Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

In the Market for a New Laptop

Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:56 am

As the subject says, I'm in the market for a new laptop. I've been shopping around a bit and the first laptop I liked is the Lenovo Edge e425. Spec'd out like so:

ThinkPad Edge E425 Express
AMD Accelerated Processor A4-3300M
Windows 7 Professional 64
14.0" W HD (1366x768), AntiGlare
AMD Radeon HD 6470M
4 GB DDR3 - 1333MHz (1 DIMM)
Keyboard US English
UltraNav with TrackPoint & touchpad
720p HD Camera
500 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
Multi Recorder Optical Drive (12.7mm)
6 cell 2.2Ah Li-Ion Battery
Bluetooth 3.0
ThinkPad b/g/n Integrated WiFi wireless LAN adapters
3Yr Base Warranty Extension

The total for this comes out to $718.

Although my brother insists that I start playing World of Warcraft, I'll be doing office work more than anything. I'll be dual booting between Windows and Linux. (Windows for gaming, maybe some office work, but definitely Linux for most of my office work.) For my office related stuff, I need to run Emacs, Perl, PostgreSQL, and LibreOffice. (Work is on various versions of Microsoft Office, but I can probably get away with either Google Docs or Libre Office.) So, the work stuff is pretty lightweight given the data sets I'll be manipulating. (An entire year's worth of data amounts to ~50MiB CSV file.)

If I were to get this laptop, I'd increase the memory to 8 GiB. (Doing it myself because letting Lenovo do it means an addtional $160. Ridiculous!)

The three year warranty is a must. Just parts. I'm a fairly careful person and I tumble down stairs with the grace of Fred Astaire. I don't need accidental damage protection.

Lastly, this laptop is going to replace my workstation both at home and at work. So, I don't see myself as ever being very far away from a power source. I may run on the battery for my lunch hour or for the one trip I might be taking by plane. But, I generally read my Nook on breaks.

So, thoughts? Suggestions?
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.