Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Cellular + Wireless Bridge Dual WAN Router?

Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:05 am

Trying to find an odd router that has functionality that isn't common I don't believe. Looking for a router that supports dual WAN (Failover mostly) that can accept possibly a SIM card for cellular as one of the WANs and then connect to another existing wireless network to bridge to wired/wireless clients connected to the network. This will be supplying internet to a boat that needs to rely on wireless when near port, and rely on cellular when out on the ocean, which has 4G out in the bay.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

madlemming
Gerbil XP

Re: Cellular + Wireless Bridge Dual WAN Router?

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:22 pm

I dunno if you're going to find one device that does all of that.. There might be something specially geared to maritime use, but you'd be paying a big markup for that.

Even just dual WAN with wifi as a WAN interface is tricky... Plenty of consumer wifi routers have dual WAN capability, (I know asus does it out of the box, and even more brands with 3rd party firmware) but I don't think there's an easy way to put it in wifi bridge mode and still have a second WAN port active.

So you may want to think about doing it piecemeal...
A wired or wireless dual-wan router.
A cheap wifi access point or router to go in WAN port 1.
A cell modem with an ethernet port to go in WAN port 2.

It's three boxes instead of one; but you can choose the devices that are good at a single purpose instead a being an all in one. And as a bonus, you could equip your wifi bridge device with a directional antenna for a long range link, and still have a local wifi network running off your dual-wan device.

wizardz
Gerbil

Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:39 pm

hello,

have your checked Peplink?
i know some of their cellular routers may have the functions you are looking for
http://www.peplink.com/products/max-cel ... -cellular/

hope this helps

Jon
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:19 am

A router that is compatible with Tomato Shibby's firmware can do that.
Alternatively, pfSense will most likely fit the bill.
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-