally.

The Envy series is interesting but they're more graphics centric than the MBP models. You're going to get worse battery life with them too. Other concerns are potentially the screen. The MBP has the best laptop screen I've ever seen and with HP dropping the additional options on the Envy lineup screens it has me a bit worried. Also worth considering is the touchpad. All HP laptops I've used recently have had pads that I would refuse to use, put simply I wouldn't buy an HP laptop simply because their touchpads are so bad. I've heard the Envy touchpad is better now but again... a bad past has me worried.

What do you really want in your system? Do you have an ideal weight? Battery life you'd like to achieve? Size? Other must have features?

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:57 pm

I have actually read several articles that stated how unhappy Apple has been with nVidia GPUs and chipsets and others stating they were interested in working with AMD for future CPUs, even. However it is possible that those sources were rumor sites such as fudzilla, vr-zone, or semiaccurate so it may be that I should take it with a grain of salt.

I would like a good gaming laptop, but I don't want a 17" desktop replacement like I used to have. I have a pretty badass desktop now and I'm looking for something more portable. Anything from 11-15 inches is not out of the question. I'm not worried too much about weight as long as it has sufficient cooling. Not too worried about screen size as much as a higher resolution and quality screen. I would like a good battery life for playing a movie on a flight etc., but I will almost always be plugged in so it's of no huge concern. Also I hate even the best touchpads available, I will always use a mouse. In fact it's more of a bonus to be able to turn it off. I'd also like a built-in DVD player for movies, sturdy craftsmanship, and good design. Pretty much, if you know I'm in a toss-up between the MacBook pro 13-15" using windows and the hp envy 14 and hoping the next generations will pack just a little more punch for gaming, it's pretty easy to guess what my priorities are.

Jon
Gerbil Elite

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:09 am

If you can hold out, the Envy line should be getting a refresh soon. I know they have a 3D Envy out but the hardware specs will probably change early next year.
This is exactly what I'm aiming for.
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:17 am

Yeah, now they just need to stop loading everything up with crapware or at least add a "Fresh Start" option. Not that it's that much trouble to remove it myself, but it's still an annoyance.

Jon
Gerbil Elite

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:20 am

The software shouldn't really affect the performance of the machine, unless you keep the bloatware running. Just un-install everything you don't need, remove shortcuts from the desktop and the start menu, clean out now-redundant app folders under Program Files. Run CCleaner, Defrag then create a restore point.

Which Envy would you get? 17"?
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:46 am

I was looking at the 14. I used to be a fan of desktop replacements until I actually built myself a desktop. Now I just can't see myself lugging one of those around again.

This would be a laptop for bringing around with me when I'm not home. If I'm home I'll just use my desktop.

I also know about the new Dell XPS line. But I haven't seen anything about them that makes them a more attractive option.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:57 am

Sony VAIO Z with 8GB, a 1080p display and dual SSDs in RAID 0. A colleague of mine has one and it is sweet!