Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Re: The new iPad (3rd-gen) has arrived

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:17 am

spuppy wrote:
Regarding 4-5 finger gestures, I think it's the BEST thing about iOS 5, and I find myself wishing my Android phone had such a feature (actually I think I saw a hack for it on XDA a few days ago, so I might just check that out)

It's not the same but I use Task Changer Pro to add "swipe zones" on the edges which let me either alt-tab, bring up the task list or other actions. I use it to simulate the "swipe from bottom" technique from WebOS as well as have alt-tab functionality. (To me, holding Home is just as terrible as double-tapping Home).

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:36 pm

ChronoReverse wrote:
Processing power and battery efficiency still has room to improve though but I don't think there's any reason not to get the iPad3 if you're in the market for a high-end tablet.

For the last 3 years it seemed like I was always about to get a new Win7 ultraportable but always ended up buying yet another iOS mobile. So yes, am probably getting one. If only Apple had optimized the new iPad towards at least 30% less weight, even at the cost of some performance and battery life.

I was considering hard-mounting the old iPad on my Toyota's console and also buying a used iPad2 for my kid. But the new generation represents such a huge leap forward in desirability that it makes less sense to stick with old plans, knowing that developers' focus will eventually migrate to newer standards.

trackerben

Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:11 pm

spuppy wrote:
...Whenever I find myself having to do anything other than goofing around with facebook or browsing web pages (1 at a time), it ends up being extremely frustrating. For instance just a few weeks ago I was on the road and a friend needed me to proofread a PDF presentation for them. Switching back and forth between the email app and ibooks was incredibly laggy, and made the task more cumbersome than using even the cheapest netbook would have been. Part of it was the OS' lack of multitasking, also I assume the low amount of RAM (1GB probably would have brute-forced the lag to go away) and part was the interface itself. Tablets are fun and intuitive for some things, but it's just not the right interface for actual work yet...

On an iPad1, iBooks can slow down with dozens of ebooks loaded, particularly in the library screen upon first view. Apparently some tasks grind slowly in the background when sorting and listing files. I believe this issue is partly a cause of the perceived UI lag when switching away from iBooks. Although not towards it, at least in my experience. Certain large PDFs render slowly on GoodReader. When performing drag-and-drop to GoodReader's Apps/File Sharing/Documents silo in iTunes, file transfers can be quite slow especially on an iPadv1.

Apart from these specific issues, most popular apps are fun. The problem with spreadsheets is that finger-pointing is not precise enough for the current tablet method of tagging cells. And too many operations require moving one's hand from keyboard to touchscreen and back too many times. Voice commands for cell manipulation may solve the first, UI refinement the second.

I can agree that tablets like the iPad are best for handy, nontraditional and on-the-go media consumption and situational awareness.

End User

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:10 pm

Wow. What a difference. The new display is lovely.

Interesting info on how close various displays are to "retina": http://goo.gl/CLihk

dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:48 am

I picked up a 64GB wifi model on Saturday afternoon. Took 5 stores to get that model, every store had heaps of 16GB wifi and 64GB 4G models left, 2 stores had 5% off. There seems to be a glut of iPad this time round at least in Australia.

A few downsides
- Recharging takes forever. 70% bigger battery = 70% longer recharge times.
- Sync takes a long time. This thing needs USB3 or wifi sync.
- 4 finger app switch and the notification center mess with my 3yr toddler's head. I wish there was a way to disable those features.

I'm hoping they bring profiles into iOS 6. It would be nice to have different screens for myself, the wife and the kids.

I'm yet to try icloud but does it sync games, awards, etc? or just apple apps and content?
SZ87R6/i5 4560 stock/24GB 2333mhz/840 Evo 250GB/Seagate 2TB/ASUS 760GTX/Dell 2711
Rainbows lie in corded knots
While thunder wakes the sleeping crocs.

dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:07 am

See they think of everything (almost, user profiles please).
SZ87R6/i5 4560 stock/24GB 2333mhz/840 Evo 250GB/Seagate 2TB/ASUS 760GTX/Dell 2711

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:21 pm

Damage wrote:
Honestly sounds to me like a very different experience than my iPad 2 has been. Perhaps other iPad 2 users can back me up here. App switching has always been pretty snappy for me, and the whole experience improved (especially web browsing, with multiple tabs) with the iOS 5 upgrade.

Makes me wonder if your iPad 2 didn't have a software or hardware issue of some sort. Was it running iOS 5? Had it been jailbroken? Any funny widgets or anything running? Rebooted recently? Hrmm.

Edit: Another possibility is that you were using older apps that weren't backgrounding-aware. If so, the app would launch itself again each time you switched to it. Could be the source of pain. Newer apps, man, just four-finger swipe left and right to move between them almost instantly.

Yeah app switching has been pretty much instant, and the tabbed browsing is very nice. I just wish they would keep your loaded pages in memory so you didn't have to reload a page when you switch from the browser to another app and back again.

dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:50 pm

Damage wrote:
However, the iPad 3rd-gen's display has a bit of a yellowish cast to it

I don't have an iPad2 to compare against, but compared with the original iPad, an iPhone4 and my spyder calibrated monitors the new iPad does not have a yellow tinge. Did you get a bad iPad? Is apple having the same screen / glue problems they had with the iPhone 4?

Anyone else want to weigh in on the yellow screen issue?

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:57 pm

Might be similar to the iPhone 4 issue with the glue that holds the screen. IF it's the same issue, it should fade over a little time.

Damage
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:16 pm

dragmor wrote:
Damage wrote:
However, the iPad 3rd-gen's display has a bit of a yellowish cast to it

I don't have an iPad2 to compare against, but compared with the original iPad, an iPhone4 and my spyder calibrated monitors the new iPad does not have a yellow tinge. Did you get a bad iPad? Is apple having the same screen / glue problems they had with the iPhone 4?

Anyone else want to weigh in on the yellow screen issue?

After looking at my iPad 2 and 3 side by side a little longer, I am, er, warming to the iPad 3's color temperature and color reproduction. The iPad 2's whites are almost tinged with blue, not necessarily a good thing, and the various shades of blue on the TR top nab section in the main site look much deeper and more proper on the iPad 3, with no purple and green tinting like the 2 has. So... No big deal overall. Mine is not drastically yellow.
Scott Wasson - "Damage"

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:03 pm

dragmor wrote:
See they think of everything (almost, user profiles please).

I know they're coming. I just don't know when. I remember seeing something about a patent for face recognition via the forward facing camera for profile distinction.