Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: New Router Needed (bought - back to drawing board)

Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:43 am

I used the Linksys PLK300 (AV200) for 5+ years in a house built in 1965. Not the best of speed (<20MB/s in file transfer, enough to play 1080p MKVs off Windows file sharing) but it is absolutely stable compared to the weak and often interfered wifi signal. Recently upgraded to the TP-LINK AV1000 kit and I got about 3x increase in file transfer. I can't recommend Powerline enough if it works in your environment (I have heard detached house works better?).

What I am not sure is if you get a Powerline kit that is a wifi extender on one end, how good are their wifi capability?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:15 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
What I am not sure is if you get a Powerline kit that is a wifi extender on one end, how good are their wifi capability?

I used an AV500 with a WiFi bridge on one end for awhile. It was flawless. Strong signal, low ping, saved my phone battery from trying to constantly connect to the spottier main WiFi. Only thing is it's not a repeater/linked AP or whatever the fancy enterprise hardware is. It's just a separate hotspot that is bridged to the main network.

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:52 am

So....things got a bit weirder (in my mind) as I tested all 3 of the routers in my house.

The wireless router that came with my new internet service (Rogers) claims its a 1Gbs wireless router. So i used the speedtest on it and the speeds were solid (hitting around 80Mbs download speed consistantly over wireless......not bad). connected to the 2.4Ghz band and all of the devices worked flawlessly.

Speed tested the VPN router (Netgear R7000 running DD-WRT all the time). The speeds were not mind blowing but I could live with it. Connected all devices on the 2.4Ghz band and they all ran flawlessly.

Re-connected all devices onto the TP-Link Archer 2600 (the one I just bought) and the 5Ghz band speeds are solid - speeds tested at about 180Mbs download last night - the 2.4Ghz devices just kept dropping all signals, no matter which channel, no matter how close or far....it just didn't matter.

I am beginning to think its the MU-MIMO function that's causing the problem. The other two routers, nor the router it replaced (Dlink AC1200 little thing) gave or give me problems on that band except the TP-Link router. The question is...how do I investigate this further?
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:57 am

Just turn MU-MIMO off.

That isn't the issue though. MU-MIMO doesn't work on the 2.4GHz band. I really think it's a hardware issue. I hope you can still return/RMA it for a replacement.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:32 am

Sounds like u need to return that router.
When you buy a new one, dont forget to check for all the extra features, not just the speed quote.
For instance, we touched on MU-MIMO in this thread, but don't forget beamforming.

http://www.howtogeek.com/220774/htg-exp ... ss-router/

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/ ... a-p/181168

Gilligan
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:13 pm

What do you guys think of this deal?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-ref ... 0e2af00INT

I'm looking for a decent router for less than 100
If there's a will, there's a way.