Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

just 2 computers

Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:48 am

I would like to set up a network but have just 2 computers.

I was wondering if this was possible:

I have DSL connected to my desktop currently. I also have a laptop with a wireless network card. Is it possible to put a wireless PCI card into my desktop and share out the net connection without buying a router? (i guess using my desktop as the router) I will not be adding any other comps to this setup if it is possible.

Thanks for any info
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:51 am

Definitely possible. First big question is what OS are you running?
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse

lex-ington
Topic Author

Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:03 am

I should have mentioned that.

they are both running XP-pro. The laptop has 512megs of ram and a 20gig drive.

I have never setup a network before so any info would be very much appreciated.

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:13 am

With XP it's relatively easy. You can pop in a PCI network card and then go into the properties of your network card, hit the advanced tab and then turn on Internet Connection Sharing. That being said, if you don't already have a wireless PCI card, I would look at getting a low-cost wireless router, either Linksys or Netgear. They cost about the same as the card and you save a lot of config issues by doing that, as well as protect your network better from attacks from the internet.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?description=33-124-002 would definitely be a good choice, and only 59.99
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse

lex-ington
Topic Author

Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:28 am

Damn. . . . do I ever love this forum. You guys are tops.

Unfortunately, if I order from newegg I will have to pay duty and shipping to get it into canada. I will buy a wireless PC card from [/url]www.canadacomputers.com[url]on the weekend. What will I have to do on the laptop end? Will i just do the same thing as on the desktop or will there additional info to be put in? I have Norton Internet Security as well as a program called ProPort to monitor all ports on my desktop.[/url]

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:02 am

Laptop shouldn't need a thing. And try to find a similar router in Canada. All the config you need to do should be on the desktop.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:48 pm

The advice is good so far, but I will add one thing. You will have to specifiy both wireless cards to work in an Ad-hoc Network. This is so they will talk to one another to make a connection rather then an access point.

You can find it on the main properties page for your wireless card setup.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

TopCop
Gerbil

Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:43 pm

Futureshop has had some killer deals lately. With rebates I got a SMC wired/wireless router and SMC laptop card for $70 total. Also Tigerdirect.ca has free shipping (never any duty) untill Xmas. I also have one wired PC and one wireless laptop...the router is the way to go.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:50 pm

Yeah, I've got to believe you can find a decent deal on an access point/router somewhere in the TO area. If you're willing to live with just "b" not "g" or "a" they're pretty cheap these days.

And having a discreet router is useful beyond security. You don't have to have your desktop running to get to the internet from your laptop, for example.