Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Re: Suggestions to extended my wireless network at home?

Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:47 am

seankay wrote:
Thanks a lot for explaining it to me. It seems interesting to me hwoever, as you said it won't work with satellite TV. I am a cord cutter and antenna and streaming guy so I think it won't be a great option for me. Will it be?
Plus the speed issue you told is really disappointing with Powerline adapters which is the primary reason why I am thinking about going all wired now! 

well are you using satellite TV or aren't you? If you have a dish it won't work unless you keep the satellite and MoCA signal separate. It's all about the frequencies that are used on the coax cables, regular cable TV is all between 50Mhz and 850MHz if I recall correctly, MoCA and satellite are above 1000MHz. Regular antennas for broadcast TV work at < 950MHz as far as I can tell, so using MoCA on it should be possible although I don't think it'll be easy because of how antenna amplifiers are powered

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:11 am

I have a two routers setup at my house. At one end is an asus rt-ac66u at the other is an old netgear n router they conectt via a 100ft cat 5e cable.

There are three channels in wifi 2.4ghz that do not overlap so one is on channel 1, other other on channel 6. If I ever need to, I can add one more on channel 11.
Since both routers are using frequencies that don't overlap I don't get any interference and I double the number of machines that can talk over wireless at the same time.

The second router has the router and nat side of things turned off so it acts as a switch and the up link is using port 1 not the wan port to the main router.

Pretty simple actually.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

seankay
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:08 am

Firestarter wrote:
seankay wrote:
Thanks a lot for explaining it to me. It seems interesting to me hwoever, as you said it won't work with satellite TV. I am a cord cutter and antenna and streaming guy so I think it won't be a great option for me. Will it be?
Plus the speed issue you told is really disappointing with Powerline adapters which is the primary reason why I am thinking about going all wired now! 

well are you using satellite TV or aren't you? If you have a dish it won't work unless you keep the satellite and MoCA signal separate. It's all about the frequencies that are used on the coax cables, regular cable TV is all between 50Mhz and 850MHz if I recall correctly, MoCA and satellite are above 1000MHz. Regular antennas for broadcast TV work at < 950MHz as far as I can tell, so using MoCA on it should be possible although I don't think it'll be easy because of how antenna amplifiers are powered

I am using two antennas of different frequencies to get my hands on as many channels as I can. So I think it will more than a hassle for me to go for MoCA!

seankay
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:09 am

Aranarth wrote:
I have a two routers setup at my house. At one end is an asus rt-ac66u at the other is an old netgear n router they conectt via a 100ft cat 5e cable.

There are three channels in wifi 2.4ghz that do not overlap so one is on channel 1, other other on channel 6. If I ever need to, I can add one more on channel 11.
Since both routers are using frequencies that don't overlap I don't get any interference and I double the number of machines that can talk over wireless at the same time.

The second router has the router and nat side of things turned off so it acts as a switch and the up link is using port 1 not the wan port to the main router.

Pretty simple actually.

Thanks a lot man! This is what I am looking for both of my floors. 

Doctor Venture
Gerbil First Class

Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:40 am

Count me in the Ubiquiti camp, as well.   I've deployed them commercially, both indoor gear, and outdoor gear for PtP backhaul links (and some with sectorized antenna setups to cover a large outdoor area) , and I love their equipment.

seankay
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:15 am

Guys I have setup the thing with and it took 60 ft of cable and it works like charm now. Thanks a lot for your suggestions :) Helped me a lot!

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:01 am

Awesome! Feel free to stop by anytime!
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD