Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

isp redundancy

Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:45 pm

I am currently switching to Fios from Comcast.  I am considering keeping the internet connection from Comcast as a backup.  What is the easiest way to use this as a fall over (if that is the right term)? I would like to have both cable and fiber optic available and to automatically go to the backup if the primary fails. Or is there a way to have them both active on the same network with different segments?  Is there a recommended inexpensive router that supports two wan connections?  Looking for any and all good ideas that don't break the bank.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: isp redundancy

Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:00 pm

Automatic failover is going to be a bitch with consumer gear, and will probably involve a fair amount of hackage.

If you can do without the automatic failover, I would configure both routers for the same LAN subnet, but make sure they have different LAN-side IPs and disable DHCP on the backup. When the primary fails, you'll need to manually change the default gateway address on any system(s) you want to continue using. Alternatively, temporarily disable DHCP on the primary and enable it on the backup.

If you don't mind rolling your own router using a Linux PC, you could put it between your LAN and the two routers, and have some scripts that change the default route for the Linux box based on which connection(s) seem to be up. Anything connected downstream of the Linux box would just come along for the ride and use whichever connection the Linux box is using. (This is the "fair amount of hackage" I alluded to above.)

I've actually got a manual backup now -- Comcast primary, legacy DSL backup. Probably ditching the DSL though, Comcast has been reasonably reliable. Just need to convince my wife to give up the e-mail address she's still using that is associated with the DSL line... :roll:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:10 pm

The Ubiquiti routers can do dual WAN. You'll just have to do a wireless AP separate, which is a good idea anyway.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
The Ubiquiti routers can do dual WAN. You'll just have to do a wireless AP separate, which is a good idea anyway.

Ahh, wasn't aware of that. Good to know.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:54 pm

I'll take a look at the Ubiquiti products.  Any particular one I should look at or just look around?

I have an Openbsd firewall that I'm currently just using with Samba, but I used to use it as a router, so I'll check out adding another nic and see what I might end up with that.

thanks,

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:54 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Ahh, wasn't aware of that. Good to know.

Yah, they have lots of nice, boring equipment.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:01 pm

titan wrote:
Yah, they have lots of nice, boring equipment.

Exactly what network equipment should be.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:03 pm

bigjohn888jb wrote:
I'll take a look at the Ubiquiti products.  Any particular one I should look at or just look around?

I have an Openbsd firewall that I'm currently just using with Samba, but I used to use it as a router, so I'll check out adding another nic and see what I might end up with that.

thanks,

I think any of their EdgeRouters can have a dual WAN. Their UniFI AP access points have been well reviewed. It's really much easier to work with them than it appears.

Skip the UniFI Mesh. The reviews are disappointing.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

bfg-9000
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:13 pm

Less, uh, boring would be Tomato Shibby which has dual-WAN although QoS is flaky.  Completely free if you already have a compatible Broadcom MIPs or ARM chipset router.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:19 pm

My Zyxel USG 50 can do it as well. It's been EOLd and replaced by the USG-60 (or USG-60W if you want wireless too). Not cheap if you buy new, but you might be able to find a used USG-50 for a good price.

--SS

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:34 pm

A Netgear FVS336G (check eBay) can do it for well under $100.  The only hitch is that Netgear makes good hardware, but sometimes-sketchy firmware.  When it works, it works.  When it doesn't, you may have to fidget a bit to figure out why. Also, you would need an AP for WiFi.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:12 am

What I think will work.
I put the following script in my Openbsd firewall in the ifstated.conf. I have both isps connected to different network cards, I only have given a hostname configuration for the fios one. If the ping fails to return from google, it copies the hostname information for comcast to a hostname for that network card. It then deletes the hostname for fios. It also copies the gateway information . Then it reboots to clear everything out of memory. Since I have a SSD, the reboot is pretty quick. The mygoat statement was just to see if it was running.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
init-state auto

net_check = '( "ifconfig egress | grep \"status: active\" && \
ifconfig egress | grep \"inet *.*.*.* netmask\" | grep \"inet 108.18.49.141\" && \
ping -q -c 3 -i 2 -w 1 www.google.com > /dev/null" every 120)'

state auto {
if $net_check {
set-state if_online
}
if ! $net_check {
set-state if_offline
}
}

state if_online {
init {
run "cp /etc/mygate /etc/mygoat"
}
if ! $net_check {
set-state if_offline
}
}

state if_offline {
init {
run "cp /etc/hostem0 /etc/hostname.em0"
run "rm /etc/hostname.re0"
run "cp /etc/backupgate /etc/mygate
run "reboot"

}
if $net_check {
set-state if_online
}
}
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:51 am

There are a handful of consumer routers that can do WAN failover out of the box now. I *think* my RT-AC56U can do it, but I don't wanna switch it out of AP mode to verify (unless you're really interested)