Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Email attachment gets lost

Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:07 pm

Missing email attachment began happening recently with a sender I frequently exchange emails with.
For experimental purpose I let him send the same email with the same attachment(pdf file) to my address I normally use(earthlink) and to my gmail address. The one received at gmail came with the attachment but the one received at earthlink did not. I forwarded the mail received at gmail to my earthlink address and the attachment came with it. Note that I am using web mail and not using any mailer software.

What could be wring?

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Email attachment gets lost

Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:50 pm

Maybe EarthLink filtering of some sort? Especially if it's a single message sent with two To or Cc targets to both EarthLink and Gmail. Check the headers in the raw email to see if there's any indication, and try other file formats.

And see these old threads on EarthLink missing attachments:
http://mailblog.earthlink.net/webmail/2 ... mail_1.php
http://forums.macresource.com/read.php?1,767933

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:53 pm

Sounds like Earthlink is blacklisting attachments from the sender's ISP. Probably a response to a flood of malware originating at the ISP in question.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:59 pm

The email is sent from iPhone 6 via gmail server. The experiment as in my thread starter post appears to points earthlink mail server but not all mail from iPhone has this problem.
I contacted earthlink tech support and my browser settings were changed through remote control session. I was told that cache and cookies were erased for possible remedy. The problem email sender has not send me test email yet to confirm. I am not sure if that would fix this problem.

Edit: The test email with an attachment has been received and the problem is found to be resolved.
I wonder how the cache or cookies could be the cause of the problem.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:45 am

It was confirmed with Earthlink that the solution by clearing Cache and Cookies is temporary fix and they are working on a permanent solution.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:05 pm

The forum links above suggest they've been working on a fix for years. :)

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:25 pm

With all the free cloud sharing options these days why not just send a link to those? It is not like if you are sending via email, the files are super secret anyways.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:08 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
With all the free cloud sharing options these days why not just send a link to those? It is not like if you are sending via email, the files are super secret anyways.
Are you suggesting placing file(s) in a cloud storage and emailing the link to it?

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:11 pm

churin wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

Are you suggesting placing file(s) in a cloud storage and emailing the link to it?

Yes, that is exactly what he's suggesting.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.