Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

10 Gigabyte Ethernet

Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:38 pm

I maintain a Windows network with Windows server 2019 essentials and 24 users, 4 printers, 2 copiers, and some wireless access points.

We run a server based application running on SQL that takes roughly 30 seconds to load up at the workstation, 20 seconds if you load it at the server. We attach to a cloud version of Exchange for email.

What I'm wondering is, has anyone upgraded to 10 Gigabyte switches and nics? Would it be worth it to upgrade to gain more speed? Would my end users (especially the ones paying for this) be able to see and feel the difference?

thanks,

mac_h8r1
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: 10 Gigabyte Ethernet

Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:02 pm

This forum is effectively dead. I think this is the most recent post, but for what it's worth, and if you haven't gotten a response, it may be.

Do you have metrics for the interface on the server? Is it maxed out at 900+ mpbs? Does the server have an additional NIC that you can bond and see if it helps? Is the server still using mechanical disks or is it SSD or enterprise flash? Often, workstations don't need any more than a gig connection, but the server can benefit from it. Your switch may even already have an SFP+ slot that you can use.

Long story short, I wouldn't upgrade the whole environment to 10 gig, just the server, but I'd also look at the server itself to identify other potential bottlenecks like disk speed and access latency.
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.